Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter, that 31 does look the Nuts, I was going to sell my 56 and 20's in R/F but Marcus has talked me into keeping them now and running BV in a slightly later period than the current Blue Period..

Your work on the Locos is superb, and I love what you've done with the Crew in that 31.

I see that Hornby are releasing TTS Sound units for  £36 at Hattons, with 31's, 37's and 47's available, they may NOT be perfect but I can live with that.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/244044/Hornby_R8101_TTS_DCC_Sound_Decoder_with_8_pin_plug_Class_31_diesel/StockDetail.aspx

Thanks Andy,

I did notice the cheaper sound chips. I think the class 37 sounds ok but I don't know about the class 31 as I haven't heard that one. Anyone know if it's any good.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Andy,

I did notice the cheaper sound chips. I think the class 37 sounds ok but I don't know about the class 31 as I haven't heard that one. Anyone know if it's any good.

Cheers Peter.

I can't help with the TTS 31, but I ave a 37, which I removed from the Hornby model and installed into a ViTrains 37. It's not too bad, certainly for the money, anyway.

Have any of the Class 31s been done with TTS sound yet? I didn't think they had

Do you know, I think your right, Hornby haven't released any yet. still having heard the 37 and 40, they both sound very good with some very useful functions and no silly gizmos.

Hi Guys,

Hattons have them as a pre order so not out just yet.

While I am here if anyone wants to come down this way on Saturday Afternoon I am having a bit of a running session. It's a bit short notice but the weather is going to be cooler so thought I would take the opportunity to clean the tracks and run some trains. Drop me a PM if you are interested.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Glad it went well Peter.  Sorry I wasn't able to be there.  

There's very little which says "model" in most of those photos - they look a lot like the real thing and I'll bet you have a few on here doing double-takes.

• RMweb Gold

So the running session went well on Saturday, considering the layout hasn't run in a while it was a good excuse to have a tidy up round the garage and vac the layout to remove the spider webs. 

I didn't take many pics on the day but I did run some trains Sunday so here are a few pics.

Cheers Peter.

Well it had to happen. 37032 finds itself on the FSO Manchester- Bangor.

25912 follows on a ballast.

97407 arrives at Llanbourne South Yard on some Grampus wagons, the loco pulls forward to the headshunt then sets back into the yard.

108 DMU arrives on a local service from Holyhead. and is seen shortly after on it's way to Chester.

101 DMU follows the 108 out of the station on a local service to Bangor.

31323 leaves Llanbourne on a Ballast for Carnforth.

Two Peaks sit on the holding sidings. 

97407 has arrived LE from South Yard and is going to be used to trip some HEAs back to South Yard. The loco should have gone on shed but the yard 08 has failed so as 97407 was already running and will be spare for an hour or so it's going to be borrowed. 

Absolutely superb Peter - nice shots, and the surroundings, I agree with Gwiwer, a few of those in black and white could be realistic - especially the back view of the 40 with the chap walking down the ballast!

Can you give a rating of 11 out of 10 :)

Rich

Hi Peter

Great photos, especially the oil stained sides of the Class 40 and the chipped paintwork on the front of the Peak.

Would loved to have joined you for the running session on Saturday but was quoted £600+ for the return trip :)

Regards

Alan

Hi Peter

What a collection of wonderful pictures. They just ooze that 1980s atmosphere. Just gutted that I missed out on 032 for haulage on the coast. Candidate for working of the year. Oh well I'll have to wait another 20 years to have it in Pres. HaHa.

Keep those pictures coming mate. Always brightens up my day.

Cheers

Marcus

• RMweb Premium

(Section signal on, distant off)

It might be a failure (section signal failed to move but has released the locking for the distant) for which the "flag" is not yet in place ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There's a SPT and even a Rule 55 Exempt T-plate so any driver approaching that set up shouldn't be unduly delayed.  Provided the signaller hasn't exited his box via the back wall when the wire snapped!!!

Hi Peter

Great photos, especially the oil stained sides of the Class 40 and the chipped paintwork on the front of the Peak.

Would loved to have joined you for the running session on Saturday but was quoted £600+ for the return trip :)

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

It would have been worth it, I fired up the BBQ so you wouldn't have gone home hungry. lol

Cheers Peter.

Thanks for the great feedback guys,

Now about that signal. What can I say a bit of a brain fart there. My only excuse is that it's over 20 years since I worked on the railway. I did get 100% on my Shunters exam though. 

The section arm should be the one that is off. the Distant can only be off if the section arm is off correct. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the great feedback guys,

Now about that signal. What can I say a bit of a brain fart there. My only excuse is that it's over 20 years since I worked on the railway. I did get 100% on my Shunters exam though. 

The section arm should be the one that is off. the Distant can only be off if the section arm is off correct. 

Cheers Peter.

Yes, but there's more to it than that Peter. The distant arm is controlled both by the box in rear (Llanbourne) AND the box in advance, using a slotting arrangement. The distant arm is not connected directly to either of the boxes. It is operated by a lever on the signal post that falls under gravity to pull the arm Off ONLY when a) the Llanbourne section signal is Off AND b) all home and section signals controlled by the box in advance are Off.

Consequently, the only way I can think of that the distant arm could be Off when the section signal is On is if the slotting mechanism is damaged to the extent that it does not prevent the counterweight pulling the distant arm Off.

Edited by St Enodoc

Yes, but there's more to it than that Peter. The distant arm is controlled both by the box in rear (Llanbourne) AND the box in advance, using a slotting arrangement. The distant arm is not connected directly to either of the boxes. It is operated by a lever on the signal post that falls under gravity to pull the arm Off ONLY when a) the Llanbourne section signal is Off AND b) all home and section signals controlled by the box in advance are Off.

Consequently, the only way I can think of that the distant arm could be Off when the section signal is On is if the slotting mechanism is damaged to the extent that it does not prevent the counterweight pulling the distant arm Off.

Hi John,

Thanks for the extra info. I have just remembered I was going to send you an article on 25912 I will dig it out this week.

Cheers Peter.