Exhill Works and other adventures in 7/8ths

John Besley

• RMweb Premium
On 11/02/2024 at 20:31, SR71 said:

I'm not sure of how your models scale out against other models but Hornby Tinplate O Gauge was generally lettered over size (I had been meaning to post asking if a picture of one of your models next to something for scale would be possible).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152453868180?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=m0SyvMLtTJS&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=uL-JGcPYSsK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162412991229?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=m0SyvMLtTJS&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=uL-JGcPYSsK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Hopefully they might be of use? I fear they may be too small though. Hope you find something.

Thanks for the links and an idea... anyway as you asked here are a couple of photos showing the size of my loco's compared to ones in 0 gauge, 00 and H0....

comparingsizes(1).jpg.9f68ea845beec1c9cc780fa92d175726.jpg

No4 uses a Lima class 33 chassis and runs on 16.5mm track (00) the class 33 body is ex Lima again and alongside is a No27 Nellie

comparingsizes(2).jpg.556a584c7b6b9a346044f09d11377035.jpg

No 4 this time alongwith a much modified MDC Boxcab in H0 I converted way back in 1984 used a class 25 roof section and fitted sprung buffers (yes I do love boxcabs and I will build one for Exhill at some point)

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

No problem with the links. Those old O gauge transfers might work for you and also some of the ones they do for the larger dinky lorries. I have used them and was happy with the results.

Seeing your engine in context really highlights it's mass. I liked them before but I like them even more now, thank you.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Had a bit of a rethink on the paintwork and was unhappy with the shade of green not finding anything at Halfords that fitted the bill i ordered the correct shade of BR(S) enamel from Phoenix Precision – this will come by the end of the week so I will wait until then to sand down the existing green which is too bright as a undercoat thus allowing it to go nice and hard by then.

Meanwhile finished making the seat bases, these will be finished off in a antique pine stain that Ive had for something like 20 years...

Paintwork(3).jpg.f33f6213750aad577d847e2f9d42a49a.jpg

Looks far to bright .... this looks worse in real life 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

The tin of rail match BR(S) coaching stock green arrived... somewhat disappointed to say the least this comprises of mostly sating varnish with a sniff of green paint in so cut my losses and decided that id consult the Exhill Works C&W department... having peered into the depths of the tin themselves and checked some old paint chips from an old PMV parcel van decided that they would stick with the bright green.

'Well it is almost Malachite green and seeing as where supposed to be looking on the bright side of life - lets go with that, it’ll be alright' So with that decision made painted the coach ends and solebars matt black at the same time sprayed the chassis rusty brown.

Paintwork(4).jpg.76f1ef9c23fc339113661a8d2f770a8d.jpg

The seat bases are all made now as are the seat backs ready for staining, our driver from No 34 insisted on trying out a coach to see what he thought...

I havent made up my mind whether to leave the insides as they are or paint in a differnt colour ... any thoughts anyone please 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Traditional for insides would typically be some kind of cream? Have to say I've had a distinct lack of success completing this combination on my stuff though.

I think the current green looks just the job on the outside.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Personally I’d stick with the matching paint inside and outside - not just for an easy life, but because the high seat backs are both inside and outside at the same time (visually).  Also, with the wooden seats, there will be a different colour inside anyway (I’d fancy a nice wood stain or varnish rather than paint for them).

All depends if the Gaffer is the kind of bloke who’ll go with any suggestions from the shop floor, or (out of habit) insist on going for something different as a matter or principle - I’m sure we’ve all worked with / for management of both types, Keith.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Good point Keith, and SR71 (sorry can't remember your name) I think I'll stick with the body finish, but add some wear and tear - the type you'd expect over a season or two, there is still the wooden floor panels to make up.

The seat and back rest will be stained old pine... 

.... need some old crisp packets and lolly sticks to go under the seats ... hmmm 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Just caught up with the latest progress today. I agree with above comments, a work worn appearance with associated rubbish on the floor, will look good with a few cigarette ends thrown in for good measure. 
Are you planning any markings on the outside of the coaches? Numbers, owners name EWR etc?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ramrig said:

Just caught up with the latest progress today. I agree with above comments, a work worn appearance with associated rubbish on the floor, will look good with a few cigarette ends thrown in for good measure. 
Are you planning any markings on the outside of the coaches? Numbers, owners name EWR etc?

Yep, Fox transfers in hand and going to number up as a set from the Exmouth Branch running as set 152... 

I hadn't thought of EWR... Exhill Works Railway or EER Exhill Estates Railway

To be honest thought I'd just give them the S4xxxx numbers only, (The PW department crew carrier will have PW Department on it).... hmm needs thinking about and some research done, there's time as they won't get gloss varnish for a few days as I need to paint the black again as I only gave it a thined coat to eliminate brush marks - call it a glaze, it's an idea I picked up from a military modeling youtube channel.

Thanks for the input

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

There's a lot to be said for military modelling techniques there are a lot of very useful hacks to be had from military modellers.

Regards Lez.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Ordered up a set of EXHILL ESTATE RAILWAY transfers for the three coaches and the PW DEPARTMENT, then set about lettering up the two coaches and adding in the set number, Just got to wait for the other transfers to finish off these.

Paintwork(5).jpg.a33319128b6e9f266514edb3b1855b82.jpg

Paintwork(6).jpg.39e15c69c0359832466a62130306bc0d.jpg

I am quite please with the chassis and boigies as these do look like miniture railway boige sets

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, John Besley said:

Ordered up a set of EXHILL ESTATE RAILWAY transfers for the three coaches and the PW DEPARTMENT, then set about lettering up the two coaches and adding in the set number, Just got to wait for the other transfers to finish off these.

Paintwork(6).jpg.39e15c69c0359832466a62130306bc0d.jpg

I am quite please with the chassis and boigies as these do look like miniture railway boige sets

Something about this made me think of Mr Bulleid's doubledecker sets. If the engineers have a lull in their schedule after the weedkilling train is built,  perhaps the PW team could regret having "...pestered the engineering that - ' you know the semi scrapped coach behind the works that got dumped...".  After all, does the estate railway have any overbridges and wouldn't an opening roof hatch facilitate tree trimming?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Pete Haitch said:

Something about this made me think of Mr Bulleid's doubledecker sets. If the engineers have a lull in their schedule after the weedkilling train is built,  perhaps the PW team could regret having "...pestered the engineering that - ' you know the semi scrapped coach behind the works that got dumped...".  After all, does the estate railway have any overbridges and wouldn't an opening roof hatch facilitate tree trimming?

Hmm that sounds like the infamous Triang giraffe 🦒 van...

R348_1578230_Qty1_ruler.jpg.21cbe70cb9e460ed1438a5f9b4d9a89c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

"Infamous"? You mean brilliant surely. 

I think you may both be correct in your respective choice of word

One Triang giraffe van = brilliant

An alleged collection of Triang giraffe vans squirrelled away somewhere and so large it almost takes on mythical status = infamous 

One who makes such a collection = notorious (as in the: 'The notorious collector of Triang giraffe vans').

Pete

goats2.jpg

Edited by Pete Haitch
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

And in other news .... the chassis and decoders are back from Digitrains, now working fine, although every now and again the sound decoder stops the sound clips and will only restart after the power is removed - by taking the loco off the track and re selecting the loco again... not sure what that's all about.

I've done the first part of wiring adaptions to Exhill to get DCC up and running, next need to wire up some jumpers to keep power to a couple of sidings.

But otherwise pleased with the result, Only part of the NCE Powercab I don't like is the long trailing cable from the front plate to the hand held controller, just wish they provided a coiled cable like they do for the cab link modules.

I could also do with a spare track connection block so I can plug into a bench programing track, maybe when Exhill Mk2 is built I can incorporate this into the build process

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Do you exhibit Exhill Works and its merry band at all - if so do you have any shows coming up?   Whilst my siblings in Dawlish and Bovey are important to me, it doesn't stop me planning visits to coincide with other events occurring in the area - hence the question.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Pete Haitch said:

Do you exhibit Exhill Works and its merry band at all - if so do you have any shows coming up?   Whilst my siblings in Dawlish and Bovey are important to me, it doesn't stop me planning visits to coincide with other events occurring in the area - hence the question.

Much as I'd like to, I have other commitments on weekends, in theory it wouldnt be that hard to take to a show as the boards are only 48" long or there abouts... But Exhill is probably going to remain as a home layout ... I am pondering a YouTube channel as a virtual exhibition...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

And now the coaches are lettered, the one that will be the PW Department coach has the lettering on in the same place as this coach will be weathered to reflect its story and conversion to departmental stock

Lettering(2).jpg.32256e17e42fe02abbf6a3e7dc47b42e.jpg

In a day or two these will be varnished ready for the next stage of paintwork.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/02/2024 at 07:15, John Besley said:

Hello Steve

Now that's a thought It could well work on the tank engine as and when... I like the choice of names.

As and when the 10.1/4" Bulleid gets built this will be Exeter possabily as 21C101 or 34001 in early BR livery in Malachite Green, so I can't use Exeter on the tank... but Beer or Exton sound good

Any more thoughts on a name for 34? Those coaches really look the business now👍👍

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ramrig said:

Any more thoughts on a name for 34? Those coaches really look the business now👍👍

Many thanks, regards a name for No 34... hmm can't say I've thought any more about that, my attention has been taken up somewhat with the sound decoder side of DCC and finishing the coaches.... along with a need to complete a customers showmans engine rebuild and other parts orders knocking on my door.

I need to get on with some paid jobs to generate the ££ for the next decoder for either No 4 or No 34 can't decide which .... No 34 might leap frog the queue on that one, although No 4 is first...

Oh I don't know, I need to sleep on it

• RMweb Premium

With the lettering now done the PW coach had its paintwork faded by washing on a thin coat of light green, ready for the next stage of lettering for its change of identity, this is shown alongside the guard coach to show the difference

PWDeptCoach(2).jpg.3d712fb401c6780b7118697330b1a249.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1