Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Take your pick boys and get some haulage.laugh.gif

Cheers Peter.

I'll have the peak to fail and 40106 to come to the rescue with plenty of wheelslip as she tugs the whole consist out!

Great scenarios Peter!biggrin.gif cool.gif

Thanks Claggy, The chaps came from their P W lorry parked by the signal box. biggrin.gif wink.gif Sorry, The lookout is a Dapol figure the other two are whitemetal figures which came in a pack of four I think they were Pheonix models i bought them a few years back from Mainly Trains so I am not sure if you can still get them.

Hi Larry & Dave, I meant to say before that I don't have any 24s great little loco's but a bit before my time. Thanks for the pics, if you have any of vans trains in the 1986-7 period that would help as I haven't found many.

Thanks Paul, Just what I needed to hear.sad.gif wink.gif

Hi Alex, Peak FAIL!! OMG Nooo!!. Sorry I am sure they did but I never had one fail on me. I don't have 40106 either but 40122 is on shed and booked to work out on the 18.35 1K38 to Stoke.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Alex, Peak FAIL!! OMG Nooo!!. Sorry I am sure they did but I never had one fail on me. I don't have 40106 either but 40122 is on shed and booked to work out on the 18.35 1K38 to Stoke.

Ah, sorry 40122 will do nicely...and I'll wait for the Stoke instead as the Peak's failure was nothing more than a hoax!!!laugh.gif

Ah, sorry 40122 will do nicely...and I'll wait for the Stoke instead as the Peak's failure was nothing more than a hoax!!!laugh.gif

Hi Alex,

No worries 40122 sounds in fine form on shed at the moment. That must have been fudge gen on the Peak as 45029 left for York with no problem.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter.

A couple more loco hauled trains for you, plus a few pics of what I have done this week.

The extension hasn't been touched recently as I have been working on stock. When I first started the extension there were a few things I wanted to try and do.

1. carriage sidings

2. Oil terminal

3. junction for Crewe and Holyhead lines

4. some sort of water feature

When I first started to draw up track plans I knew the junction would be hard to do with the room I had plus it could make the fiddle yard to complex.

This worked out to be the case so the junction idea was scrapped. It worked out well because the fiddle yard has been made less complex and I have managed to fit more sidings than i had hoped for plus i have enough long sidings.

The carriage siding and water feature have worked out well to though to start with the water feature was going to be a stream and I did make a fair bit of mess hacking the baseboard to do this then changed my mind. The carriage sidings worked out fine and are plenty long enough for the trains that are going to use them.

When I layed the track for the oil terminal it looked to busy and close to the mainline, I thought the fencing round the siding wouold look cluttered and the whole thing just didn't look right. I even tryed to have the train fit in one siding which I could almost do but this also looked wrong. I then decided to do a coal yard instead which I thought I was happy with until the other day.

So the other night I was working out where to put some uncouplers and I was moving the coal wagons and oil train about. I realised since scrapping the oil terminal idea I had changed the trackplan a bit.

Anyway the upshot is I have decided to put the oil terminal back, I think it works out this time because I have the headshunt between the mainline and the terminal plus the sidings don't go right up to the tunnel mouth as they did before, the whole thing looks more roomy and not squeezed in plus the security fence just runs down one side the out to the edge of the board. This also means the coal wagons can go off scene and can be uloaded to go back empty this also means a shorter siding in the fiddleyard and I can put in another siding for short trains DMUs etc.

Here are a few pics, hope it makes sense. It's only taken a year to get it right.biggrin.gif

31323 arrives from Bangor on a Saturdays only train to Manchester, runs round and then departs. D200 backs onto the stock in platform 3.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-127997299701_thumb.jpg

post-7022-127997310501_thumb.jpg

post-7022-127997321539_thumb.jpg

post-7022-127997330822_thumb.jpg

post-7022-127997350359_thumb.jpg

post-7022-127997370675_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

nice layout, brings back happy memories being no holiday and the driver of 40 106 letting me drive it all of 60 yards towards the buffer stops @ Llandudno after arriving on one of the SO holiday trains.

The Saturday only Bangor-Manchester travellers would probably get off at the Junction and catch a faster connection rather than be sidetracked down the branch to Llanbourne.... The journey would be slow enough behind a Clas 31 as it is....biggrin.gif

As an aside, I once photographed the 09.00 (SO) Llandudno-York leaving Abergele behind the usual Class 25, which were regarded as better machines than the 31's, and still had plenty of time to photograph the same train climbing to Greenfield towards Diggle!

Hope you don't mind me mentioning that for 40106 to be accurate for your period, it should have green cab roofs and strapping over the roof panels.

The carriage siding and water feature have worked out well to though to start with the water feature was going to be a stream and I did make a fair bit of mess hacking the baseboard to do this then changed my mind. The carriage sidings worked out fine and are plenty long enough for the trains that are going to use them.

When I layed the track for the oil terminal it looked to busy and close to the mainline, I thought the fencing round the siding wouold look cluttered and the whole thing just didn't look right. I even tryed to have the train fit in one siding which I could almost do but this also looked wrong. I then decided to do a coal yard instead which I thought I was happy with until the other day.

So the other night I was working out where to put some uncouplers and I was moving the coal wagons and oil train about. I realised since scrapping the oil terminal idea I had changed the trackplan a bit.

Anyway the upshot is I have decided to put the oil terminal back

My god Peter, what on earth did Llanbourne District Council make of the planning application for that lot!!! ;) lol. Its the one thing I've found amazing since starting, how something can look right in your mind, but then when you get it on the baseboards, it just doesn't fit or work right! Sounds like you've got things moving (no pun intended!) in the direction that you want them anyway - look forward to seeing the extension when its complete!

Rich

Hi Peter,

Looking good - I totally get how you plan things out onto your boards to see if it looks right as that is exactly what I did on mine this time and I think I have captured more realism as a result. Your layout certainly looks very realistic and its great that you can get your extension to fit in so seemlessley to make your already excellent layout even better from an operational point of view. Now the 31 hauled train back to Manchester is the one I would chose to travel behind - that would bring back memories!

Thanks,

mark

Thanks 37pitts, I bet driving the 40 is something you will never forget even if it was only 60 yards.biggrin.gif

Hi Larry, Feel free to post the pic of the 25, I have an old Railscene video somewhere that shows a class 25 leaving Huddersfield on a Trans Pennine working, the poor thing is getting an absolute thrashing, it does sound good though. As you say I don't think the Midland drivers liked the 31s as much as the 25 they replaced.

The class 40 backing onto the stock isn't 40106 it's 40122 (D200) which was painted green in 1983, I think to replace 40106 as a railtour loco. You are not the only one to think it's 40106. Both were common on the North Wales coast.

Hi Rich, It wasn't the Llanbourne District Council i had to get planning permission from.laugh.gif I started this extension last year, most of it went to plan but as you say somethings you picture in your head don't always look right when you do it. Which I think you are finding out at the moment.biggrin.gif It's sometimes better to leave things a while and go back later and look at it with fresh eyes. Unfortunatly this didn't stop me building the control panel which I will now have to change, stuff building a new one.wink.gif

Thanks Mark, I think there is nothing better than some bare boards to play with, drawing plans on paper can only be so much help. Operation wise it should be good as the ECS has somwhere to go as does the oil train, which is way better than trains going in and out of the fiddleyard all the time. I also have a stretch of mainline for a bit of extra thrash.wink.gif

I will see you in the front coach for a bit of a no heat class 31 bash.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter.

Hi

Just came across this thread - wow what a layout - fantastic modelling. I also have an interest in the north Wales area - although my layout is much smaller all the rolling stock operates (or has operated) along the n. Wales coast.

Beeches TMD

I tried a link on the Wells Green website to a fotopic gallery of photos of Llanbourne - link was broken though.

Do you have a website?

Regards

Paul

Hi

Just came across this thread - wow what a layout - fantastic modelling. I also have an interest in the north Wales area - although my layout is much smaller all the rolling stock operates (or has operated) along the n. Wales coast.

Beeches TMD

I tried a link on the Wells Green website to a fotopic gallery of photos of Llanbourne - link was broken though.

Do you have a website?

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks,biggrin.gif Had a look at your website last night,nice. I do like your Reggi rail liv 37/4. I haven't checked James' website for a while though I did see he bought himself a new car.wink.gif

I haven't updated my fotopic site for ages, I just need to sign in again so I will do that this week and you can have a look at whats there. I really should update it. A website is a bit beyond my computer skills but may be one day.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Keith,

Yep, we can take the ped to Chester and Bail for the Crompton on the Holyhead service.wink.gif

Have you done anything on your layout recently?

Hi Claggy,

D200 was at Carlisle for a while, my 1986 spotters book shows 70 plus loco's based there 08s 25s 31s and 47s. Those were the days.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter.

Hi

Just a quick post to say that I am enjoying following the life of this layout- is it set c 1986?As an signalman- in ex LNWR boxes with the best type of levers- ie stirrup catch handles- I must reiterate what Mr Skipsey has been urging- get that box sorted out! An LNWR type 4 (or 5) would be nice but you could also consider a BR Midland Region Type 15 also or even an LMS type 11. Dave also gives good advice in that you need to signal the layout as it would have been when which ever box you use was constructed which then gives you the amount of levers required and the length of box. I find this then gives the right size looking box for the area.

If you have not seen it already a copy of Richard Foster's "LNWR Signalling"- long OOP- is well worth a look as it is filled with photos and drawings of boxes and signals. It also details some of the idiosyncracies of the LNWR which would have an impact on the size of box used should you go for an LNWR box. Namely the LNWR was very reluctant to use ground signals and tended to opt for hand signals from the box wherever possible to save money. This feature would be a feature of ex-LNWR areas with almost a total lack of dollies where you would otherwise expect them- Croft Sidings being an example of this. Ground signals would generally only be provided for exit moves from sidings or if the movement could not be safely controlled by a handisgnal from the box. Another feature was the use of 2 levers to control a crossover- one lever would work each end instead of working both- this was to apparently save on maintenance but it meant more levers were required and often meant a bigger box compared to other companies was provided. In BR times additional dollies etc could be installed to suit traffic requirements but if the layout has been rationlaised and new dollies etc provided then relocking of the frame might occur.

My other interest is in coaching stock- I have the 1986/87 Passenger Train Marshalling book for the LMR if that is of any use to you as well as an article on WCML Train Formations for 1986/87- initially looking at the London bound services but detailing the workings along the Coast that utilised sets that went to Euston at some point. If they are of any interest then please let me know.

Hi

Just a quick post to say that I am enjoying following the life of this layout- is it set c 1986?As an signalman- in ex LNWR boxes with the best type of levers- ie stirrup catch handles- I must reiterate what Mr Skipsey has been urging- get that box sorted out! An LNWR type 4 (or 5) would be nice but you could also consider a BR Midland Region Type 15 also or even an LMS type 11. Dave also gives good advice in that you need to signal the layout as it would have been when which ever box you use was constructed which then gives you the amount of levers required and the length of box. I find this then gives the right size looking box for the area.

If you have not seen it already a copy of Richard Foster's "LNWR Signalling"- long OOP- is well worth a look as it is filled with photos and drawings of boxes and signals. It also details some of the idiosyncracies of the LNWR which would have an impact on the size of box used should you go for an LNWR box. Namely the LNWR was very reluctant to use ground signals and tended to opt for hand signals from the box wherever possible to save money. This feature would be a feature of ex-LNWR areas with almost a total lack of dollies where you would otherwise expect them- Croft Sidings being an example of this. Ground signals would generally only be provided for exit moves from sidings or if the movement could not be safely controlled by a handisgnal from the box. Another feature was the use of 2 levers to control a crossover- one lever would work each end instead of working both- this was to apparently save on maintenance but it meant more levers were required and often meant a bigger box compared to other companies was provided. In BR times additional dollies etc could be installed to suit traffic requirements but if the layout has been rationlaised and new dollies etc provided then relocking of the frame might occur.

My other interest is in coaching stock- I have the 1986/87 Passenger Train Marshalling book for the LMR if that is of any use to you as well as an article on WCML Train Formations for 1986/87- initially looking at the London bound services but detailing the workings along the Coast that utilised sets that went to Euston at some point. If they are of any interest then please let me know.

Hi Natalie,

The time period for Llanbourne is Summer 1986 but stock mainly the loco''s is mid 1985 to mid 1987 if that makes sense. The signal box will get sorted, since I stuffed up trying to improve the 20 quid Scenecraft box sad.gif I decided to make my own based on the one at Llandudno. Merfyn, Dave and Larry have all helped with pics and info. Hopefully I will make a start this year.biggrin.gif The signals on Llanbourne were built before I left the UK about 14 years ago so are probably not all in the right place but will stay for now. I would like to make them work one day and get some etched Arms as the plastic Ratio ones look a bit chunky.

Any info on coaching stock 1986-87 would be great, I did get some info from old Rail mags but most is from looking at pictures. I think most of my passenger trains are formed with the right stock, though my Euston trains are a bit short, any extra info will help.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

The signals on Llanbourne were built before I left the UK about 14 years ago so are probably not all in the right place but will stay for now. I would like to make them work one day and get some etched Arms as the plastic Ratio ones look a bit chunky.

They don't look too bad - apart from that droopy one ;)

• Like 1

I finished the DAF the other week and changed the trailer ( thanks Jim, eetype3) but it still needed numberplates, I finally got around to putting them on last night.

I have also been adding troughing along the main line on the extension, you can see some in the pic with my TPOs which arrived Tuesday, a bit of a cheat as I haven't any Kadee's so I just placed the coach in the train. wink.gif

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-128040636829_thumb.jpg

post-7022-128040657318_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12804066771_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Peter

Your TPO looks very good and I'm glad to say you have not left off the same things that JSW has on his road vehicles.

Keep the pictures coming Peter?

Pete

Thanks Pete,

You made me go and have a look at Jims Thread, I can't spot it. Do tell.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter.