RevolutioN Trains announce "Caroline" Inspection Car in OO gauge and EOI for one in N gauge

MGR Hooper!

13 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Postie delivered this morning despite saying Monday yesterday IMG_20230805_095901.jpg.da81cab380b71ff5cfb9176e00486d19.jpg

Oooh! That does Look very nice! Looking forward to receiving mine from Rails. 

If you find yourself with the urge to post more photos - don’t fight it! :)

11 hours ago, Revolution Mike B said:

Folks, I will reiterate. The model was designed to work with a full 6 function decoder, and as @newbryford has informed me, a 4 + 2 will not be suitable, which is what I alluded to earlier. As far as I’m aware, a Dapol Imperium was used, but I am waiting to hear from my colleagues to confirm this, however, as I previously stated, any 6 function (full 6 power outputs) decoder will work but please be mindful that some decoders are far bigger than others and may not fit. 

Good to know as I have a spare 6 function Imperium!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Confirmation from my colleagues - we used a Dapol Imperium 6 function decoder to test the models.

There should be other 6 function decoders that will be perfectly fine, but just remember to follow our instructions with the model that say “For DCC Control of red tail lights, tunnel search  lights, and footstep lights functions, please see decoder documentation”.

Edited by Revolution Mike B
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, JJC said:

Received mine this morning. Small amount of shipping damage to the horns, but that was quickly sorted.

just one thing though..

Is it me, or is it MASSIVELY overscale?

Think it's the narrowness forming an optical illusion. It's certainly narrower than a Baccy Mk 2 and the roof height is comparable.

14 minutes ago, JJC said:

Received mine this morning. Small amount of shipping damage to the horns, but that was quickly sorted.

just one thing though..

Is it me, or is it MASSIVELY overscale?

My concerns. 

According to the scale rule, it's just over 67' long, and it towers over the Dapol 73 I was planning on running it with

20230805_101011.jpg

20230805_102209.jpg

20230805_103049.jpg

20230805_103124.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Caroline isn’t a 58ft or 62ft6 (from that PDH drawing which is out on all the dimensions) but a 63ft or 64ft6 chassis depending on which dimension you use (body/chassis/over buffers etc). 

Cheers Mike

Edited by Revolution Mike
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Revolution Mike said:

Caroline is a 58ft or 62ft6 (from that PDH drawing which is out on all the dimensions) but a 63ft or 64ft6 chassis depending on which dimension you use (body/chassis/over buffers etc). 

Cheers Mike

I'm fine with the PDH drawing being wrong (not exactly unheard of), I'm just trying to work out why it looks massive compared to everything else

13 minutes ago, Revolution Mike B said:

For DCC Control of red tail lights, tunnel search  lights, and footstep lights functions, please decoder documentation”

For clarity are you referring to any documentation provided with a decoder or a separate document that was not enclosed with mine.

The supplied instructions reference F0 as working headlights, marker lights and headcode and F1 as being the interior lights. Tail lights, searchlights and solebar footsteps lights have DC switch settings listed but no DCC function.

Are the DC switch settings entirely redundant for DCC?

Found the body needs a seventh thin card on the opposite site to that shown to  release it and best done with model upside down. 

This is the interior along with the inside of the roof (blanking plug removed)IMG_20230805_104711.jpg.5de6a6c4a1ac8ae0817ef411886360e7.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

For clarity are you referring to any documentation provided with a decoder or a separate document that was not enclosed with mine.

The supplied instructions reference F0 as working headlights, marker lights and headcode and F1 as being the interior lights. Tail lights, searchlights and solebar footsteps lights have DC switch settings listed but no DCC function.

Found the body needs a seventh thin card on the opposite site to that shown to  release it and best done with model upside down. 

This is the interior along with the inside of the roof (blanking plug removed)IMG_20230805_104711.jpg.5de6a6c4a1ac8ae0817ef411886360e7.jpg

Many thanks for the pic with the lid off! That answers my question about the HM7000. Looks like it could be a goer! 

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Revolution Mike B said:

Confirmation from my colleagues - we used a Dapol Imperium 6 function decoder to test the models.

There should be other 6 function decoders that will be perfectly fine, but just remember to follow our instructions with the model that say “For DCC Control of red tail lights, tunnel search  lights, and footstep lights functions, please see decoder documentation”.

Thanks for that, was planning on using an Imperium in mine. Decoder documentation for the Imperium could be a challenge being that there practically isn't any 😀

For reference, the 6 function Imperium is a 4 full + 2 logic level function decoder.

Edited by Kaput

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

The documentation that comes with the decoder.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Kaput said:

Thanks for that, was planning on using an Imperium in mine. Decoder documentation for the Imperium could be a challenge being that there practically isn't any 😀

For reference, the 6 function Imperium is a 4 full + 2 logic level function decoder.

There are two versions of the Dapol Imperium. One is a 4 power +2 logic and the other is a full 6 power output. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, JJC said:

The more I look, stare, measure, it just looks too tall. I was wondering if it was ride height, but again, that doesn't appear wrong. 

I'm just confused why it looks so tall

I haven’t received my model yet, but curious having seen the comments here today I’ve just googled and some photos of 37418 with Caroline on Flicker and the one on Revolutions own website suggest the roof height of the real Caroline is no higher than a real 37 (not 418 anyway) and possibly slightly lower. 

Or is the height of the Acc 37 wrong ?

10 minutes ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

I haven’t received my model yet, but curious having seen the comments here today I’ve just googled and some photos of 37418 with Caroline on Flicker and the one on Revolutions own website suggest the roof height of the real Caroline is no higher than a real 37 (not 418 anyway) and possibly slightly lower. 

Or is the height of the Acc 37 wrong ?

Here’s some shots from when I saw her. It definitely looks like Caroline might be a tad lower than a 37. 

AZ6I3268.JPG

AZ6I3281.JPG

AZ6I3299.JPG

K76A8010.JPG

Edited by Denny
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Revolution Mike B said:

There are two versions of the Dapol Imperium. One is a 4 power +2 logic and the other is a full 6 power output. 

According to Dapol's site the Imperium 1 is a 6 function (and I know its a 4+2 cause I have one) and the Imperium 3 is an 8 function.

In typical usefulness for the documentation for Imperium decoders the description for both says "Note: Aux 3,4,5 & 6 are Logic level outputs (per MTC specification)".

• Friendly/supportive 1

I've attached a few more files to demonstrate the height issue.

I think I'm going to discount the Dapol 73 as it does appear to be low/wrong. However  I've placed it against a Bachmann/Kernow TC and a Heljan 33/1 to compare. (Also the 33 against the 73 showing why the 73 can't be trusted)

20230805_113905.jpg

20230805_113900.jpg

20230805_113750.jpg

20230805_113828.jpg

20230805_113759.jpg

20230805_113855.jpg

20230805_114014.jpg

20230805_113722.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

34 minutes ago, Kaput said:

According to Dapol's site the Imperium 1 is a 6 function (and I know its a 4+2 cause I have one) and the Imperium 3 is an 8 function.

In typical usefulness for the documentation for Imperium decoders the description for both says "Note: Aux 3,4,5 & 6 are Logic level outputs (per MTC specification)".

Dapols own website says this (if it helps)

Hoping there are some manufacturers instructions with it!

IMG_7861.png.6ff0246ecd0fe4840e8249d0671ffdc2.png

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
Move text

6 minutes ago, JJC said:

I've attached a few more files to demonstrate the height issue.

I think I'm going to discount the Dapol 73 as it does appear to be low/wrong. However  I've placed it against a Bachmann/Kernow TC and a Heljan 33/1 to compare. (Also the 33 against the 73 showing why the 73 can't be trusted)

20230805_113905.jpg

20230805_113900.jpg

20230805_113750.jpg

20230805_113828.jpg

20230805_113759.jpg

20230805_113855.jpg

20230805_114014.jpg

20230805_113722.jpg

The air horns and buffers on the TC and Caroline seem to line up ok. Cannot comment on the Heljan 33 or Dapol 73 for dimensional accuracy as I have neither.

• RMweb Gold

My "Caroline" has arrived this morning...

20230805_120359.jpg.6ed7b92a0dc750bdd40fb6a5484dea81.jpg

Out of the box, it's an impressive model and well worth the wait. Thanks to the Revolution guys for all the hard work on this model.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1