Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

RevolutioN Trains announce "Caroline" Inspection Car in OO gauge and EOI for one in N gauge

MGR Hooper!

Dapol Imperium 1 working fine for me.

f0 - headlights (directional)

f1 - interior lights

f2 - tail lights (directional, requires f0 on)

f3 - step lights

f4 - search lights  (directional, requires f0 on)

I've put tape over the contacts at the loco end so lights at this end.

18 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Stupid question time again, but where did you get the decoder as I’ve tried looking it up and I can’t find anyone who stocks it.

Hi jools1959, got mine from Ebay, think it was 11 quid or there abouts, plus postage.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, KDG said:

Thanks Tony. I've tried those, but they keep uncoupling on curves (radius 3 and 4). I bought them when they first came out, perhaps they've upgraded the magnets since then.

I haven't had any problems with them, think I had more with the original couplings. Found the WHWW ones were a little difficult to attach at first, but once in then they were OK. No uncoupling problems which I did have from memory with the original ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 669cpb said:

Dapol Imperium 1 working fine for me.

f0 - headlights (directional)

f1 - interior lights

f2 - tail lights (directional, requires f0 on)

f3 - step lights

f4 - search lights  (directional, requires f0 on)

I've put tape over the contacts at the loco end so lights at this end.

I've fitted a Lais 860019. I can't get either the step lights or search lights to work and the tail lights won't stay on as f2 on my Prodigy Advance didn't latch. The interior lights flicker badly on the move, Purely by coincidence, when I was at my club yesterday someone had left out a copy of the March 2022 Railway Modeller which had an advance review of Caroline. The review stated that production models were to be fitted with a stay alive capacitor - doesn't look as if this is the case.

I'll try again with the step and search lights, but could I have a faulty model?

On 07/08/2023 at 21:43, St. Simon said:

Hi,

I know I've said to a lot of people I wouldn't buy a Caroline as it would be a modern image layout cliche........but having seen the photos I've ordered the Rainbow Railways one!

Oh well, it'll look great on Bryn Y Benin Mawr behind my NR 97!

Simon

Succumbed too ............... because this is me back in 2010 bowling through Weybridge (not my photo) up front sat next to NR's Head of  Track telling  him how great the PW in my area is ........................ 3400h.p. in the rear and a bacon sarnie to hand (👍 WCR who were the operators that day - they hired in the locos)

975025-caroline-37423-37409-wloo-soton-wey-15jne2010-imgp7312.jpg

Edited by Southernman46
Pedants
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

Succumbed too ............... because this is me back in 2010 bowling through Weybridge (not my photo) up front sat next to NR's Head of  Track telling  him how great the PW in my area is ........................ 5400h.p. in the rear and a bacon sarnie to hand (👍 WCR who were the operators that day)

975025-caroline-37423-37409-wloo-soton-wey-15jne2010-imgp7312.jpg

Another 37 might make it to 5250hp...... 😉

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, matchmaker said:

I've fitted a Lais 860019. I can't get either the step lights or search lights to work and the tail lights won't stay on as f2 on my Prodigy Advance didn't latch. The interior lights flicker badly on the move, Purely by coincidence, when I was at my club yesterday someone had left out a copy of the March 2022 Railway Modeller which had an advance review of Caroline. The review stated that production models were to be fitted with a stay alive capacitor - doesn't look as if this is the case.

I'll try again with the step and search lights, but could I have a faulty model?

I've changed the decoder from the Lais to an Imperium 1. Despite them apparently being the same decoder, the step lights and search lights now work! I'll now have to try to get the tail lamps working.

As for the flickering, has anyone fitted a stay alive to Caroline?

7 hours ago, matchmaker said:

Do the lights work okay on DC ?

Does the decoder work okay light wise on another model ?

19 hours ago, matchmaker said:

I've changed the decoder from the Lais to an Imperium 1. Despite them apparently being the same decoder, the step lights and search lights now work! I'll now have to try to get the tail lamps working.

Yes I had a problem with flicking lights, gave the track a good clean and the problem went away.

19 hours ago, matchmaker said:

Ill be fitting a Rails/DCC Concepts chip later that has the built in stay alive, purely as I have some available

• RMweb Gold

Hi Folks

Please ignore my earlier comment on using a full 6 power output decoder (as originally mentioned). 

You will need a 6 function (4+2 logic output) decoder to access all of the lighting functions. As decoders are often a personal choice due to manufacturer or budget, there isn’t a particular one that we recommend as what would be right for one person, wouldn’t necessarily be that of another. 

In regard to some decoders not working even though they are 6 function (4+2), please make sure that you have pushed the decoder firmly home on the pins. 

For any warranty queries, or help with anything else, please send an email to support@revolutiontrains.com (as per the instruction manual) and our Customer Service and Warranty Manager Simon will assist you. Please be mindful that he’s just returned after a two week holiday and his inbox may be a little full with emails relating to other RT queries.

Edited by Revolution Mike B
  • Informative/Useful 1

39 minutes ago, LaGrange said:

Ill be fitting a Rails/DCC Concepts chip later that has the built in stay alive, purely as I have some available

Hi Lagrange

The Rails Connect decoder does not have a direct stay alive connection - it is a 6 full power version.

The Dccconcepts ZN218 does have a stay alive connection - but the current version is a 6-full power umit and will not operate the functions connected to AUX3/AUX4.

But - watch this space (DCCconcepts) for a 4+2 type.

Best Regards.

The DCCconcepts Team

• Like 1

On 13/08/2023 at 22:06, Denny said:

I finally unboxed my NR Green Caroline, purchased through Rails, today. The model is absolutely lovely with incredible details. Even the GSMR, video camera, and OTMR equipment in the cabs have been faithfully reproduced!

She's missing a horn, with no trace of it in the box. I've already sent an email to Revolution with every confidence they'll sort it out.

It seems the Hornby HM7000 21-pin chip is not compatible with the model. The decoder connects to the app but none of the functions operate any of the lights. Bit of a shame but until I'm allowed a permanent railway room, the HM7000 control system is my only option. 

The lights work with the blanking plug fitted, so I've used the dip-switches to turn off the ones I don't want on all the time. Annoyingly, I realised that I've wired up my plank in a way that the lights illuminate on the wrong end, and I don't have a way to switch them. D'oh!

Well, after a good sleep and fresh eyes. I've revisited things.  Turns out I'm denser than I thought - you only need to tape over the F & R contact pads on the CB or you render all the lights inoperable.  

After taping over the correct pads, I can confirm the model IS compatible with the Hornby 21-Pin HM7000 chip and all the lighting functions work correctly.

There's also plenty of room for a  speaker in the kitchen! So, my Caroline currently sounds like a Deltic but with the engine switched off, the horns and air release sounds work well. I guess the VEP profile will be more suited when it releases next year. 

Oh, and during my momentary bolt of genius, I also swapped the polarity of the layout. There's no stopping me now! 

Revolution kindly responded to my email regarding the missing horn with a note to say one has been put in the post. Wonderful service! 

Quick phone vid. Swapped the profile to the class 73 although I think I prefer the Deltic horns. The 37 currently has the class 31 profile installed, whilst I wait for Hornby to release their 37 profile. 

Edited by Denny
  • Like 4

I notice that everyone is getting their model of 'Caroline' but as of yet I have had no email to advise me to pay my balance. The website update says all emails have been sent out so am just trying to fill in the gaps. I have emailed Revolution but I suspect they are busy.

Many thanks.

Chris

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WhiteRoseRambler said:

I notice that everyone is getting their model of 'Caroline' but as of yet I have had no email to advise me to pay my balance. The website update says all emails have been sent out so am just trying to fill in the gaps. I have emailed Revolution but I suspect they are busy.

Many thanks.

Chris

Did it go to your Spam folder?  I received my e-mail to pay the outstanding balance on 25 July 2023.  It was sent from orders@revolutiontrains.com.

Edited by Dungrange

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, WhiteRoseRambler said:

Many thanks.

Chris

paid in 2020 and still awaitng for mine so must be really busy if they have not sent out peoples order who have paid after 2020

Well, managed to get LaisDCC 21 pin decoder from Digitrains, fitted it, all working part from the tail lights, phone them up, F2 which are latched and won’t stay on, 5 mins they told me to put in CV 36 and change the value to 64. Now the tail light work on F5. Brilliant service. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, WhiteRoseRambler said:

I notice that everyone is getting their model of 'Caroline'

Not everyone is receiving their model of Caroline.

I received my email to say mine had been despatched on 5th August - 10 days ago! - but no sign of a delivery as yet. I have been in touch with Revolution, but alas no response so far. I guess they are just very busy sending out the models, but it is tough seeing everyone's videos of their new toys and not knowing what has happened to yours.

Not sure, Chris, of how many of us are in the "eager but anxious" group.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, Fordbank said:

I received my email to say mine had been despatched on 5th August - 10 days ago! - but no sign of a delivery as yet. 

Of course that could just be the automatic e-mail that you receive when you pay the final balance (assuming you only paid 50% up front).  As it says on the website, that doesn't mean anything.