Exhill Works and other adventures in 7/8ths

John Besley

• RMweb Premium

'Exhill we have a problem...'

Fitted the Zimo MN300R replacment decoder in 'The Bat' and set up as Loco 1000 went through all the settings for a loco without sound and it runs a treat on the bench test board.

So put the Baldwin on the board to hear it again - nothing doing its got a dead short, checked everything I could think of and finally concluded that the stay alive i'd wired in must have damadged the decoder... seeing as how both of these didnt work anyway and one started a small fire in the first decoder... so to save further misery packed up the chassis and sent off to Digitrains to sort out - I cant afford to keep getting nowhere - at this rate might have to start a crowd fund to keep Exhill running...

So both locos are currently on blocks in the shed road sans chassis hence the big discussion ...

Problems....jpg.d32e7a802b57c2ae7912309c53171c25.jpg

Meanwhile I await with intrest to see what the outcome is as I have the big Hunslet to sort out sound for along with the 0-8-0 No 34

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Just to while away the time been pondering which colour picture looks better...

BW.jpg.36878fcd3dc94d8da2800ac45c8b88fc.jpg

A -1950's Black and White

1970s.jpg.491bb5a4e594bd5e952f12b116320f55.jpg

B -1970's film print from the corner shop

2000.jpg.a28bf464d01b5fd16721c3fdea9fead9.jpg

C - Current digital era

Be intreseted to see what is preffered on the odd occasion

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

With the talk by @KNP over at Little Muddle it got me thinking I need a weed killer train on Exhill....

I am away at my daughters so rummaged around found paper and pencils in the granddaughters art box and came up with the concept sketch below...

IMG-20240126-WA00002.jpg.f4cac2e13c428c539f041f31348ec40f.jpg

The first wagon has the drum containing the weedkiller will be a small barrel that came from the Falkirk wheel shop originally contained whiskey 😀  - now long since enjoyed..

This will have the sprayer bars and nozzles.

The middle one will have a small donkey engine and crankshaft driven pump and controls.

And the third wagon will have the concentrated weedkiller in drums and possabily sacks along with a second water tank.

Still in the design thought process stage...

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Just an update on the 0-8-0 No 34 the cab fittings are now al back in place having remade a couple that went missing - theregulator and the ashpan damper control, the loco iscoming together and expect to start on the next stage of weathering etc...shortly

Meanwhile this is the footplate...

Footplatebackheaddetails(3).jpg.ce6d35da24981690cd38e1cf74a19a3c.jpg

Footplatebackheaddetails(4).jpg.8a751ebb6c9375e5472300d9e574cada.jpg

I have only done a bit of weathering here not in anyway finished, need to add oily patches and coal dust etc,

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Almost finished and couldnt resist a bit of a play trial run, the weathering is almost finished just need to complete a couple of details along with the coal for the tender to dry, this is fitted on a lift out plywood section with 7mm holes drilled through and ali mesh bonded over so the speaker can sit underneath

Steamingtrials(1).jpg.0708474516c47cbacd41d785614e5ea5.jpg

Steamingtrials(3).jpg.c4a324051431de684870591dc7673125.jpg

Steamingtrials(4).jpg.a0e1172480e0698d533192bb1c64726c.jpg

Steamingtrials(8).jpg.b649714d161b93f4e7a6a7d7dee5914b.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

So the next project is on the go while I am still off work... this classes as hand therapy (and brain)

A while ago I picked up some Gresley coaches for the boigies and chassis to build a couple of coaches for the estate railway ...

Stripped down the Gresley chassis and removed the bogies, milled off the battery boxes on the chassis

Removingbatteryboxes(1).jpg.0c70735b5115d99919e4c152f56a7e56.jpg

and cut off the Hornby couplings and brake gear leaving a slimmed down bogie,

Modifiedboiges.jpg.35aba71ec1e0cf68562ef4013044c2d1.jpg

Refitted the wheel sets as 14.1mm dia steel wheels and checked for clearance, all looking good so far...

Subfloor.jpg.fabd40391e00544e04796bbff0e73776.jpg

Then cut out a strip of plasticard to make the subfloor out of at 53mm wide, this was cut to length and two sections of 5mm L section fitted allowing the Gresley coach chassis to sit inside this frame.

Thats enough for today visit to Hospitol tomorrow so need to see where we go from here.... but as regards the coaches I have a idea...

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Today I Cut and fitted all the compartment seating areas, the guards end will only have the single seat to allow for storage and the handbrake stand with the seating in one section only, in addition the guards end panel is higher to protect the rear of the train.

GuardsCoach(2).jpg.89d720fdfbc726a8b52ac253585b8ae5.jpg

On checking the rolling stock found that with the Hornby bogie mounts there is far too much sideways rolling so set about turning up a bush and washer to solve this problem

Boigemodification.jpg.d5b4713b1ab703e8cacfcb9d62b55753.jpg

Once I’d resolved this issue the buffer beams where sized up and fitted in place 

ExhillCW.jpg.be0fd3fa2cc593e75ad480a76153b9b6.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Sorted out the buffer beams, and made up 4 sets of chopper couplings ready to fit.

Cut and fitted the moulding trim on the bodies as well as cut out all 8 doors, added door stops, made up dummy latch boxes for the slam handles and fitted the doors, polished up 8 x T handles and sealed with clear lacquer, next  made up dummy “piano hinge” and fitted this once the doors were in place then cut and fitted 48 dummy hex head bolts from 1.5mm Plastistrut section.

Hunted up a brake wheel and turned up a brake column from some scrap bar then drilled and bolted this into the floor of the guards compartment

ExhillCW(1).jpg.d6913ef862b70fb2bc47be704ebfc831.jpg

ExhillCW(2).jpg.6b772575beac3df95b4a3165f68880d2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
On 03/02/2024 at 00:04, SteveyDee68 said:

Will No 34 be named at some point?

She’s a handsome beast (all praise to her builder) and so seems eminently worthy of an appropriate name!

Steve S

Hello Steve,

Thank you for the comment, (dont get many) I had considered it briefly but looking at the build as she progressed I couldn't see anywhere logical to fit nameplates, and it kind of didn't fit with my thoughts as a yard shunter, the number is kind of a tounge in cheek nod at Bulleid light pacifics, note No:34 does indeed have a Bulleid whistle and power classification.

Bear in mind Exhill Works has a number of ex 72A shed staff on the books, hence they were wanting to keep the memory's alive

No:34  kind of evolved from the aborted Tinkerbell build as I couldn't get the valve gear to run satisfactory, so to settle the desire to have a steam loco settled on the H0 loco and designed her on the hoof. Having spent much of my life in and around or working on full-size locos I knew what I needed to include to make her believable.

The cab fittings had to be practical for a miniture loco but not too tiny that they became unfeasible, as a rule of thumb I delved into 15" gauge locos RG&ER RH&DR etc. everything you would expect to find on a full-size loco is there.

I would like to build a 2-6-2 or 2-6-4 tank next based on an Exmoor Engineering design ... just bidding my time to find the right chassis done... maybe a Ivatt tank or 80000 might turn up with DCC socket... now there's a thought 

Feel free to comment 

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi John

I’ve followed this thread for a long time. How about a short local name like Beer or Exton? A nod to the West Country class. It could be placed over the top of the top lining, as per the EM1 & EM2 nameplates. Just a thought.

Keep up the excellent work and I hope the Wrist is healing well.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Ramrig said:

Hi John

I’ve followed this thread for a long time. How about a short local name like Beer or Exton? A nod to the West Country class. It could be placed over the top of the top lining, as per the EM1 & EM2 nameplates. Just a thought.

Keep up the excellent work and I hope the Wrist is healing well.

Steve.

Hello Steve

Now that's a thought It could well work on the tank engine as and when... I like the choice of names.

As and when the 10.1/4" Bulleid gets built this will be Exeter possabily as 21C101 or 34001 in early BR livery in Malachite Green, so I can't use Exeter on the tank... but Beer or Exton sound good

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColinK said:

If one loco is to be named ‘Beer’ perhaps the other should be ‘Cider’.

I’ve visited Beer*, but never been to Cider!

Steve S

* Three times with my family to visit Pecorama and once, memorably, aged 17 when I went on my own travelling from Tipton St John using public transport - that turned out to be a long day out!

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I’ve visited Beer*, but never been to Cider!

Steve S

* Three times with my family to visit Pecorama and once, memorably, aged 17 when I went on my own travelling from Tipton St John using public transport - that turned out to be a long day out!

I've been driven to Beer... and Peco many times, last time was in May 2022 on my Birthday...

20220527_114908_HDR.jpg.07deb684bf6ec5be148710ea82e11626.jpg

20220527_114935_HDR.jpg.db40551a2626887665788d2ff7442a6b.jpg

20220527_134514_HDR.jpg.82f38197388e3b4d87d4c7a19793efa5.jpg

Turned out the driver was also a SDR fireman (after I'd come off the footplate there) so we got an extra free ride

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well it was back to work today of sorts... I was begining to enjoy semi retirement but hey ho... needs must and seeing as I can at least drive it was back to the grind stone of life.

Meanwhile a bit of progress on the coaches, but the PW dept got wind of this and pestered the engineering that - ' you know the semi scrapped coach behind the works that got dumped if you want us to sort out the winter maintenece and spring time clear up youd better think how we as in the two of us are going to get around as we're not walking everywhere when Joe public get to ride so...'

There have been dark mutterings and threats of duffing up round by the bike shed.. 

So - anyway watch this space

Edited by John Besley
Trypo
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

And here is the PW dept works crew transport

PWDepartment.jpg.d242c6809f209a07134642f41d34b7a4.jpg

The old coach body had one section cut out and stiffened up to allow the timber sides which lift out to drop into some U section channel along with the tying eyes on the solebar, the passenger doors where removed leaving the bolt holes in the sides as was the remains of the seating support in the load area no doubt a plank will be slung across then to provide stowage space as well.

The bulkhead was stiffened up with some T section angle iron

• Like 6

Your C & W Dept are doing an excellent job for your PWay Engineers. Just a case of repelling S&T boarders sneaking their cranks, rodding and cables on board.

I bet the PWay ganger will be asking for some appropriate words concerning "ownership" on the sides.

I do like your approach to (and speed of!) modelling.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Fishplate said:

Your C & W Dept are doing an excellent job for your PWay Engineers. Just a case of repelling S&T boarders sneaking their cranks, rodding and cables on board.

I bet the PWay ganger will be asking for some appropriate words concerning "ownership" on the sides.

I do like your approach to (and speed of!) modelling.

The S&T department have taken note and are pestering for a van of all things, well they can jolly well wait ... we need a couple of box vans for for far more important jobs than a fiddly bit of cable and a phone...

(They are also on my build list once I've brained them up...)

You can be absolutely certain they will be lettered up for the correct department - possabily as EXHILL PW & Estates Dept... I need to see what is available from Fox transfers as I need something for the coaches as well, also need to cross reference coaching stock signage etc

• Like 4