RevolutioN Trains announce "Caroline" Inspection Car in OO gauge and EOI for one in N gauge

MGR Hooper!

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

and then applying full buffer beam detail at the other end

I have just done that, something to look out for is that the bracket for the brake hoses clashes with the NEM coupler when cornering (causing derailment), I had to take it back to bits, take the floor out to take the NEM pocket out. Unless I fitted it in the wrong place but I dont think I did.

In fairness it looks better for having had it removed too.

Here she is with my 37418

20230807_225003.jpg.d5fca3c066ee80b9c9e564bee11fc300.jpg

20230807_225540.jpg.7e3519ff09120d9395d5b31ce7fbab84.jpg

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 8

38 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I have just done that, something to look out for is that the bracket for the brake hoses clashes with the NEM coupler when cornering (causing derailment), I had to take it back to bits, take the floor out to take the NEM pocket out. Unless I fitted it in the wrong place but I dont think I did.

Looks pretty good. Is that 37418 the kernow Bachmann version? How did you sort the snow plough out on the new model? Or did Bachmann sort this so you can have a fully detailed front end.

Regards Gary 

• RMweb Gold

Folks, it would appear that some of you have had a bit of a bad experience with Royal Mail, whereby some models have parts that are loose, or damaged. If you don’t feel confident in reattaching them, or they’re broken beyond repair, please email the support address listed in the instruction manual and we will endeavour to help you. Our Customer Service and Warranty ‘Guru’ Simon is on holiday until next Monday, so we thank you in advance for your patience. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 minute ago, gary_lner said:

Looks pretty good. Is that 37418 the kernow Bachmann version? How did you sort the snow plough out on the new model? Or did Bachmann sort this so you can have a fully detailed front end.

Regards Gary 

It is the Kernow new tooling one.

The answer is, a lot of faffing about! Had to make a carrier using a cut and bent up paperclip, glue the 3 parts onto that which then stuck into the two holes behind the bufferbeam Bachmann left to mount something.

Pictures here, simply because it might be relevant to quite a few Caroline purchasers. Not wanting to derail the thread.

20230415_150405.jpg.b5b63186e0d7fe3e1e393c0504afe5d6.jpg20230415_150455.jpg.329a62164e5eb7c6bcfb54c94cacf25f.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi All,

looking forward to receiving mine in the next day or so.

looking at the Network Southeast version posted on this thread, is the “t” in the Network SouthEast branding/lettering correct? It doesn’t look quite right when comparing to the prototype. On the prototype, the t is squared off, but on the model, it looks to be angular. 

insight would be appreciated.

Bob

IMG_2025.jpeg

IMG_2026.png

Edited by NTrains
Clarification
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I am sorry but that to me looks like Caroline is sitting a lot higher it looks massive that should be sitting lower than the 37 look at the real thing Caroline sits just lower than the 37 

Edited by GBRf 66 The Flying Dustman

32 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

It is the Kernow new tooling one.

The answer is, a lot of faffing about! Had to make a carrier using a cut and bent up paperclip, glue the 3 parts onto that which then stuck into the two holes behind the bufferbeam Bachmann left to mount something.

Pictures here, simply because it might be relevant to quite a few Caroline purchasers. Not wanting to derail the thread.

20230415_150405.jpg.b5b63186e0d7fe3e1e393c0504afe5d6.jpg20230415_150455.jpg.329a62164e5eb7c6bcfb54c94cacf25f.jpg

Cheers for that looks much better.

6 hours ago, GBRf 66 The Flying Dustman said:

I am sorry but that to me looks like Caroline is sitting a lot higher it looks massive that should be sitting lower than the 37 look at the real thing Caroline sits just lower than the 37 

I agree that it is sat higher than it should be. However when I looked square on last night I did think the 37 was slightly higher than Caroline, but not to the extent a real one is vs Caroline.

I certainly don't think it's as bad as the pics on here over the weekend looked.

Hello all,some wonderful pics of Caroline posted on here so far, I'm still awaiting mine from Rainbow Railways but a question to all who may know. Please can anyone advise on the best DCC chip to buy to get full functionality from her & where I may buy it from please?

Many thanks.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, vanbasher said:

Hello all,some wonderful pics of Caroline posted on here so far, I'm still awaiting mine from Rainbow Railways but a question to all who may know. Please can anyone advise on the best DCC chip to buy to get full functionality from her & where I may buy it from please?

Many thanks.

Hi,

I tried a blue Dapol Imperium 3(?) chip in my NSE one and could only get headlights and interior lights working. I swapped this for a green Dapol Imperium 1(?) and everything works perfectly.

Thanks,

Shed.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

i've used a Lais decoder and i think everything is working, interior lights, step lights, blind and headlights, anything else?

the ride height mentioned is a little high and i've had a few QC issues, the horns and one blind glazing panel were floating around the box, easy fixes, it's not a perfect model with room for improvement but my word it's still the best coach out there.

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, 47007stratford said:

Just took my blue grey version out of the box and one part had come off in transit. 
can anyone point me to where this bit should be reattached

IMG_3308.jpeg

I looks like one of the ETH sockets from the buffer beam. There is a diagram inside the booklet that shows you where it should be located.

According to Wikipedia, a Class 37 is 12ft 9 in high (at highest point)

A Hastings DEMU vehicle is 12ft 6 in high (I presume this is over roof ventilators, but someone can advise)

So if my calculations are correct, Caroline should be around 1mm lower than a Class 37 in 4mm scale

Edited by G-BOAF

4 hours ago, vanbasher said:

Many thanks.

Hi Vanbasher,

We will have our Caroline’s from Revolution towards the end of this week and will start sending as soon as we get them. As for Decoders I got my Brunswick Green version yesterday and have tested it with a couple of decoders. Its final choice is an ESUV5 Lokpilot which gives you all the functionality the model allows. We do have those in stock although not on the website so if you require one please drop us an email at Rainbow.

Thank you

Mark

My postie called yesterday with my Brunswick Green version of Caroline from Revolution Trains. I purchased Kernows 37418 specifically to recreate the Sweet Caroline Railtour, which I was very fortunate to be invited on, thanks to the team at Revolution. 
It’s fitted with an ESU v5 lok pilot decoder which gives you the correct number of full power and auxiliary functions to control the impressive array of lighting functions, Head and Tail lights, large roof lights, interior lights and the two small solebar lights you can see next to the double yellow steps. It’s a stunning model with so many individual detail parts to recreate this unique coach.

Our Viridian Green exclusive version for Rainbow Railways will be arriving with us this week and we will be ready to start despatching orders as soon as they arrive. We have a limited number of decoders available and will also have the Sweet Caroline Railtour headboards on the website soon.

All the best

Mark

B4CC45EE-056E-4785-A9B2-B0C28BDD27AC.jpeg

ECDE163C-7E4A-48CE-8F68-6901A4C9EF41.jpeg

C094D07E-318F-447C-974F-9FF9876F48C7.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

According to Wikipedia, a Class 37 is 12ft 9 in high (at highest point)

A Hastings DEMU vehicle is 12ft 6 in high (I presume this is over roof ventilators, but someone can advise)

So if my calculations are correct, Caroline should be around 1mm lower than a Class 37 in 4mm scale

The model will sit at different levels to a 37 roof depending on which model 37 you own. There are some small spacers fitted to the bogie mounts to enable the vehicle to traverse trainset curves, which can be  removed if the owner so wishes. This may cause the bogies to foul on the solebar and other detail. The coach was measured and so were the drawings and it is 100% to scale. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 minutes ago, Revolution Mike B said:

The model will sit at different levels to a 37 roof depending on which model 37 you own. There are some small spacers fitted to the bogie mounts to enable the vehicle to traverse trainset curves, which can be  removed if the owner so wishes. This may cause the bogies to foul on the solebar and other detail. The coach was measured and so were the drawings and it is 100% to scale. 

Thanks Mike

So for clarity, removing the spacers restore scale height (at the expense of trainset curve operation)?

2 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Thanks Mike

So for clarity, removing the spacers restore scale height (at the expense of trainset curve operation)?

I looked at that last night but thought the electrical contactors would still limit movement so didn't bother taking them off. Will experiment later.

• RMweb Gold

Removing the bogie spacers does reduce the overall ride-height a little, but not down to exactly where it should be. However, it's not that noticable, and it'll run with either a Dapol Class 73 or Heljan Class 33, both of which are questionable dimensions viewpoint. So I am happy to live with it, and as all model railways are a compromise, if it was a scale ride-height, it probably wouldn't even negotiate Peco small radius pointwork.

Will be interesting to see if anyone manages to EM or P4 one though.....

If anyone else attempts the aforementioned 'taping of the contacts' to isolate the lights at one end please take some photos of the process. 

Not sure if it's any use to anyone but whilst I wait for mine to arrive, I've put together a rough and ready Loram headboard to fix inside one of the cab front windows. It will need to be scaled appropriately before printing though! 

LHB_01.pdf

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Denny said:

If anyone else attempts the aforementioned 'taping of the contacts' to isolate the lights at one end please take some photos of the process

It is straightforward, when you get it you'll see. Remove bodyshell. Unscrew PCB retaining screw. Unclip PCB at the ends (from the body). Turn over the PCB. Apply tape over the contactor pads at the end you wish to isolate. Put back together.

22 minutes ago, Denny said:

Not sure if it's any use to anyone but whilst I wait for mine to arrive

I was thinking about making one so will give yours a whirl!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

It is straightforward, when you get it you'll see. Remove bodyshell. Unscrew PCB retaining screw. Unclip PCB at the ends (from the body). Turn over the PCB. Apply tape over the contactor pads at the end you wish to isolate. Put back together.

Thanks for the step-by-step. That does seem pretty straightforward! :) 

• Like 1

Caroline has arrived all safe and sound, sans one horn, not present in the box. I did some quick and unscientific measuring against a Bachmann and Accurascale 37 to see how the roof height looks. Unscientific in that the various bits of flotsam and furniture that adorns the 37’s roof causes inaccuracies, that said, looks reasonable to my naked eye.

The detail is stunning, however. A very beautiful model. Now to source a decoder! 😀

IMG_2029.jpeg

IMG_2037.jpeg

IMG_2040.jpeg

• Like 5