Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Nice shots Peter. Like the sun set shot.

Cheers

Neil

Thanks Neil,

I should stop doing stock and get on with some senics and buildings, I am doing some Grampus and Seacow wagons at the moment and it's taken me longer to do them than I thought.

How are you going for stock on your layout? Let me know if you need anything, the Convention's not far away now.:D

Cheers Peter.

Hi Derek,

No worries, probably best to get some track down and work out your curves, less chance of putting on the wrong coupler and have buffer lock problems.:D

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Been running a couple test wagons, and have found that the Bachmann NEM clone couplers are the perfect fit, as the knuckle is situated higher than the Kadee's are. I've found them to be perfect on the various Bachmann coaching stock and a number of freight stock.

One question I have, is have you fixed the axels on the Bachmann long wheel based wagons (VAA, OCA, ect) so that they no longer swivel slightly? I've found they don't always line back up properly, thus being difficult to couple again. I know they pivot to allow moving through tight radius curves, but other than a pair of setrack curves (ST-244/5) being 2nd radius, everything else is streamlined point work and no crazy curves elsewhere. Would it be a horrible idea to glue them in place so that they no longer pivot? How do yours run?

Thoughts?

I know it has been said before but excellent photos, truly stunning work. The 33 in the low light is just quality, I seem to have missed the photos of the 56s on test from Crewe though! :D

Is it not about time 60001 or 60002 arrived on a test rake of HEAs?!!

Hi Grimley,

Thanks mate:D as you know I bought a red stripe 56 last year problem is it has a bit of a wobble, the wheels are fine it just seems to wobble a bit on the bogies.:rolleyes: So it dosn't get used at the moment .

Tempted with a class 60 they are a great model, just a bit out of my time period though.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Been running a couple test wagons, and have found that the Bachmann NEM clone couplers are the perfect fit, as the knuckle is situated higher than the Kadee's are. I've found them to be perfect on the various Bachmann coaching stock and a number of freight stock.

One question I have, is have you fixed the axels on the Bachmann long wheel based wagons (VAA, OCA, ect) so that they no longer swivel slightly? I've found they don't always line back up properly, thus being difficult to couple again. I know they pivot to allow moving through tight radius curves, but other than a pair of setrack curves (ST-244/5) being 2nd radius, everything else is streamlined point work and no crazy curves elsewhere. Would it be a horrible idea to glue them in place so that they no longer pivot? How do yours run?

Thoughts?

Hi Derek,

I had a look at your thread the other day, you are making good progress. I have used the Bachmann clone couplers in the past but they don't always work as well as the Kadees.

I had the same problem with the Bachmann OCAs etc, I fixed it by haveing one end fixed and the other loose but with plasticard blocks to stop to much movement. I did fix both ends to start with but the wagons tend to come off the track more easily.

Hope this pic explains what I have done.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-021120600 1285753730_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Derek,

I had a look at your thread the other day, you are making good progress. I have used the Bachmann clone couplers in the past but they don't always work as well as the Kadees.

I had the same problem with the Bachmann OCAs etc, I fixed it by haveing one end fixed and the other loose but with plasticard blocks to stop to much movement. I did fix both ends to start with but the wagons tend to come off the track more easily.

Hope this pic explains what I have done.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Many thanks for your help on this.

I recognize that the Bachmann's are not the same quality as the Kadee's, but when I can get three dozen pairs for about $30 as opposed to $5 for two pairs of Kadee's, I'm willing to go with the cheaper ones for now. With some of the models, I'll have no choice but to use Kadee's as they have the 'correct' height NEM pockets. So far, it's only the Bachmann models that seem to have the pockets too low.

I can not really tell from the picture, but is all movement inhibited on the one axel, or is it just restricted? Have you tried restricting the movement, or just stopping it all together?

Thanks again!

Derek

Weighing in here, I have had some success with the Bachmann EZ-Mate (terrible name!) couplings but found the longer versions flexed too much under load, so they were a failure when running a nine coach rake of Hornby Pullmans but OK with only six of the same Pullmans. The softer plastic shanks were pulling down under load then uncoupling if bumped or going over even slightly uneven track (let's face it, most of us have some spots like that!).

I'm interested in that mod to the long wheelbase vans too - I have a few recently purchased VGA, VAA, VBA and OBA/OCA (I think) wagons that don't like being propelled for shunting moves.

Thanks Neil,

I should stop doing stock and get on with some senics and buildings, I am doing some Grampus and Seacow wagons at the moment and it's taken me longer to do them than I thought.

How are you going for stock on your layout? Let me know if you need anything, the Convention's not far away now.:D

Cheers Peter.

I know what you mean. I have been doing weathering of stock of late.

I'm hoping to be right I ordered some sea cows and a rake of coaches from Hattons so I'm hoping they get here in time for the layout tour. All the locos are ready though. I'm really happy with those 47's. Well glad I got them.

Are you going to the convention on the Saturday?

cheers

Neil

Gees I have just received the Q6 kit from the UK and want to build it in P4 but due to the convention I am not allowed to open the etches :blink: as I have to do more scenic work on the layout.

Why do we do it to our selves? Why do we "volunteer" to go an show people things that we are doing but want to do other things that are more interesting :unsure:

Any hoo Peter as usual your rolling stock it looking great!

Doug interested to hear you are embarking on a Q6 kit.I am most interested to hear how you go in P4.I have built both the Chivers and the Alexander kits and clearances around the front end are very tight in 00. Which kit are you building?Hopefully we can have a chat in Melbourne in a few weeks.Sorry if this is off thread.

Ron.

Suitably battered and work-weary. Very nice Peter. How did you weather them (apologies if you've mentioned this before)?

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have mentioned it before but as it's you I will tell you.;) :D I start on the underframe with a mix of Humbrol matt black 33, matt khaki 26, and a bit of matt leather62. with all my underframes I pretty much just paint it on, once dry I sometimes add a bit of white 34, mixed with a bit of black and sort of dry brush in on though I tend remove some of it once I am done with a bit more 33, 26 mix. The bodys on the Grampus were a mix of 33, 26, some areas get a bit of 62 mixed in, once dry I tend to pick out a few bits with 62 as it's a good rust colour a bit of white gives it that faded look.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you want more info. I have posted a pic below which shows a business card which I have used to mix paint on a bit like an artist palette I go through heaps but they cost nothing.:D

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-080978600 1285851305_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Peter

Many thanks for your help on this.

I recognize that the Bachmann's are not the same quality as the Kadee's, but when I can get three dozen pairs for about $30 as opposed to $5 for two pairs of Kadee's, I'm willing to go with the cheaper ones for now. With some of the models, I'll have no choice but to use Kadee's as they have the 'correct' height NEM pockets. So far, it's only the Bachmann models that seem to have the pockets too low.

I can not really tell from the picture, but is all movement inhibited on the one axel, or is it just restricted? Have you tried restricting the movement, or just stopping it all together?

Thanks again!

Derek

Hi Derek,

Yes one end is made so it can't move at all, the other end is actually loosen'd off but has the plasticard blocks added to stop some sideways movement so the Kadee can't swing out of the way. Pic below shows loose end, as you can see it dosn't have too much room to move but seems to do the job.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-021983900 1285854574_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Weighing in here, I have had some success with the Bachmann EZ-Mate (terrible name!) couplings but found the longer versions flexed too much under load, so they were a failure when running a nine coach rake of Hornby Pullmans but OK with only six of the same Pullmans. The softer plastic shanks were pulling down under load then uncoupling if bumped or going over even slightly uneven track (let's face it, most of us have some spots like that!).

I'm interested in that mod to the long wheelbase vans too - I have a few recently purchased VGA, VAA, VBA and OBA/OCA (I think) wagons that don't like being propelled for shunting moves.

Hi Jeff,

I will try and remember to bring a wagon to the convention so you can have a look see.

Cheers Peter.

I know what you mean. I have been doing weathering of stock of late.

I'm hoping to be right I ordered some sea cows and a rake of coaches from Hattons so I'm hoping they get here in time for the layout tour. All the locos are ready though. I'm really happy with those 47's. Well glad I got them.

Are you going to the convention on the Saturday?

cheers

Neil

Hi Neil,

You will have to post a few pics of your stock on your thread.

No worries on stock for the layout then, sounds like you are sorted.:D

Yes I am going on the Saturday, not doing the layout tour though.

Cheers Peter.

Gees I have just received the Q6 kit from the UK and want to build it in P4 but due to the convention I am not allowed to open the etches :blink: as I have to do more scenic work on the layout.

Why do we do it to our selves? Why do we "volunteer" to go an show people things that we are doing but want to do other things that are more interesting :unsure:

Any hoo Peter as usual your rolling stock it looking great!

Hi Doug,

I just do what I feel like doing, I think your layout will be alright for the convention, I would start the kit.:D Thing is you will have to build a P4 layout now, you have the room to do it.:P

Cheers Peter.

Thanks for that, Peter. Yes, you did mention it before, I remember now. I never forget a post, me.

Anyway, I was just wondering how you weather your wagons?

;)

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Come to think of it, it was probably on the old RMweb. Anyway hope it helps, what wagons are you thinking of doing?:D

Cheers Peter.

Hi Dave,

Come to think of it, it was probably on the old RMweb. Anyway hope it helps, what wagons are you thinking of doing?:D

Cheers Peter.

You got me thinking about trying to reproduce that photo of the 27 on the ballast train at Waverley. I have a few Heljan dogfish wagons which would fit the bill but they're not weathered yet. There was also one of a 26 with seacows that could be reproduced pretty easily too I think. I do have some weathered seacows (as yet only factory-weathered though but they're not bad).

Cheers

Dave

You got me thinking about trying to reproduce that photo of the 27 on the ballast train at Waverley. I have a few Heljan dogfish wagons which would fit the bill but they're not weathered yet. There was also one of a 26 with seacows that could be reproduced pretty easily too I think. I do have some weathered seacows (as yet only factory-weathered though but they're not bad).

Cheers

Dave

:lol: :lol: Brilliant,I love it when a plan comes together.:happy_mini: I have done a few Cambrian Dogfish I will wack up a few pics for you.:good_mini: Pretty sure the 26 on Seacows/Sealions was my pic, I am working on a couple of those at the moment hopefully weathered this week.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Neil,

You will have to post a few pics of your stock on your thread.

No worries on stock for the layout then, sounds like you are sorted.:D

Yes I am going on the Saturday, not doing the layout tour though.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

no worries see you then.

Having a few camera problems at the moment so may be a little while for the piccies.

Cheers

Neil

Yes Peter you already know my idea for a P4 layout. The donut... which is inspired by the same style of layout in a early/ early early model Rail. I seem to have lost the copy of that Model rail somewhere in the "Newton towers estate" :lol: I know it will turn up. I have arranged P4 track....and I still have the old P4 layout in the attic, which got to a point and stoped.

Nerron, It is the Dave Bradwell etched brass singing and dancing kit. To which I have yet to figure out how to motorise it. In my usual technique I will be DCC'ing it. Dave Bradwell does recommend a motor in the tender driving a highlevel gear box.. I have to think about that. Though I can build the tender chassis, loco chassis and the foot plate till I have to make a decision! UMMM nice though. :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1