The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

We'll meet again... Dame Vera Lynn dies age 103

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold

Such sad news, I once had the privilege to meet and be part of an Scout guard of honour for her at the Royal Albert Hall  when I was 19 #queensscout RIP 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Owd Bob said:

Before the Help for Heroes and all the other charities arrived that we thankfully have now, she was the only one doing anything to help ex-servicemen.  

Very sad news and I can't imagine just how much of a lift she gave the country during the darkest of times. I haven't been able to listen to "White Cliffs of Dover" without getting a lump in my throat since I first heard it. All that hope and promise of better times so superbly sung with such depth and emotion.

It is a bit misleading to say that she was the only person helping ex-servicemen.

SSAFA has been doing that for over 100 years. I am sure there are others but that organisation came to mind as my Dad worked with them organising fund raising during his RAF career and a friend of mine is a volunteer/helper now.

• Like 3

Sorry! I'm not arguing over who did what or who's done the most for servicemen and Women. Misleading yes i may agree, but she was a well known much loved and major figure head for most groups and that brought in the attention and the funding they surely all needed. 

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Owd Bob said:

Sorry! I'm not arguing over who did what or who's done the most for servicemen and Women. Misleading yes i may agree, but she was a well known much loved and major figure head for most groups and that brought in the attention and the funding they surely all needed. 

I would be happy to agree that she probably did as much or more than any other individual to help. Just that she was not doing it all alone!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Vera Lynn was a bit before my time , but my parents had her records . At the time in my early years I used to hate it when they got out “the gramophone” and you knew you were in for a night of WW2 songs . ‘Whale meat again” I used to groan.  But her passing today makes me very sad because it feels like another bit of these memories , that I now look back fondly on , has been chipped away .  So she was part of my growing up and in later life I had more of an appreciation for her records . But she really did bring hope and cheer to the nation during its darkest days . What better accolade can there be than that .   With her work for charities she seems to have been a lovely lady , one that it would have been a pleasure to meet . So God rest her soul . 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1