More model ideas

I will get my coat, but in time it would be nice to have a proper Class 370 APT-P, given the other effort, well….

Given commonality between the vehicles, it shouldn’t require too much tooling and the offer of three sets plus some single vehicles would account for most scenarios.  So first a 3+2+3 circa 1979 yellow ends and unbranded cars - 370001/2 early testing and speed record.  Second 370007/6 or 5 black masks 3+2+3 for 1980 onwards as a potential 14 car set or other iteration with some add ons and finally the APT development train circa 1986 3+2+3 with non artic car.  If some of the intermediates could come separately and unnumbered that may be something to help.  I await 25kv to come along and comment…...

Is there a market?  Discuss - suspect many with the current offering would move it on, especially as high definition models and innovation are advancing now so quickly. 

1 hour ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good afternoon folks,

Another vote for a Class 185 unit in post -refurb livery from me.

Having been the Siemens project engineer for the refurb work I would like to own an 00 replica, as a memento of all the hard work.

DC only would be brilliant, don't need all the bells and whistles 😀

Cheers, Nigel.

With the 185, there are quite a few liveries now. So we’ve had the First Dynamic lines TPE (with and without First Branding) now the silver/blue TPE Livery (with and without First Branding). But there was at least one set in First barbie/swoosh style livery, you’ve had the dynamic lines Capital of culture, the poppy livery and Manchester pride one. Then the TPE liveries for Andy’s man club another poppy livery, Victoria cross hero’s and the Manchester Bee livery. Would be good to do some of those as exclusives and maybe charity editions like the 66’s we are seeing, but if AS didn’t do it then I doubt the charity’s would see a donation.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, SimonCA said:

I will get my coat, but in time it would be nice to have a proper Class 370 APT-P, given the other effort, well….

Given commonality between the vehicles, it shouldn’t require too much tooling and the offer of three sets plus some single vehicles would account for most scenarios.  So first a 3+2+3 circa 1979 yellow ends and unbranded cars - 370001/2 early testing and speed record.  Second 370007/6 or 5 black masks 3+2+3 for 1980 onwards as a potential 14 car set or other iteration with some add ons and finally the APT development train circa 1986 3+2+3 with non artic car.  If some of the intermediates could come separately and unnumbered that may be something to help.  I await 25kv to come along and comment…...

Is there a market?  Discuss - suspect many with the current offering would move it on, especially as high definition models and innovation are advancing now so quickly. 

I really cant see any kind of market for that at all. Speaking as someone that has 2 of the recent Hornby efforts, I suspect that might well be as good as we get for a very long time if at all as it will still soak up a lot of demand. As much as I'm disappointed in it too, I think it'll be down to a bit of modelling to fettle up whats there.

There must be an absolute ton of other prototypes that would be a better choice.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

As a rule of thumb, my typical purchase of a DMU, DEMU or EMU of interest is two or three.

Having said that, by example, "two" of the 4CIG/4BIG familly would be four 4CIGs and two 4BIGs, as that is two complete trains worth!  Ditto 4COR/4RES. 
Likewise, I'd buy a 4SUB or 4EPB in pairs to make a complete eight car set.
I'm not adverse to renumbering sets in order to do this BTW.  I have a fleet of renumbered 2BILs and 2HALs made by you know who. ;-)
Speaking of which, how about a "tin HAL"?  A low hanging fruit for the Margate posse that they don't seem to want to pick. :-(

Hope that helps.

19 hours ago, SElder said:

Another vote for anything Scottish. Main area of interest would be 1980s - 1990s liveries on overhead electrics. 

I'm particularly hoping for a 303, 311,314,318 or 320. 

2 or 3 of each please 😁

I'm still waiting on Revolution to announce 313/314s in OO if only to smoke out the Other Manufacturer that Ben Ando keeps refusing to name/denies knowing.....grrr

• Like 2

20 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Rough guess, that’s about £8000 of units .

them Accura lads will be contactable in Bermuda with immediate effect 

Give me time and I'd pay it

20 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Are you aware Revolution are producing the Class 180 both in N and OO?  I expect Accurascale won't want to compete directly with the model which has now reached EP stage.

Yes but unfortunately not in EMR at this time.

Tbf though, it's a list of what I'd like. Not what I expect to get made

On 16/01/2024 at 09:49, lego legs said:

I'd love to see the modern era southern units modelled. To me it's amazing the Electrostars haven't been done or the 319's in OO. There's tons of liveries, reasonably good geographic spread of the prototype. I also imagine given the population of the areas they serve loads of people will have had some connection to them.

What works for the Electrostar if considered is that Bachmann produced the Class 450 for SWT. Although I don't know exact production numbers, they took a good few years to fully sell but considering that the 450's are very limited to where they see use, never straying far from the LSWR mainlines of Waterloo - Reading/Windsor/Portsmouth/Poole. As you mention, the wide geographical spread from 387's of GWR to all the operators and liveries of Sussex and Kent. A far larger operating region than the 450's and hopefully a good justification to say if Bachmann can make a success with the Desiro, Electrostars should have a far easier time selling. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

If the last several pages on this thread are anything to go by, do steam-era fans think there's no point even making suggestions for future Accurascale products?

There's only one DMu I'd buy, and that's been near the top of the polls for years, to zero effect.

What hope for those classes that haven't?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Good morning Dunsignaling John,

I am predominately a 1950s/1960s SR/WR steam and diesel modeller, with a side interest in the pre-WW1 Sheppey Light Railway (SECR).

I recognise that a long-awaited Class 120 DMU would be more relevant to my main modelling interest. Additionally, there are numerous steam loco classes, such as W, K and U, that I would like to see RTR.

However, I have pre-ordered a Dapol Class 323 as I worked on the real thing during my railway career and voted for a Class 185 for the same reason.

Maybe Accurascale will bless us with both modelling choices in future, who knows?

Edit: I am also looking forward to my Leader arriving this year, can't get much more niche than that 😆.

Cheers, Nigel.

Edited by GMKAT7
Added info.

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

If the last several pages on this thread are anything to go by, do steam-era fans think there's no point even making suggestions for future Accurascale products?

There's only one DMu I'd buy, and that's been near the top of the polls for years, to zero effect.

John

Has a LMS fan, and seeing the numbers Accurascale produces of the class 37 then no not really. Many of the main classes are to a decent level for a model on a layout at 3ft, we can forget the Pacific’s and black 5s 

the 8f is a model which needs a update but really it’s a 8f seen one seen them all. Some locos did have modifications that went to the continent in the World War II and later came back. these were seen in the docks awaiting overhauls but if memory serves me the modifications were soon removed. Either way no use for a Pre War modeller.  

Bachmann’s  jubilee isn’t a bad model needs tender and boiler variations however I’ve done some modelling and see little point in asking for something I’m not sure I’d buy. 

jinty could be better, but would be a hard sell considering the amount of Bachmann’s kicking around. 

for me it’s the workhorses LNWR and L&YR please 0-6-0s and 4-4-0s(L&YR). But I can’t see them selling enough for Accurascale to bother with. 

a decent model of the Caledonian & L&YR pugs would be nice, say to scale. 

Obviously the Fowler and Stanier 2-6-2t might sell, but enough don’t know. 

oh the Fowler 2-6-4t is terrible considering the price Hornby are asking. Now thinking about it I might just stick my hand in my pocket for 2 or 3. standard cab, cut away cab and don’t forget the limousine. Plus the livery options LMS Crimson LMS black BR black and the one of BR green. Ohh I’m oh excited now! Dear Accurascale a Fowler 2-6-4t please I’ll have 3 LMS plus a green one. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

The thread is cracking on for 180 pages and Fran has recently stirred the MU pot, but there are plenty of steam era suggestions prior to that.

However, I'm happy to spin my crackly old disc again (at 78rpm):

- LMS general merchandise opens and vans, particularly on clasp-braked fitted underframes;

- LNER/BR 21t coal hoppers.

And if you want a loco, imo the big hole is a decent Midland or LMS 2P, though I don't see a huge demand for one. 

Going to put another request in for GWR Sunshine stock and other pre-war GWR coaches...

In regards to multiple units, I wouldn't mind a 116 or 115 in 00, but they're not my absolute priority currently. I'm not going to comment on price as I am a firm believer in seeing the specs, CADS or EPs, and other things before deciding to buy a model.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

The thread is cracking on for 180 pages and Fran has recently stirred the MU pot, but there are plenty of steam era suggestions prior to that.

- LMS general merchandise opens and vans, particularly on clasp-braked fitted underframes;

And if you want a loco, imo the big hole is a decent Midland or LMS 2P, though I don't see a huge demand for one. 

I consider a 2P to 2020s (as opposed to 1970s standards), and avoiding the use of traction tyres, would sell quite well.

They widely worked secondary services on the LMS/LMR that didn't demand the grunt of a 4MT tank well into BR days, and anybody modelling the very popular Somerset & Dorset line right up to c1960 should need at least a couple...

Several Bristol-based pairs of non-corridor stock of the type originated by Airfix were also used over that line and a modern iteration of those would be very welcome. Hornby has done the two main types of SR stock the 2Ps hauled and they piloted a wide range of locos already produced r-t-r.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Quite a few differences between MR and LMS 2P.

The ex Airfix model is OK as a body donor, but needs either a decent kit or a new model.

As to DMUs I have been waiting well over 40 years for cross country which is why I made my own. Huge hole never filled.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, MJI said:

Indeed and the MR 483 survived remarkably late and hasn't been done so perhaps the one for somebody to choose (a surprise omission from Bachmann's Midland collection, actually).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, MJI said:

There are.  I’m happy enough with the upgraded Hornby LMS 2P, but would definitely be interested in buying a new Midland one.  

• RMweb Premium

20230722_134803.jpg.2d407baeae559eca9f09e5b15a004358.jpg

Indeed and the MR 483 survived remarkably late and hasn't been done so perhaps the one for somebody to choose (a surprise omission from Bachmann's Midland collection, actually).

I wanted 1 or 2, so lrm tender, comet chassis, modified body with new chimney and converted to rhd.

1 will do.

Will sell motor bogie tender some time.

Edited by MJI
  • Like 1

The 115 of course also worked between Liverpool and Manchester and even alongside those mobile tea urn thingies on the last days of the Great Central, so possibly more widespread than some would think.

On the Cross Country units much as I would like a 120 I do wonder if the 119 would be a better bet as they had a standard depth underframe whilst the 120 had a deeper chassis frame.  A standard depth 64ft underframe could then be used under the 114, 115, 116, and 125 class units, plus the 119 made it into all the same colours as the 120 plus the ever popular NSE, and in their early days ran with a Hawksworth carriage in the formation on Oxford semi fasts.  The only thing the 119 lacks is a Scottish allocation or regular forays into East Anglia which the 120s achieved.

But hey, I'll be mad for any DMUs up to 1994.  I do like my classic fart carts and the Sprinters.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

The 115 of course also worked between Liverpool and Manchester and even alongside those mobile tea urn thingies on the last days of the Great Central, so possibly more widespread than some would think.

On the Cross Country units much as I would like a 120 I do wonder if the 119 would be a better bet as they had a standard depth underframe whilst the 120 had a deeper chassis frame.  A standard depth 64ft underframe could then be used under the 114, 115, 116, and 125 class units, plus the 119 made it into all the same colours as the 120 plus the ever popular NSE, and in their early days ran with a Hawksworth carriage in the formation on Oxford semi fasts.  The only thing the 119 lacks is a Scottish allocation or regular forays into East Anglia which the 120s achieved.

But hey, I'll be mad for any DMUs up to 1994.  I do like my classic fart carts and the Sprinters.

How widely travelled were the 119s though? I perhaps saw some, but dismissed them with the Derby fronts assuming 108/114 rather than notice the difference and I wonder whether a model would be the same. The 120 was a very distinctive unit that you could pick out at a distance from that cab front and windows so perhaps they stood out to me far more in Wales, North of England, East of England, East Midlands, Scotland where I'd have seen them.

With Bachmann having the 117 already, I think it'd be brave to pick the 119 over 120 based on an intention to continue on to the 114/115/116/125 units as I think Bachmann would have a huge advantage to get there first.

Edited by GordonC

My bold request... on the multiple unit front. One I think could quite easily please a few (us punters and the pockets of accurascale too..)

The Networker family? Plenty of livery variations and physical variations which would be easily done in one suite - some variations never even covered before...

165/0 - 2 or 3 car variations (NSE, Early chiltern with modified lights + air con mods, later chiltern with modified lights + air con mods)

165/1 - 2 or 3 car variations (NSE, Thames Trains, FGW Link, FGW Dynamic Lines with original light clusters and upgraded LED type, GWR Green)

166 - 3 car (NSE, Thames Trains Express, FGW Link, FGW Dynamic Lines, FGW Plain Blue, GWR Green)

These liveries cover over 30 years, from London to Oxford / Birmingham. They now also cover the majoprity of the west country and can be seen on the 3rd network too at places such as Gatwick, Redhill, Guildford and Basingstoke. So a very wide scope geographically as well as the time period.

Potentially could go one step further and incorporate the juiced units too.. 365's, 465's etc. This would open up to the equivalent of the southern half of England coverage wise.. Yes Bachmann have done the 166, but it is a dire need of an upgrade (DCC being the obvious starting point and the 165's were never even covered...).

Edited by WCML100
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 18/01/2024 at 07:00, Dunsignalling said:

John

Hi John,

In fairness we have three steam locomotives announced, with one in the market and two more on the way. We also have some in the works that are yet unannounced, so we are always open and positive on steam suggestions. We have some experience of the steam market now though with these models, and steam locos are not a "capex hungry" as multiple units, which is why I thought I'd conduct some rather rudimentary market research by asking about them on here a couple of pages back.

Always feel free to make some steamy suggestions below!

Cheers!

Fran  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1