RevolutioN Trains announce "Caroline" Inspection Car in OO gauge and EOI for one in N gauge

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, I kind of want one of the current versions of these now - to go with my Accurascale Concrete Bob (which I had no intention of buying but Rule 1...). Does Revolution do what Accura does and when the quality checks are done and orders sent out, release a few "extras" to the shop?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Hmm, I kind of want one of the current versions of these now - to go with my Accurascale Concrete Bob (which I had no intention of buying but Rule 1...). Does Revolution do what Accura does and when the quality checks are done and orders sent out, release a few "extras" to the shop?

Rails had them but looks like modern green is now sold out.......

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/caroline-975025-inspection-saloon-current-network-rail-green

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/caroline-975025-inspection-saloon-network-south-east

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/caroline-975025-inspection-saloon-blue-grey

the others seem ok to order.........

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Hmm, I kind of want one of the current versions of these now - to go with my Accurascale Concrete Bob

If it helps reduce disappointment if you can't get one, I don't think it has ever worked with 37425 in current livery.

Relevant DRS locos that have been done as current include 37402, 37409 (both by AS) and 37424 (by Bachmann). Unsure as to which ones have been done in DRS compass as that's not my era of interest.

Other locos that have hauled it/her recently are Colas' 37421 (Bachmann) and 37418 for Loram (Bachmann).

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

If modern Brunswick/whatever it is Green is sold out then next best thing is probably the Rainbow Railways exclusive in Viridian Green (2008-2015 I think)

https://rainbowrailways.co.uk/product/revolution-southern-region-general-managers-inspection-saloon-975025-caroline-viridian-green/

Edited by TomScrut
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Craig1989 said:

Mine turned up this morning and looks lovely. I was looking to give it a run on the layout tmwr. As I do dcc and haven’t got a chip for it yet would it still be possible to do this or wait till I’ve got a chip? 

cheers Craig 

Take the blanking plug out, then yes

56 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

https://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/oo/departmental/

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

If modern Brunswick/whatever it is Green is sold out then next best thing is probably the Rainbow Railways exclusive in Viridian Green (2008-2015 I think)

https://rainbowrailways.co.uk/product/revolution-southern-region-general-managers-inspection-saloon-975025-caroline-viridian-green/

Thanks @TomScrut,i got one but was just trying to help @Bucoops,he needs to get his skates on as LL blue 37402/409 will be hard to find too :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've just put in a 'pre-order' for the b/g version. I'm obviously hoping they will have enough allocation to meet it, will see what happens.

Well done to Revolution Trains for bringing this to Market given the challenges of importing and supply issues, Caroline looks superb..!

Just a quick question are the pipes and fittings already fitted to the Coach at both ends?

Judging from the comments I understand these models are DCC ready not DCC Fitted, can they be DCC Sound fitted for the horn?

Look forward to receiving mine from TMC.

Thank you again, all the best.

Many thanks,

Chris 

Edited by Chrisjh
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Chrisjh said:

...Just a quick question are the pipes and fittings already fitted to the Coach at both ends?...

Many thanks,

Chris 

Hi Chris

The models are supplied with a tension lock coupler pre-fitted into the NEM socket at one end and a drop-head buckeye at the other.  The buck-eye can be removed for customers who want tension lock at both ends.

All the electrical 'orange' conduits that won't interfere with coupler throw are pre-fitted too.  The air pipes that could potentially cause coupler interference issues, and a drop-head buck-eye for the other end, are left for the customer to add to choice, and there are clear instructions on how to do this in the owner's booklet supplied with the model.

Retailers will begin getting their models from next week and we will continue to process any oustanding pre-order models as balance payments are completed, but the priority for us is always those who pre-ordered and paid in full up front.  This seems only fair.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi Chris

The models are supplied with a tension lock coupler pre-fitted into the NEM socket at one end and a drop-head buckeye at the other.  The buck-eye can be removed for customers who want tension lock at both ends.

All the electrical 'orange' conduits that won't interfere with coupler throw are pre-fitted too.  The air pipes that could potentially cause coupler interference issues, and a drop-head buck-eye for the other end, are left for the customer to add to choice, and there are clear instructions on how to do this in the owner's booklet supplied with the model.

Retailers will begin getting their models from next week and we will continue to process any oustanding pre-order models as balance payments are completed, but the priority for us is always those who pre-ordered and paid in full up front.  This seems only fair.

cheers

Ben A.

Many thanks Ben much appreciated and thank you for all the hard work your team have put into this, I absolutely agree par-paid should be despatched first and thank you for the update. Best Wishes

Chris  

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Revolution Ben said:

cheers

Ben A.

Assuming this is for me - of course I wouldn't expect it any other way. Fully aware I am VERY late to the party!

Magic thank you - order placed :)

1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Thanks @TomScrut,i got one but was just trying to help @Bucoops,he needs to get his skates on as LL blue 37402/409 will be hard to find too :)

I seem to have thoroughly broken the multi-quote but the help is most appreciated thank you. I don't intent to go for a LL one as nice as they are. There's still time for Caroline and Bob to couple and as they will be running on a 1939 layout anyway 😂

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 05/08/2023 at 11:25, Revolution Mike B said:

There are two versions of the Dapol Imperium. One is a 4 power +2 logic and the other is a full 6 power output. 

Sourcing a suitable decoder.

If there are indeed two versions of the Dapol Imperium and more importantly one works and the other doesn't, how is one supposed to distinguish between them?

Unhelpfully Dapol's own idescription does not help: it states that the Imperium has two full pwer functions and that functions 3,4,5,&6 are all logic level functions. 

It appears that an ESU Lockpilot FX is suitable but try finding one with UK postage.

Mick (Newbryford)  suggests that the Hattons 21 pin "of a couple of years ago" was six full power functions, but the current (heatshrinked) version appears to be 4 +2.  And I was relying on your wisdom, Mick.

So what to use?   

Perhaps the most helpful role that RMWeb could play is if those of you who have successfully installed a decoder in Caroline which also fits, then list it on this thread.  

And thanks Ben and all at Revolution for producing such a fabulous model. I can't wait for mine to arrive.

Andy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Based on @Butler Henderson having sucess with a Lais 860019 that basically means the model is expecting 4 full + 2 logic functions because thats what a Lais 860019 has and it is the exact same decoder as the Dapol Imperium 1.

Tbh Laisdcc decoders are pretty much perfect for this sort of thing, fairly cheap and can handle the functions required without hassle. Just a bit of a pain to program properly without JMRI since the documentation is pretty rubbish.

Edited by Kaput

Seems be an annoying issue with the lights - tried to stop the white lights working at the end which would be next to the loco and the red lights at the other end would not come on. 

1 hour ago, Kaput said:

Based on @Butler Henderson having sucess with a Lais 860019 that basically means the model is expecting 4 full + 2 logic functions because thats what a Lais 860019 has and it is the exact same decoder as the Dapol Imperium 1.

Thanks for the confirmation re it having two logic outputs; so one of those Lais decoders should also be suitable for the Kernow / Bachmann 4-TC then?

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Seems be an annoying issue with the lights - tried to stop the white lights working at the end which would be next to the loco and the red lights at the other end would not come on. 

Thanks for the confirmation re it having two logic outputs; so one of those Lais decoders should also be suitable for the Kernow / Bachmann 4-TC then?

The Lais decoders deffo work in the 4TC, I used one when I had a 4TC.

• Thanks 1

I am having a real problem getting all the light functions to work on my Caroline so have emailed Revolution.

All lights function on DC but cannot get the sole bar or tunnel lights to work on DCC. I have installed a 6 function AE decoder and then an 8 function Dapol Imperium and no joy on either. I am swinging toward a possible problem with PCB in the coach.

14 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Hastings demu site quote lenght of 'long' version of the demu cars as 66ft 8in over 'buffers'. Obviously as caroline has actual buffers that protrude beyond the buffing plates (which were the original trailer vehicle lenght), it will be a little longer. Can you re-measiure length from one buffing plate to the other?

https://www.hastingsdiesels.co.uk/1001/#technical

Sorry, bit of a delayed reply here. I'd say that was pretty much bang on 66'8", so to rewind from my initial comments yesterday, I think it's just a height issue. I've removed the plastic shims which improves the height, but it does still look tall. Admittedly it's nowhere near as bad as the PDH drawing made me believe (that's now been consigned to the bin!) However it appears tall next to everything I put it next to. If it's a ride-height issue, that should be easily fixed with some trimming in the bogie pivot area, but if it's overall, or with the roof profile that may be trickier!

John

20230806_223620.jpg

1 hour ago, JJC said:

Sorry, bit of a delayed reply here. I'd say that was pretty much bang on 66'8", so to rewind from my initial comments yesterday, I think it's just a height issue. I've removed the plastic shims which improves the height, but it does still look tall. Admittedly it's nowhere near as bad as the PDH drawing made me believe (that's now been consigned to the bin!) However it appears tall next to everything I put it next to. If it's a ride-height issue, that should be easily fixed with some trimming in the bogie pivot area, but if it's overall, or with the roof profile that may be trickier!

John

20230806_223620.jpg

Hi All, Good Morning!

I wonder if I may add some un-scientific comments here based on some basic observations while waiting for my saloon to arrive?

I have a Heljan 33/1 and a Dapol 73 on Stewart's Lane, parked buffer to buffer. The buffer shank on the Heljan 33 sits higher than that on the Dapol 73, but the roof of the Dapol 73 is noticeably lower than the Heljan 33.

I'm advised that the correct scale height from the railhead to the centre of the Loco. buffers is 13.66mm, I haven't measured this myself so don't know if either of these Loco's is sitting at the correct height.

Considering what the Dapol 73 actually is, a cross-breed between a 73/0 and a 73/1 and that the Heljan 33 isn't confirmed anywhere as being particularly accurate, I would personally suspect the only problem with the dimensions/ride height of the new Inspection Saloon is that it is actually, probably, spot on and has simply exposed hitherto unknown dimensional errors on BOTH the Heljan 33 AND the Dapol 73? 

I would suspect the Saloon is not the problem ?

Thoughts?

Thankyou,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

well i had an unexpected surprise this morning. Stunning model, 1000 times better than i remembered when i've seen it as shows. Will try a Lais decoder later and report back.

a few minor points, two pieces of detailing fell out of the box (now glued back in place), the packaging is awful, the internal box and ice cube i think should of been more substantial given the price. The delivery box was simply a thin slim box with the product box inside, no bubble wrap, just rattling around in side, minor points to improve on i feel.

Edited by jonnyuk