RevolutioN Trains announce JNA/MMA EALNOS in N gauge

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Ben A said:

Hi Kris,

Yes, it looks awful.   Have you read the linked article?

cheers

Ben A.

I've just re read the article Ben. I had missed the bit about the stone needed engraving (trying to read with a small child crawling over you is not always as accurate as one would like). I take it that this is just surface texturing. If this is the case then I still think the end result will be poor. The positioning of the lumps is too uniform being dead centre and equally spaced. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kris,

Thanks for re-reading the article.

In terms of positioning of the ‘lumps’ we did think quite a lot about this.  You’re right - the real things, loaded by digger, naturally have variety.  

The problem is we can’t tool up endless variations of loads, and if we’d moulded a load with unevenly spaced lumps every wagon in a rake would have the same uneven spacing and, paradoxically, perhaps, I felt that would look even worse.

In anticipation of this you may notice the loads have been designed to sit very slightly lower in the wagon than they need to; my idea is that keen modellers will use the load as a base and add milliput or file away areas to create more variety, before spraying and topping off with a layer of scenic scree/stone to create a more realistic look.

And, of course, the wagons also have flat bottoms so if you really dislike the load you can always run them empty, or just throw it away and make your own!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

A little bit of variety for the Tarmac / Ermewa wagons, for those modelling right up to the minute. They appear to have come off lease to Tarmac, and have had the logos painted over. Over the last couple of weeks they have been in use hauled by DB 66s, working between Tytherington and Oxford Banbury Road (and I think Cricklewood too) carrying Hanson products. 

For the really keen, some have also gained tracker boxes at the left hand end near the number.

IMG_8267-JNA-81705500018-3.jpg.5c0500a409e8d6a2da3b9c477a30644d.jpg

IMG_8271-JNA-81705500043-1.jpg.1b4faf9407537118005f8113993d4a22.jpg

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 3

• 10 months later...

With these wagons due shortly, I’m thinking of getting a short rake (if funds allow), but I’m wondering which liveries to get. Am I right in saying these are largely interchangeable now - Revolution’s consist diagrams are helpful but photos and videos seem to suggest a real mixing of locos to stock. DRS locos hauling DB liveries wagons, DB hauling Touax, GBRF, etc.

I had been thinking of getting MRL liveried ones to go behind my Hanson 59 when it arrives, but these are unlikely to have run up the WCML.

I’m not after 100% accuracy (probably 60% accuracy and 40% Rule 1), but a rake that either DB/EWS or GBRF locos could haul reasonably convincingly. The 59 can run engineers trains instead probably.

David

• RMweb Premium

The DB ones and Ermewa Tarmac ones have definitely been up the WCML, as I’ve got photos of both at Rugby, but in block trains.  DB have tended to be DB hauled, but Ermewa Tarmac can be EWS/DB, FL or GBRf. As you say, the liveries for the other leasing companies tend to be far more jumbled. 

1 hour ago, bmthtrains - David said:

DRS locos hauling DB liveries wagons, DB hauling Touax, GBRF,

The DRS loco I'm 99% certain will be a DB owned one on lease to DRS, but either on a post maintenance run or short term lease back to DB.

66031 4M82 Toton

DRS have also hired a GB set for aggregate for nuclear construction projects in the past.

Wagon selection I'd say it depends on geography.

DB out of the Peak District will be sets of red MMAs and VTG wagons, though the types don't tend to mix. GBRF sets in the region tend to be a right mix of GB, Ermewa and VTG.

66181 6M82 Stapleford

66769 6F78 Toton

The DRS 37 (as was a Colas 56) here is on hire to Victa Rail who do the shunting at Peak Forest. They now hire DRS 66s I believe.

Dove Holes Heavyweight

Mountsorrel previously saw solid sets of Ermewa branded JNAs, but these have subsequently been split, some ending up on the Westbury based Tytherington flows.

66128 6B30 Barby Nortoft

Mendip and Touax run in the same trains as all the Touax owned boxes are leased to Mendip Rail. Mendip services are usually a mix of wagon types, including several not available as kit or RTR. Note the Toaux boxes arrived around the time the Mendip contract transferred to Freightliner in 2019.

Another day dawns...

59201 7V12 / 7Z12 Westbury

One train a day is hauled by DB to London (6Z21 Westbury - Acton or Cricklewood, 6Z25 return) all other Mendip services are Freightliner hauled. Occasionally the wagons reload at Tytherington as seen here.

66160 6Z32 Westerleigh

A Whatley - Lawley Street service has started recently, but seems to be FL 66 not 59 hauled. Also note some brand new blue wagons in the set, 2022 build. These are VTG branded and similar to the blue ones offered by Revolution. 

66416 6C65 Westbury Down Reception

DB's Tytherington services use a mix of VTG blue and Ermewa grey in the same trains. These go to various location in the Thames Valley / Chilterns for HS2.

Two up front for Tytherington

DCR also run nationwide with the JNAs, a mix of Cappagh branded and unbranded, all leased from VTG.

60028 6Z73 Winterbourne

Double quick loading (DCR 60, part 1)

Pics all linked from my Flickr, click for captions.

Jo

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Having bought four of these at TINGS yesterday I have to say I am totally bowled over with the quality and detail. The yellow livery really lets the surface detail show, and the printing is absolutely stunning. The wagon load - something I’ve not been a fan of before - also really works. I need to get some batteries to test the wagons with rail lights but this is by far the most impressive model in my collection.

At £45 or £47 each they are terrifyingly expensive, especially given you can get similar box wagons for 2 for £35 from Dapol, so anyone after a decent rake is looking at little change for £500, but the detail of these in comparison to the Dapol MJAs for example confirms the price is worth it. I’m not yet sure how I feel about the direction of travel with detail and costs in the hobby at the moment, as I worry too many people will be priced out of it, but looking at these models - well, they’re astounding!

After a hugely disappointing experience with the Revolution 321, Revolution are back in my good books (though only if they banish that 321 coupling never to be seen on a model again!). A hands-down model of the year winner if ever there has been one.

David

53281A66-2701-47F4-B611-96C89091A2DA.jpeg.c4a7e7828a8240438b9119684246046c.jpeg

Edited by bmthtrains - David
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

They are particularly lovely!

revjnaa.jpg.f22705a02de561ed35f11fbda0d4cc01.jpg

I think there might be a typo in the instructions regarding the batteries for the flashing tail light. There's no way an LR44 is fitting in here!

IMG_4139.jpeg.5ee7f6880ac01c9a913109b4dce7535d.jpeg

Tom. 

This came up on my youtube earlier on. If you have room to model 34 wagons, get the liveries jumbled up for the prototypical effect. You can even have an RMweb member driving if you like.

I'll be doing decal packs for these wagons, I've got plenty of photos of graffiti and patch painting on the Ermewa, VTG blue, Mendip and Touax varieties. 

Jo

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

All versions have arrived and are being dispatched.  There are hundreds of orders to process and this task will take us a couple of weeks - we will get to all orders as quickly as we can.

Anyone waiting to pay a balance invoice please check your spam folder in case a reminder email has dropped in there.

For anyone who missed out, our usual retailers are receiving their models, or have received them, and should still have stocks.

Also, for those who have not seen our website, we managed to produce a limited number of the new yellow versions of these supplied for Network Rail use by Wascosa - the real things only arrived in the country very recently. 

1713708518_TEJNA1.png.7745b2ffe47126b7fb70ceff8d47261e.png

(Photo courtesy Tom Everitt)

698309200_JNApackshotscrop.jpg.59faf4a81f0801f9ccec299f7d76f278.jpg

These are available on to order now but only direct from us.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/09/2022 at 15:57, Revolution Ben said:

Also, for those who have not seen our website, we managed to produce a limited number of the new yellow versions of these supplied for Network Rail use by Wascosa - the real things only arrived in the country very recently. 

1713708518_TEJNA1.png.7745b2ffe47126b7fb70ceff8d47261e.png

(Photo courtesy Tom Everitt)

698309200_JNApackshotscrop.jpg.59faf4a81f0801f9ccec299f7d76f278.jpg

These are available on to order now but only direct from us.

cheers

Ben A.

These look great. Can’t wait for you to announce them in OO next 😉

15 minutes ago, Shoey said:

These look great. Can’t wait for you to announce them in OO next 😉

I can't work out if you are making a joke here. 🤔

These were done in OO first and then shrunk to N.

Regards,

John P

If you're right up to the minute, there's a load of VTG blue ones in use with Mendip Rail now. 2022 build, note the VTG logo is in a different place and they're 81 70 5932 xxx-x rather than 5500, as that number range filled up.

20220923_090653.jpg.5d820423bdc58682ecb76d88b1fe2b0b.jpg

Jo

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Gang,

Great wagons and have been fitting tail light batteries today. Have a small issue with one of the PCBs, so have emailed the helpline for, well…..help!!

Looking to get some more Wascosa JNAs soon, once funds allow!

Later,

Stu from EGVN

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/09/2022 at 19:11, Stu from EGDL said:

Hi Gang,

Great wagons and have been fitting tail light batteries today. Have a small issue with one of the PCBs, so have emailed the helpline for, well…..help!!

Hi Gang;

No word back in nearly two weeks from the help address listed in the blurb accompanying the JNA wagons.

One of the switches fell off the pcb (poor soldering) when I was attempting to fit the batteries. The other two tail light fitted JNAs went according to plan.

I aim to be at the GETS show this weekend, so if anyone from Revolution is listening, is there a chance of a replacement pcb, could you bring one along for me please..

Later;

STU from EGVN

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Stu from EGDL said:

Hi Gang;

No word back in nearly two weeks from the help address listed in the blurb accompanying the JNA wagons.

One of the switches fell off the pcb (poor soldering) when I was attempting to fit the batteries. The other two tail light fitted JNAs went according to plan.

I aim to be at the GETS show this weekend, so if anyone from Revolution is listening, is there a chance of a replacement pcb, could you bring one along for me please..

Later;

STU from EGVN

Apologies - this is my fault.  I have contacted Stu directly.

cheers

Ben A.

3 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Apologies - this is my fault.  I have contacted Stu directly.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Gang,

Glad to say that Ben has arranged for a replacement PCB for my errant wagon. My impatience was a little presumptuous as I had forgotten the guys had been to Germany for Innotrans. I wonder what deals they may have struck there for future models??

Later,

Stu from EGVN.

• Thanks 1