More model ideas

• RMweb Premium

I have a DJH class 71, didn't cost much, I didn't touch the Hornby one as DCC fitting is near impossible. I can get a new Hornby 71 for little more than the cost of a new AS coach!

Why would anyone venture into dead territory again?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Interesting how these 'modern myths' still persist with DJ. The truth, and story, were rather different. There was certainly no 'nasty Hornby' as @Covkid puts it. Was actually my first project when I started at Margate - there was some justification for taking on the 71, and the fact that Hornby had the proper NRM permissions in place added another revenue stream, but the 74 is/was a total dead duck as far as commercial projects go. Too different from the 71 to run off the same tooling suite, a single livery, a limited scope and timeframe, and only 10 converted. Without that big fan base, or any 'celebrity' locos, a complete non-starter really.

Edited by Islesy
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 27/06/2023 at 08:14, tinsley-toton said:

And some bloke on the roof with a hammer in hand, these pics are of 40143 at Llandudno Junction 40 years ago today.

Screenshot_20230627-161111_Facebook.jpg

The fitter's log for that day could identify the bloke with the hammer.

image.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I would sneak into other people’s model railway rooms and steal their Accurascale class 37 bodys for the cabs to be incorporated into Limby and Bachmann 40s. I’ll need to nick a milling machine to make space for an Accurathrash speaker in the latter.

I’ll nick anything I will, I’m a geezer….etc.

• Funny 4

7 hours ago, SC55015 said:

The fitter's log for that day could identify the bloke with the hammer.

image.png

The fitter/electricians name is Tony Foulkes and 56070 can be seen in the attached photo (Would you mind if I share your photo of the log ?) 

That's great info

T-T

356804502_1015677319796176_1761552624068128948_n.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, tinsley-toton said:

The fitter/electricians name is Tony Foulkes and 56070 can be seen in the attached photo (Would you mind if I share your photo of the log ?) 

That's great info

T-T

356804502_1015677319796176_1761552624068128948_n.jpg

CA Foulkes on the lower half of the page is presumably Tony then!
Do with it as you please - there are plenty more of these at https://railcar.co.uk/books/llandudno-junction-logs/

• Like 2

How about some LMS wagons?

The following would go down well IMHO and save me some scratchbuilding:

Dia 1927 Medium goods -10,100 built

Dia 1954 and 2095 Ballast wagon - 3000+ built

Dia 1888 Sand wagon - 100 built

How about some state of the art GW / WR Centenary and Super Saloon stock...? The old Airfix coaches aren't bad and can be made even better with some work, but some newer versions with quality flush glazing etc would be very welcome...

ScannedImage-26.jpg.3c4685dbdbae7734047c1e8b72816fc6.jpg

WRSSAAimg.jpg.280dc1d772a3a733ff577f64c9c8c7e7.jpg

WRSSimg.jpg.961a49873b0f1e484572a8dda6c2cc70.jpg

WRSSDDSimg.jpg.6bcae76e790dd89fa0f77fcb4310403a.jpg

WRSSSSimg.jpg.db259328d2bb42e1fa940d8776e76a68.jpg

WRSSDSimg.jpg.b97fbe61f4f034fb7781037c4bd53127.jpg

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/steam-days/20210615/281539408899874

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/steam-days/20210817/282321093085070

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Who do I know that's recently announced some 60' ( approx.) coaches with doors recessed 'cos the bodies are somewhat wider than normal ? ...... oh, who could that be ? 🙃

Beats me...! What did I miss already...? 😉

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Agree 1

I still think it would be good to see a new tooled range of BR MK1 Corridor stock, including some of the modifications added in preservation for accessibility, as these coaches do form the backbone of the preservation era scene, as well as much earlier. Would provide some more livery variations as well for each type (RMB's in Blood and Custard for example), might be a long shot to suggest things like the accessible coaches at the NYMR but end of the day it's just a suggestion.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BVMR21 said:

I still think it would be good to see a new tooled range of BR MK1 Corridor stock, including some of the modifications added in preservation for accessibility, as these coaches do form the backbone of the preservation era scene, as well as much earlier. Would provide some more livery variations as well for each type (RMB's in Blood and Custard for example), might be a long shot to suggest things like the accessible coaches at the NYMR but end of the day it's just a suggestion.

Would be a huge investment due to so many types. And two types of window frames. at least 5 bogies designs, 2 basic brake gear layouts (not vac/air but under or over). Vac Air Dual, roof vents, almost every batch is slightly different.

As much as I’d like to see a new super detail MK1 I can’t see it being likely for the reasons outlined above. There are just too many variations/liveries etc and there would have to be a lot issued at once to make it worthwhile. The Hornby/Bachman are decent enough models and is probably better for my wallet that another manufacturer doesn’t produce one! 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Standards_in_OO said:

As much as I’d like to see a new super detail MK1 I can’t see it being likely for the reasons outlined above. There are just too many variations/liveries etc and there would have to be a lot issued at once to make it worthwhile. The Hornby/Bachman are decent enough models and is probably better for my wallet that another manufacturer doesn’t produce one! 

OK both the Bachmann and Hornby Mk.1s could be improved upon, but there's nothing really horrible about either and what shortcomings do exist are fixable. I therefore think there might be an issue with how much unsatisfied demand remains.

Those who "need" lots of them tend to use them on big layouts that preclude close examination of individual vehicles, so "better" might be academic!

The main sales potential might be for additional sets rather than wholesale fleet replacement.  I certainly wouldn't contemplate the latter; my (quite numerous) Bachmann ones are "good enough" and changing the lot would swallow up my entire modelling budget for at least the next two years! 

Different for "newbies" fleet-building from scratch, of course....

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, frobisher said:

Of which AS make 3(4?) already?  They'd however be more welcome hitting the 64ft non-gangway stock... And maybe its EMU derivatives.

And I did not include a few one offs.

But then may want

TSO 1, choc cream, brake cylinders inside, early frames BR1.

TSO 2, choc cream, brake cylinders outside, early frames BR1.

That would be 2 in the GWR 150 rake, I THINK they are shell vents.

TSO 3, BG, outside, XD, late frames, commonwealth

TSO 4, BG outside, VD, late frames, B4

Most RTR are V hangers like V and cylinders inside, late mark 1s mainly lopsided V hangers and cylinders outside

VU       UV

UV       can't do it

• Like 1

With the price point and age of the Bachmann models though it does seem that a new tooled range would not go amiss, and with Hornby's offering also being priced at a point that to me at least seems unreasonable, it makes most sense to me for an Accurascale range of coaches, which even at £70 rrp (with the 10% bundle would mean it is £63 a coach, which is something like £10 more than the Bachmann ones at retailers), it also seems to be a logical addition to the growing Accurascale range, and with over 60 years worth of use on both national rail and heritage railways it seems it would fit in well with the Manors, Buckjumpers, 30/31s, 37s, 50s, and Deltics quite nicely.

The Bachmann model is being 20 years old (according to Hattons it was released in 1999 making it over 24 years old as of writing this), plus the high RRP of these models, and the lack of availability of select liveries, it does make it seem, at least to myself, like there is a market for new tooled MK1s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Mk1 buffet car range would be an easy start and would fit in current formations well.

I have to take to coach renumbering for anything existing to work as most are E or M regions, so anyone modelling W, S or Sc have limited options.

• Agree 1