More model ideas

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I’m on this thread I’m going to make another suggestion. 

Dapol have produced the MRA side tipper wagons in rakes of five a number of years ago now but I have recently heard from a couple of people that apparently they won’t produce anymore due to the cost of producing these in rakes of five. 

I also know from others who have these wagons that the couplings in between the wagons were never that good, and people have struggled to achieve fault free running and consequently some people have modified the couplings, in an attempt to get the rake of wagons running together. 

I’m not sure how viable it would be for Accurascale to produce this wagon but they are quite impressive to look at, and with the Dapol model suffering issues in relation to couplings and Dapol suggesting that no more will be produced this could be a gap in the market. 

Having not bought the Dapol MRAs because I heard of the issues in relation to couplings and running I would really like some of these wagons. I imagine their will be others in the same situation as me that purposefully left the Dapol examples and I’m sure their will be some that missed the Dapol offerings, as they haven’t been produced for years now. It must easily be 5/6 years since Dapol last produced any. 

They are still regularly used on engineers trains and I’m sure this year some sets have undergone conversion at Loram, Derby RTC, so aesthetically they will look different to the original sets. This could be another incentive to produce these wagons as no doubt the converted sets will continue work on the mainline for years to come, and it extends the era/time span that they can appear/be modelled on peoples layouts. 

Obviously Dapol won’t have the new/updated tooling to produce the converted sets so if Accurascale produced the original and converted sets there model would already be different to the Dapol offering. 

I’m not sure, I’m just thinking out aloud, it could be something to consider and look into in terms of potential demand, viability etc. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 3

Being the AC electric fan that I am, a new Early AC such as classes 81-87 would be incredible! I'm almost spoilt for choice when it comes to EMU's as so many long standing workhorses have never had a look in RTR form. But class 303,305,310 & 323 rank highly for me. Also, as Bachmann don't seem to want to, an up to date class 220 Voyager & 221 Super Voyager DEMU would be great.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Whilst I’m on this thread I’m going to make another suggestion. 

Dapol have produced the MRA side tipper wagons in rakes of five a number of years ago now but I have recently heard from a couple of people that apparently they won’t produce anymore due to the cost of producing these in rakes of five. 

I also know from others who have these wagons that the couplings in between the wagons were never that good, and people have struggled to achieve fault free running and consequently some people have modified the couplings, in an attempt to get the rake of wagons running together. 

I’m not sure how viable it would be for Accurascale to produce this wagon but they are quite impressive to look at, and with the Dapol model suffering issues in relation to couplings and Dapol suggesting that no more will be produced this could be a gap in the market. 

Having not bought the Dapol MRAs because I heard of the issues in relation to couplings and running I would really like some of these wagons. I imagine their will be others in the same situation as me that purposefully left the Dapol examples and I’m sure their will be some that missed the Dapol offerings, as they haven’t been produced for years now. It must easily be 5/6 years since Dapol last produced any. 

They are still regularly used on engineers trains and I’m sure this year some sets have undergone conversion at Loram, Derby RTC, so aesthetically they will look different to the original sets. This could be another incentive to produce these wagons as no doubt the converted sets will continue work on the mainline for years to come, and it extends the era/time span that they can appear/be modelled on peoples layouts. 

Obviously Dapol won’t have the new/updated tooling to produce the converted sets so if Accurascale produced the original and converted sets there model would already be different to the Dapol offering. 

I’m not sure, I’m just thinking out aloud, it could be something to consider and look into in terms of potential demand, viability etc. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Popular wagons, I remember seeing a rake at Forders in 2002… it’d be a brave move for accura to repeat a wagon though , and would the updated version need another tooling as well ? I think these days, they all start at “ will we be able to produce it at a price that’s sells and makes us some money ?” , unless you are Hornby of course !

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, vanbasher said:

Being the AC electric fan that I am, a new Early AC such as classes 81-87 would be incredible! I'm almost spoilt for choice when it comes to EMU's as so many long standing workhorses have never had a look in RTR form. But class 303,305,310 & 323 rank highly for me. Also, as Bachmann don't seem to want to, an up to date class 220 Voyager & 221 Super Voyager DEMU would be great.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

I don’t think we’re too badly off for the 85s, 86s and 87s thanks to Bachmann, Heljan and Hornby. Even the 80 is being tooled up. I strongly agree that the 81s to 84s would be welcome as would the EMUs. I expected that Bachmann would update the Voyagers and Super Voyagers and I was rather disappointed that it wasn’t done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Craig1989 said:

Bit of a long shot but if the rumors are true hattons have sold the tooling for the 66 wonders if accurascale have bought it? 

cheers Craig 

Let’s hope so, with a little tweaking it could be an awesome model…and at a fair price too! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

54 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Maybe 1996 stock would be better as it would run alongside the S stock too? I don't think 1992 stock does does it?

this is true, but 96 stock doesnt go through my chosen location 😉

you never know though, there is a big market for tube stuff, which seems to be relatively untapped… if accurascale were to attack one it may open the possibility to transfer the same ‘scaled down tech’ for smaller deep level stock to be form tooling of all different types of deep level tube stock!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Craig1989 said:

Bit of a long shot but if the rumors are true hattons have sold the tooling for the 66 wonders if accurascale have bought it? 

cheers Craig 

If true, it would make more sense if they sold it to Bachmann as part of a peace treaty.😉

John

• Funny 5

3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

If true, it would make more sense if they sold it to Bachmann as part of a peace treaty.😉

John

I think its more Accurascales style to start from scratch, I dont think they'd want to pick up tooling from anywhere else.

I am a bit surprised we haven't seen more batches from the Hattons tooling, Class 66s must be something that has ongoing demand even if just new loco numbers on common liveries

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Accurascale LUL battery loco.

Long lived

Looks cool

Doesn’t need 4th rail

Avoids the ‘nobody buys enough units‘ problem because it’s a loco 🤑

Can haul froth tankers.

Also….brings the LULZ 😛

Edited by andythenorth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

Accurascale LUL battery loco.

Long lived

Looks cool

Doesn’t need 4th rail

Avoids the ‘nobody buys enough units‘ problem because it’s a loco 🤑

Can haul froth tankers.

Also….brings the LULZ 😛

Would it take much work to add some Gatwick Express MK2s to the AS range? 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Northmoor MPD said:

Still looking forward to Accurascale announcing a DCC sound fitted horse to haul my Chaldron wagons… 🐴🐴 

Neigh - it'll never happen.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Popular wagons, I remember seeing a rake at Forders in 2002… it’d be a brave move for accura to repeat a wagon though , and would the updated version need another tooling as well ? I think these days, they all start at “ will we be able to produce it at a price that’s sells and makes us some money ?” , unless you are Hornby of course !

They really are nice looking wagons and their were a few liveries too. 

It’s a coincidence I mention these wagons because it was only at the weekend I was looking at photos of a rake of them in Crewe Basford Hall. 

Aesthetically I think the rakes converted and modified at Loram, Derby RTC will look different to the others, I just haven’t seen any photos of them after conversion as proof. A few sets have been converted this year so far, so it definitely looks as though it’s a project going ahead that will hopefully see these wagons been used for many years to come. 

Yes it might be slightly risky duplicating a wagon but Accurascale try and keep prices as low as possible for all of their models so it might be more financially via for them to produce this wagon either to sell individually or in sets. 

The good thing is with these wagons is they are well travelled, have appeared in a few liveries, have worked on the network for several years and will continue to do so and they can be hauled by a wide variety of traction. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Watto1990 said:

Would it take much work to add some Gatwick Express MK2s to the AS range? 

On thinking about it, I'm a little surprised we've never seen Gatwick Express coaches as RTR. Maybe its more Bachmann terrain for the missing GLV, but in terms of 'prestige' trains in the area its something you rarely see modelled

10 hours ago, GordonC said:

... I'm a little surprised we've never seen Gatwick Express coaches as RTR. ....

There's precious little on the market for them to run alongside though - I can only think of VEPs, ....... no CIG/BIGs, 319s, 377s or 455s .....

Having had a thunk overnight I can add 2EPBs, 2Hs, occasional 4CEPs and possibly 2HAPs to the availability list ( plus 33s, 47s and coaching stock ) .............. plus 3Ds and innumerable other EPB variants to the 'missing' list.

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Agree 1

On 24/08/2022 at 11:53, Craig1989 said:

cheers Craig 

16 hours ago, GordonC said:

I think its more Accurascales style to start from scratch, I dont think they'd want to pick up tooling from anywhere else.

I am a bit surprised we haven't seen more batches from the Hattons tooling, Class 66s must be something that has ongoing demand even if just new loco numbers on common liveries

I am inclined to agree with Gordon.  It is not Accurascale's business model to purchase 2nd hand tooling, and imagine their product range will be along the lines of what innovations we are seeing in the 55 37 and 31 - ie lift off roofs for easy decoder installation and multi speaker sound. 

Could be wrong though.   Would Hattons' tooling be worth that much ?

20 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

There's precious little on the market for them to run alongside though - I can only think of VEPs, ....... no CIG/BIGs, 319s, 377s or 455s .....

Having had a thunk overnight I can add 2EPBs, 2Hs, occasional 4CEPs and possibly 2HAPs to the availability list ( plus 33s, 47s and coaching stock ) .............. plus 3Ds and innumerable other EPB variants to the 'missing' list.

As well as Irish Rail 071s, 141s, 181s, 201s and NIR 111s and 201s. 😀

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Plenty of class 33s available though. 🙂

Also, I'm going to fall off the wagon and indulge in some classic rmweb-style moaning here, but the lack of a decent RTR 73 in OO would seem a bigger blocker to Gatwick Express?  

I'll do penance for that later.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

With 4-6-0's being talked about quite a bit, how about a LMS Jubilee?  The Bachmann version, though nice but is getting long in tooth.  There are obvious differences, such as long and short boilers, as well as Fowler, Stanier 3,500 and 4,000 gallon tenders and a few others, so how about it? 

• RMweb Premium

I’m back again with another idea…

What about the newish Freightliner MWA box wagons. These were the ones that were brought in as an upgrade/replacement for some of the Freightliner MJA box wagons that Dapol have already produced in OO. 

The MWA wagons have been around for a few years already and have been hauled by FL 66s and 70s. 

I’m assuming Dapol aren’t producing the MWA wagons because I think we would have seen them produced or at least announced by now. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• RMweb Premium

Ffestiniog Horse Dandy in RTR 009?

https://dundasmodels.co.uk/webstore/index.php/hikashop-menu-for-module-108/product/5782-festiniog-railway-horse-dandy-wagon-out-of-stock

I'm sure it would sell millions.

Think of all the different horse colours.

DCC sound effects.

Miniature rocking horse crap dispenser.