More model ideas

30 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Probably true.

They'll knock it out of the park with the forthcoming 66 !!

Its not entirely new tooling, there may be limitations with what they improve from the Hattons tooling, but I'd certainly expect Quality Control to be streets ahead.

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Its not entirely new tooling, there may be limitations with what they improve from the Hattons tooling, but I'd certainly expect Quality Control to be streets ahead.

Not much :) Everything in our range needs to be suitably ‘accurascaled’ 

Edited by McC
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

Off the wall suggestion - what about the Hastings diesel units?  Before anyone piles in with "one route wonders" or "niche" comments, they became pretty much the Southern Region's go anywhere excursion units, reaching places like South Wales, Spalding for the flowers, and were diagrammed for a Brighton to Exeter run in the 1970s.  With two lengths of underframe, and various detail differences over the years, and several livery variations (plain green, green with yellow bib, blue with yellow bib, blue with full yellow ends and blue/grey), there's enough livery and tooling variation to satisfy most.  One of course is preserved running in a hybrid formation with 4-CEP trailers, but as a four car unit even worked a summer timetable diagram in East Anglia from Norwich to Yarmouth.  English Electric powered as well, so fits the business model.

They would also share a soundfile with the NIR 80 class, just saying...

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Off the wall suggestion - what about the Hastings diesel units?  Before anyone piles in with "one route wonders" or "niche" comments, they became pretty much the Southern Region's go anywhere excursion units, reaching places like South Wales, Spalding for the flowers, and were diagrammed for a Brighton to Exeter run in the 1970s.  With two lengths of underframe, and various detail differences over the years, and several livery variations (plain green, green with yellow bib, blue with yellow bib, blue with full yellow ends and blue/grey), there's enough livery and tooling variation to satisfy most.  One of course is preserved running in a hybrid formation with 4-CEP trailers, but as a four car unit even worked a summer timetable diagram in East Anglia from Norwich to Yarmouth.  English Electric powered as well, so fits the business model.

i had 0 desire for one of these, but after your reasoning even I am persuaded that it should be done! i also know one ran through the Greenford in recent years on a railtour… even more tempting… 🤔

Accurascale subscription service, you pay each month and get to pick 1 model from each batch announced, you can opt out when it is something outside of era. Like the computer game subscriptions in the 90s.

Tongue in cheek but this is practically what I am doing at the moment!

Edited by ac1874
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/02/2023 at 21:42, reddragon said:

So what will the AS announcement at Ally Pally be in 3 week?

I am hoping (but wallet isn't) for an EMU at last

oh yes . 313/314/315/507/508  . I'm banging on about them until they make them . Ally Pally - GN Electrics - got to be a 313  !

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

I'd have a couple!  Plus a 6S to make up a couple of 3R Tadpole units using "spare" Bachmann EPB driving trailers. 😃

• RMweb Gold

From a personal viewpoint, I don't, never have and never will, desire models of Commuter Containers. 

There are plenty of more interesting things that ran all over regions and even all over the country in substantial numbers that can't be obtained r-t-r.

NPCCS is a particularly fruitful area commercially. Such vehicles got pretty much everywhere irrespective of their origins and generally had long service lives. You can run them in whole trains or just tack odd ones onto either passenger or fully/partially fitted goods trains.

Probably pushing at a half-open door, but I'd appreciate Siphons with outside-framed bodywork. Another numerous prototype was the LMS 42' bogie CCT as produced by Lima in the dim and increasingly distant past. Hornby presumably acquired the tooling but has never used it. Worn out, lost, or destroyed? Who knows. I'd also go for a LNER Diagram 9 horsebox. There's a great kit for the earlier/smaller Diagram 5, but BR continued to build the "9", including a batch for the WR. Trains servicing the horse racing world can be justified on most steam-era layouts, and those of us with existing examples of LMS, GWR, and BR prototypes would welcome greater variety.

My personal interests straddle BR, Southern and LM with a bit of peripheral WR for good measure. An 'Ironclad' PP set would be great, and how about a state-of-the-art revival of the old Airfix LMS inter-urban non-corridors which ran both between major conurbations and on bucolic Somerset & Dorset locals? Also, LMS Period 2 gangwayed stock presents a yawningly wide chasm of opportunity. 

John

41 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

From a personal viewpoint, I don't, never have and never will, desire models of Commuter Containers. 

There are plenty of more interesting things that ran all over regions and even all over the country in substantial numbers that can't be obtained r-t-r.

NPCCS is a particularly fruitful area commercially. Such vehicles got pretty much everywhere irrespective of their origins and generally had long service lives. You can run them in whole trains or just tack odd ones onto either passenger or fully/partially fitted goods trains.

Probably pushing at a half-open door, but I'd appreciate Siphons with outside-framed bodywork. Another numerous prototype was the LMS 42' bogie CCT as produced by Lima in the dim and increasingly distant past. Hornby presumably acquired the tooling but has never used it. Worn out, lost, or destroyed? Who knows. I'd also go for a LNER Diagram 9 horsebox. There's a great kit for the earlier/smaller Diagram 5, but BR continued to build the "9", including a batch for the WR. Trains servicing the horse racing world can be justified on most steam-era layouts, and those of us with existing examples of LMS, GWR, and BR prototypes would welcome greater variety.

My personal interests straddle BR, Southern and LM with a bit of peripheral WR for good measure. An 'Ironclad' PP set would be great, and how about a state-of-the-art revival of the old Airfix LMS inter-urban non-corridors which ran both between major conurbations and on bucolic Somerset & Dorset locals? Also, LMS Period 2 gangwayed stock presents a yawningly wide chasm of opportunity. 

John

They might not be subjects that are often front and centre, but commuter trains (of either DMU or EMU flavours) will be commonly seen in the background shuttling in and out in many areas of the country without a hint of a camera pointing at them, but there's certainly a market for them and they're currently not well provided RTR.

From your other suggestions I'm guessing we model quite different areas and eras. NPCCS definitely have their place, but the BR era ones are quite nicely covered.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, GordonC said:

They might not be subjects that are often front and centre, but commuter trains (of either DMU or EMU flavours) will be commonly seen in the background shuttling in and out in many areas of the country without a hint of a camera pointing at them, but there's certainly a market for them and they're currently not well provided RTR.

From your other suggestions I'm guessing we model quite different areas and eras. NPCCS definitely have their place, but the BR era ones are quite nicely covered.

I just don't find 4-car formations even  remotely convincing  when most of the prototypes run in eights and twelves, though.

I don't have the space (or at £500- £600 for a 4-car set, the budget) to do modern prototypes justice, and MUs would offer zero operating interest for me anyhow.

I'm involved with a friend's layout that is big enough, but it's set long before the juice rail arrived at the modelled location and has far too much track for later periods!

Each to his own but, for whatever reason(s), the r-t-r trade doesn't currently seem keen to offer us multiple units of more than 3 cars, irrespective of era.

John

9 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Each to his own but, for whatever reason(s), the r-t-r trade doesn't currently seem keen to offer us multiple units of more than 3 cars, irrespective of era.

John

Mmm, Revolution Trains OO scale Class 180 is 5 car long, and Irish Railway Models ICR sets are in 3, 4 and 6 car lengths, and for the smaller Irish market too.

(Edit) See post above!

Edited by wombatofludham

8 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I just don't find 4-car formations even  remotely convincing  when most of the prototypes run in eights and twelves, though.

I don't have the space (or at £500- £600 for a 4-car set, the budget) to do modern prototypes justice, and MUs would offer zero operating interest for me anyhow.

I'm involved with a friend's layout that is big enough, but it's set long before the juice rail arrived at the modelled location and has far too much track for later periods!

John

Just because its not been offered doesn't mean there's not a market for it - I wonder who would have foreseen a market for 14 car APTs or 18 car Caledonian Sleeper Mk5s, but I'm sure far more of those have been sold than you'd expect.

3 car MUs would be fine for me - Classes 120, 126, 303, 304, 313, 314, 318, 320   ;)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Just because its not been offered doesn't mean there's not a market for it - I wonder who would have foreseen a market for 14 car APTs or 18 car Caledonian Sleeper Mk5s, but I'm sure far more of those have been sold than you'd expect.

3 car MUs would be fine for me - Classes 120, 126, 303, 304, 313, 314, 318, 320   ;)

I do wonder, though, how many of those long sets ever actually run in their totality!

There's a  potential market for absolutely anything. The commercial imperative is for one that's big enough to produce a return that's at least comparable with that obtainable from "safer" choices.

Different manufacturers seem to have different opinions where that is concerned.

However, if the few examples in the pipeline do well enough, I fully expect to see others boarding the bandwagon.....

John

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

... 4-car formations ... most of the prototypes run in eights and twelves, ...

Many - if not most - four-car units will/would have been seen operating singly off peak or split from longer formations at the likes of Faversham or Barnham for the last few miles of their journey. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, McC said:

You can always get an Irish 6-Car unit, with full detailing and lighting (and a free Sculfort locotracteur) for £499.99 https://www.accurascale.com/collections/railcar-class-22000-icr/products/ie-22000-class-icr-6-car-in-original-intercity-livery

I can run 12-car units. I have an 8-car 450, a 12 car 411/410. I would prefer an option to operate one powered and one trailer unit as per the class 491. A single class 411 can haul a 491 with ease.

I was interested in the 4DD but would prefer a more modern unit from AS, based on the Electrostar or Aventra platform as a full pair of units powered + unpowered.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Many - if not most - four-car units will/would have been seen operating singly off peak or split from longer formations at the likes of Faversham or Barnham for the last few miles of their journey. 

Yes, and if you model the North Cornwall, you can run a 3-coach Atlantic Coast Express. Along with a variety of other kinds of train.

My point is that I don't see any enjoyment in shuttling a fixed formation to-and-fro on a model of a line that hardly ever sees anything else. 

Others may be less easily bored....

Edited by Dunsignalling

1 minute ago, Dunsignalling said:

I do wonder, though, how many of those long sets ever actually run in their totality!

There's a  potential market for absolutely anything. The commercial imperative is for one that's big enough to produce a return that's at least comparable with that obtainable from "safer" choices.

Different manufacturers seem to have different opinions where that is concerned.

However, if the few examples in the pipeline do well enough, I fully expect to see others boarding the bandwagon.....

John

you could say that about a lot of things though, but I dont think it should prevent things being manufactured. How many individual locos will be sold that never turn a wheel on a layout and just gather dust in their boxes? ... for manufacturers it wont matter. For buyers, well with batch production and sometimes years between subsequent runs if ever then sometimes when the opportunity arises you just have to grab these things while you can and if you buy a really long train you still run it any length you want or short on a layout at home and full length on a club layout.

On the flip-side - safer choices can be ones that are easier to pass on buying for the moment with the expectation that they'll appear again sooner. More risky choices could potentially prize more wallets open with a 'buy it or miss out' mentality... 😉

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, GordonC said:

you could say that about a lot of things though, but I dont think it should prevent things being manufactured. How many individual locos will be sold that never turn a wheel on a layout and just gather dust in their boxes? ... for manufacturers it wont matter. For buyers, well with batch production and sometimes years between subsequent runs if ever then sometimes when the opportunity arises you just have to grab these things while you can and if you buy a really long train you still run it any length you want or short on a layout at home and full length on a club layout.

On the flip-side - safer choices can be ones that are easier to pass on buying for the moment with the expectation that they'll appear again sooner. More risky choices could potentially prize more wallets open with a 'buy it or miss out' mentality... 😉

Buy it or miss out has applied to pretty much everything for some years now. Try finding exactly the version you want of anything released before 2022....

It's not me you need to convince, though, is it? 😇

Edited by Dunsignalling

www.flickr.com/photos/wda4t/5324664952/

No silly, not 25194, nor the ferry flat coupled to it.  That rather sexy Interfrigo as the second wagon on the train backing into Brettel Lane yard in the Black Country in 1983

Come on Accurascale (dreadful wagons dept) !!!

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, GordonC said:

yay I’d go for that Gordon . Especially your 126 and 303 suggestions !  But seriously the 313/314/315/507/508  has got to be low hanging fruit . There is no other emu of that period around (380s much later ) , there are multiple colour schemes . Above all we need Accurascale to make it , as they are the guys that will bring it in at a reasonable price . Bachmann would be unaffordable ! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

21 hours ago, GordonC said:

Point of order Gordon.  Ahem. For those of us old enough.  Class 304s were built as 4 car AM4s and probably lost the 4th car in the early 1980s, probably a good sixteen or so years into their lives. I would have a green four car and probably also a plain blue four car AM4, but I recognise most would probably go for a 3 car blue and grey version.   Any takers for the Regional Railways liveried 304 ? Was there more than one ?

To continue the nit picking just a little further some of the Landore based Class 120s which worked over the Central Wales line ran as two car sets without the central trailer. It would however be pointless not manufacturing the unit as 3 cars.   

• RMweb Premium

3 car DMUs noone seems to make new ones now.

Need more Metcams!

Cross Country DMUs 119 and 120, got qa 119 built and currently glazing my 120, they are perrenially high in lists, so I built my own.

• Agree 1