Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rich,

Peaks went in 1988, the Dutch livery on wagons started quite early about 84 i think. Dutch livery on loco's was later about 1990 ish. 

Cheers Peter.

Oh now you've done it! I thought Dutch for the wagons was too late for my 1981(ish) to 1988 (ish) O Gauge layout in the planning, but 1984 puts it smack in the middle!!!  More expense hehe.  Actually, thanks for that Peter as I didn't realise it was that earlier, so thats opened the doors to a couple of things!  A Dutch 31 might even have to creep in on the odd appearance lol.

I would say '82.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brturbot/hc4f4329#hc4f4329

As for Dutch on Loco's I'm sure the first was a class 31 in 1990. This one not being the first in the same year.

attachicon.gif16248762612_81eefc990a_b.jpg

Ooh what an image, I thought it was my home depot of Frodingham to start with, but I think that shot is taken at Tinsley??  Cant think of an open day, given the people walking about in the background, at Frod!

Oh what memories :)

Rich

Peter, I think you are in good company: birthdays are why diaries were invented! ....I can never remember them either; well, not until the day after, usually... :jester:

I certainly remember the Turbots I saw at that time as being particularly bright -  they stood out because of the ( - for then) gharish livery.  Funny how traditional it looks now.  In any event, they do look very purposeful sat behind the peak in the photograph.

Best wishes, 

Paul

Hi Paul,

By the time I remember seeing Turbots they were quite banged about, they seemed quite common on the Southern. 

Cheers Peter.

Oh now you've done it! I thought Dutch for the wagons was too late for my 1981(ish) to 1988 (ish) O Gauge layout in the planning, but 1984 puts it smack in the middle!!!  More expense hehe.  Actually, thanks for that Peter as I didn't realise it was that earlier, so thats opened the doors to a couple of things!  A Dutch 31 might even have to creep in on the odd appearance lol.

Ooh what an image, I thought it was my home depot of Frodingham to start with, but I think that shot is taken at Tinsley??  Cant think of an open day, given the people walking about in the background, at Frod!

Rich

Hi Rich,

Look forwards to seeing a few Dutch wagons on Marsh Lane. 

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul,

By the time I remember seeing Turbots they were quite banged about, they seemed quite common on the Southern. 

Cheers Peter.

The two main problems with Turbots were damaged floors and bowing sides, both caused by an unofficial unloading method using a JCB (other brands are available). We regularly had to pull the side stanchions in to get them back within gauge (the worst I saw were about 10 ft wide).

Rich

Newly converted to Class 31/5 & painted into Civil Engineer's (Dutch) livery, 31547 (previously 31447 & 31295) at Tinsley (TI) TMD Open Day - 29/09/1990.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/16248762612/in/photolist-qKRa2w-ojMv8J-4x8Vmm-7WFLZP-pg6zmL-h1CSBr-dtUh5J-dtNH4e-aJydiZ-pBXjnn-jr9yW7-AyhCqF-pMGga5-ec2PMR-7pJ9sY-GJxo7J-uFomvU-dvH9pC-fCQFWC-anbDtt-922qgP-dLHgVU-q5aBq7-rbMN7c-drX3uc-nDg1Pt-aByX8s-5x5ezf-dtNHDe-n2VgTC-9V8pMo-9V8pPW-4ZoGdb-88R2pi-nE3pty-7rRm5a-dqcP62-6dBhUj-8RkQqr-bSWcf2-bbdEfv-nWS4JA-oqDeCK-fGEd8L-f7uAr8-qGPTsY-9V8pEj-9V8pCs-gyT5LJ-a2R4sz

Edited by tinsley-toton

The two main problems with Turbots were damaged floors and bowing sides, both caused by an unofficial unloading method using a JCB (other brands are available). We regularly had to pull the side stanchions in to get them back within gauge (the worst I saw were about 10 ft wide).

Hi John,

I always remember them being a bit bashed about. When I worked at Eastleigh I used to watch Bass wagons being unloaded. They were normally loaded with sleepers and the forklift once the wagon was empty used to lift the doors and close then using the forks not suprising they got scratched and dented. I remember seeing this done with a wooden sided Bass wagon and one of the forks split two wooden planks making a right mess.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

A bit indulgent but here are a few pics form back in the day of trains hauling Turbot wagons.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-67456000-1494506654_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-56793100-1494506715_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-26466600-1494507193_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 14

Excellent pics Peter, I'm trying to keep to the 70's so I cant indulge in the Dutch Stock, the changes to the Layout look excellent.

Thanks Mate,

It is hard to stick to a time period but you have plenty of wagon variety in the 70s still plenty of unfitted stuff about.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Thanks Mate,

It is hard to stick to a time period but you have plenty of wagon variety in the 70s still plenty of unfitted stuff about.

Cheers Peter.

I do have a couple of Large Logo 50's and a 47, when did they first appear Peter?

Just found the answer, 1978.

Edited by Andrew P

I do have a couple of Large Logo 50's and a 47, when did they first appear Peter?

Just found the answer, 1978.

I would have said a bit later than that. most likely would have only been a few if they were. Class 56 would have been one of the first as they were being built about that time.

Cheers Peter. 

Edited by P.C.M

I would have said a bit later than that. most likely would have only been a few if they were. Class 56 would have been one of the first as they were being built about that time.

Cheers Peter. 

Yeh 56036 in 78....all others in 80s

Cheers Guys,....................RULE 1 it is then, hahhaha

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A bit indulgent but here are a few pics form back in the day of trains hauling Turbot wagons.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

many thanks for posting these: the Crompton pics certainly brought back memories, especially the Salisbury shot.  I too used to haunt the end of platform 6 on occasion!  

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

many thanks for posting these: the Crompton pics certainly brought back memories, especially the Salisbury shot.  I too used to haunt the end of platform 6 on occasion!  

Best wishes,

Paul

went there a bit myself back in the day, always liked Salisbury. Here are a couple more shots for you. 

Enjoy, cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-29622800-1494588939_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-26548900-1494589005_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-91261000-1494589166_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-49422900-1494589251_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

went there a bit myself back in the day, always liked Salisbury. Here are a couple more shots for you. 

Enjoy, cheers Peter.

Awesome! Cheers Peter: that's really made my day! Sat at work, grinning like a Cheshire cat - in my lunch break, obviously...

Thanks for posting these.

Best wishes,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Enjoy, cheers Peter.

The 'Goyle' is interesting, too.  Initially I assumed it was from the period when they worked the Bristol-Pompeys, but having looked again it is clearly somewhat later.   The loco has lost its bodyside banding and is much cleaner than I remember the Bath Road ETH examples ever being!   The station buildings have also been cleaned up and repainted - from memory that was around 1984/85?  Funnily enough, not too long before NSE days, when it all got painted again!  Was it substituting for a Crompton on a Bristol service, perhaps?  

Happy days - thanks again.

Paul 

Can't beat a few pics of 80s traction around Salisbury

Thanks I have plenty more. Check out my Flickr site I think I have loaded a few there. The link is below.

Not much modelling going on at the moment so I will post a few more on here.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

Glad my few pics made your day. I will post up a few more, as I said not much modelling going on at the moment.

The class 31 pic would have been about 86 and would have been due to shortage of class 33's as they were book traction on all but one Pompey Bristol turn there was one booked turn for a class 47/4 which us Crompton bashers avoided if we could. I only saw one other class 31/4 while I was out taking pics but they did turn up now and then along with the odd  Bath Road or Canton based class 37, though I never saw a class 37 on a Pompey service during the 80s.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-31345000-1494671158_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-54239700-1494671415_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-72230300-1494671515_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-73637500-1494671590_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-89191400-1494671692_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-85581400-1494671862_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-17366000-1494671957_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul,

Glad my few pics made your day. I will post up a few more, as I said not much modelling going on at the moment.

The class 31 pic would have been about 86 and would have been due to shortage of class 33's as they were book traction on all but one Pompey Bristol turn there was one booked turn for a class 47/4 which us Crompton bashers avoided if we could. I only saw one other class 31/4 while I was out taking pics but they did turn up now and then along with the odd  Bath Road or Canton based class 37, though I never saw a class 37 on a Pompey service during the 80s.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

some more fantastic pictures - thank you.  Wonderfully atmospheric and great modelling inspiration.  The wagons provide some interesting insights as well: I knew I bought those cheap BDAs for a reason!  

Funny you should mention a 37 on the Pompeys: I did see one - and only the one - one Saturday afternoon in early summer, probably '83. Sorry I cannot be any more precise - I was never a basher.  However, if I recall correctly it departed for Soton at 18.20(ish), so I am guessing it left BTM at about 1710L, presumably substituting for a failed Crompton.  I don't recall ever hearing an explanation, but doubtless there will be those on here who might be able to fill in the blanks.  It's always interesting to find out what turned up when you weren't about - I know both my last 'required' 47s both did on a regular basis - apparently -  or so my mates at the time told me...

Best wishes,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Cheers Peter.

Message to AY, the Like button just isn't enough some times, WE NEED A LOVE IT BUTTON. hahahha :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

Nice ones again Peter.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

some more fantastic pictures - thank you.  Wonderfully atmospheric and great modelling inspiration.  The wagons provide some interesting insights as well: I knew I bought those cheap BDAs for a reason!  

Funny you should mention a 37 on the Pompeys: I did see one - and only the one - one Saturday afternoon in early summer, probably '83. Sorry I cannot be any more precise - I was never a basher.  However, if I recall correctly it departed for Soton at 18.20(ish), so I am guessing it left BTM at about 1710L, presumably substituting for a failed Crompton.  I don't recall ever hearing an explanation, but doubtless there will be those on here who might be able to fill in the blanks.  It's always interesting to find out what turned up when you weren't about - I know both my last 'required' 47s both did on a regular basis - apparently -  or so my mates at the time told me...

Best wishes,

Paul

Hi Paul,

There was a time when the poor old Cromptons were spending quite a bit of time away from their home depots so unreliability did become a problem.

Salisbury did see a bit of freight so plenty of wagon types would have gone through, the Severn Tunnel - Eastleigh and return always had quite a mix. Are you modelling the Salisbury area?

Cheers Peter.

Message to AY, the Like button just isn't enough some times, WE NEED A LOVE IT BUTTON. hahahha :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

Nice ones again Peter.

Thanks.

Thanks Andy,

Salisbury was never as busy as Eastleigh but it was always quite good.

Cheers Peter.

In 78 / 79 ish Fratton in my Lunch Hour always seemed busy, lots of 33's 50's and 47's plus the Units. But I wasn't collecting Numbers or photographing back in those days unfortunately.

Keep the pics coming please Peter.

• Like 1