RevolutioN Trains announce "Caroline" Inspection Car in OO gauge and EOI for one in N gauge

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Now, down to the possible height.... discrepancy.

I've tried it up against a Mk1 coach, the DTS of a Bachmann Class 205, and it's a little bit higher than the thumper, but not overly so.

Looking at it the model, it's sitting a little high on it's bogies. I noticed that there were some thin (10 thou?) clear plastic shims on each bogie pivot. Taking each bogie off and taking the shims out (keeping them in the box of course) seems to have improved the height a little.

However, I've just put it up the side of my kit-built DC-Kits 2-Hap, and they are about the same height.

I'm really not going to argue over a mm height difference, we all know coaches would ride at different heights, depending on load anyway, so I'm happy with mine.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

Looking at it the model, it's sitting a little high on it's bogies. I noticed that there were some thin (10 thou?) clear plastic shims on each bogie pivot. Taking each bogie off and taking the shims out (keeping them in the box of course) seems to have improved the height a little.

It will be interesting to see how that affects running. It's probably in there for a reason!

• RMweb Gold
Just now, TomScrut said:

It will be interesting to see how that affects running. It's probably in there for a reason!

Yes, it's probably in there for clearance for running round R2 curves. So your mileage may vary....

As my layout is an end to end, and the sharpest points I have is small radius Y and a couple of double slips and it seems to go round those no issue, so I should be fine without them. But there is a reason why the shims are staying in the box.

Coupled up with my Dapol 73.

20230805_123237.jpg.cda6024050fd3b70b0183b13eae6b815.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

41 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

😀

There are a couple of those shots which make it seem a touch lower than the loco - think a lot of the height issue is the completely different body profile that is compressed on model form compared to the full size.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

When are these used in real life?

Tunnel and bridge inspections. Obviously along with the step lights they probably are not something that might get used much so a 4 function decoder may suffice. The Lais one being typically £11.95 + postage.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Bogie shims/washers removed on Caroline to the right.  Slight but noticeable reduction in overall height compared to the unmodified B/G saloon on the left.

IMG_9495.jpeg.b53ef6adbb6830ce02aa135084879a69.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

Looks like you were quick to get them weathered!

• RMweb Gold
Just now, TomScrut said:

Looks like you were quick to get them weathered!

I was airbrush weathering some wagons and the Class 33 so took the plunge and made use of the paint that was left over.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

The cheap Lais 860019 decoder (£13.50 from Digitrains + postage) works it fine;

F0 Headlights, marker lights and (if fitted) headcode

F1 Interior lights

F2 Tail lights

F3 Solebar footstep lights

F4 Searchlights

Obviously the need to program it in a loco first.

IMG_20230805_131112.jpg.f9cce07318224ba8031e66ec1d84d2c6.jpgIMG_20230805_131154.jpg.8ffffd2c17729f8c81bded3235f68621.jpg

Hi Butler Henderson

Cannot seem to get the solebar or tunnel lights working and I am using a 6 function AE decoder (DCC Concepts).

All the 4 dip switches underneath the coach are in the on position and instructions don’t say any should be changed.

Is that the same configuration you have on your model?

Regards

John

• RMweb Premium

Just got mine out of its box, and it's a fantastic looking model !!

Not tried it on the layout yet, but really looking forward to doing so....

The only problem I can find is that the horns are round at the end, instead of looking battered !! 😆

IMG_1027.JPG.bf876f41753135247ee04727908078d3.JPG

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Hi Butler Henderson

Cannot seem to get the solebar or tunnel lights working and I am using a 6 function AE decoder (DCC Concepts).

All the 4 dip switches underneath the coach are in the on position and instructions don’t say any should be changed.

Is that the same configuration you have on your model?

Regards

John

Hello John

I didn't change them

Maybe that decoder has 2 logic outputs of its 6.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Hello John

I didn't change them

Maybe that decoder has 2 logic outputs of its 6.

Hello again

Changed decoder for an 8 function Dapol Imperium and still no joy with sole bar or tunnel lights!

Am I doing something wrong?

Regards

John

31 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Has anybody successfully fitted a Lokpilot v5 MKL? I prefer ESU decoders and want to know if one will fit. 

Many thanks,

Roy

I might be able to update you on Monday if it turns up (meant to be). Will check with a non MKL first, but undecided if I can be bothered taking a Hattons 66 to bits to retrieve an MKL one or to just order another. I too prefer ESU and fit them wherever possible.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Tunnel and bridge inspections. 

I bet the model doesn't have a working one of these for controlling the searchlight..............

975025a.jpg.8bc97ff534172e1e4d17894d095e07e3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

So many doors on Caroline, is that so if the boss comes through the first door the staff can pdq rush out the back doors ?

Not sure anyone should be discussing Caroline's front and back doors in public.

• Funny 7

21 hours ago, JJC said:

My concerns. 

According to the scale rule, it's just over 67' long, and it towers over the Dapol 73 I was planning on running it with

20230805_101011.jpg

20230805_102209.jpg

20230805_103049.jpg

20230805_103124.jpg

Hastings demu site quote lenght of 'long' version of the demu cars as 66ft 8in over 'buffers'. Obviously as caroline has actual buffers that protrude beyond the buffing plates (which were the original trailer vehicle lenght), it will be a little longer. Can you re-measiure length from one buffing plate to the other?

https://www.hastingsdiesels.co.uk/1001/#technical

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Informative/Useful 1