Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Peter

You have done a lot of great modellig in the eight years this thread has been running well done sir. :good:

Thanks Pete,

Hard to believe it's been 8 years, I sometimes think I am not getting much done but when I look back I haven't done to bad.

Do you get much modelling done for yourself these days or does your PH designs take up all your time.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hello. 

Didn't fly ash generally get carried away in old presflo wagons.

Any pictures I've seen related too fly ash, is pretty much just a long line of presflo's 

behind 47's, 56's & 58's

P.S not saying that it wasn't transported using haa wagons. just never seen it. 

i suspect on that though it would be a bit like carrying cement powder in the open. 

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I remember seeing  the old Presflo wagons back in the day. It's possible there were none available for the North Wales traffic so HAA's were used.

Cheers Peter. 

Slightly outside the timescale but back in 2013 they were using open wagons (JNAs?) on the Didcot Power Station to Calvert fly ash trains:

56091 in Didcot Yard with the empties https://flic.kr/p/ekAKbv

Thanks Mate,

Good to know open wagons were used even if it was 2013.

Cheers Peter.

Crikey Peter, 8 Years!   :O That's a life to me in Railway Modelling terms, :no:  :no:  your Layout just gets better and better, I just hope that now I've settled on ONE Layout I can keep it going as long as you have.

Super stuff Peter, BTW I have succumbed, and will be stretching Kings Moreton into the late 80s / Railfreight Red Stripe. :stinker:  :stinker:

• Like 1

Fly ash from Newhaven Incinerator is transported out in bogie open wagons (JNA) 17051723396_221619e32e_b.jpgJNA VTG3958 by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

I also remember during my time with EWS that Uskmouth Power station, sent out flyash in MEA wagons during 2006-7

Thanks Simon,

It seems opens were used later on I guess the Presflo wagons were gone by the late 90s so there wouldn't be anything suitable apart from using open wagons.

Cheers Peter.

Peter

I do get to do modelling but not for me and in 7mm mainly for customers & PH Designs.

Most of my spare time is taken up with renovating this

post-6665-0-37732600-1499778628_thumb.jpg

It's going to body & paint in August

post-6665-0-44353100-1499778644_thumb.jpg

When that's back I can finish it off and then get some modelling done for myself and a new Exhibition Layout is in the planning stages.

I will start a thread when I have something to show.

I still have Lindridge Road to finish.

Edited by Pete Harvey
  • Like 7

56070 storms out of Llanbourne on an empty fly ash train. 

I need to make up some loads for these wagons anyone have pics of what fly ash looks like as a load.

Cheers Peter. 

Only shots of looking down at the wagons. A very fine grey powder.

post-1625-0-41638500-1499813056_thumb.jpgpost-1625-0-94544200-1499813059_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Peter

I do get to do modelling but not for me and in 7mm mainly for customers & PH Designs.

Most of my spare time is taken up with renovating this

attachicon.gifSH100420.jpg

It's going to body & paint in August

attachicon.gifSH101774.jpg

When that's back I can finish it off and then get some modelling done for myself and a new Exhibition Layout is in the planning stages.

I will start a thread when I have something to show.

I still have Lindridge Road to finish.

Nice car Pete,

I remember seeing them back in the day  but can't recall what they are. All the best with the new build though I will keep an eye out for the new thread. I think you still have a way to go with the car though, I would guess a few more pounds to be spent yet.

Cheers Peter.

Nice car Pete,

I remember seeing them back in the day  but can't recall what they are. All the best with the new build though I will keep an eye out for the new thread. I think you still have a way to go with the car though, I would guess a few more pounds to be spent yet.

Cheers Peter.

Peter

It is a 1967 Ford Corsair I will certainly shed a few pounds on the car but it should be worth it when done, it should be on the road buy this time next year.

Peter

It is a 1967 Ford Corsair I will certainly shed a few pounds on the car but it should be worth it when done, it should be on the road buy this time next year.

Hi Pete. I nearly said was it a Ford, I Googled  Zephyr's as that would have been my guess. I haven't seen any here in Oz but it wouldn't surprise me if there are a few.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Those phone shots look great. That photo of the 31's is also inspirational. Thanks to Merfs photos I plan to do one with the stripes.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark, Can't beat a nice class 31.

Cheers Peter.

Stunning Peter, I love the Speedlink working, and the pre planned destinations you have for the Stock, just lovely.

Thanks Andy,

I try to run Llanbourne like a real railway and the Speedlink traffic is quite close to what was running along the North Wales Coast back in the mid 80s.

Cheers Peter, 

• Like 4

Fly ash -

Presumably if the ash is wetted down, it won't fly away as the train speeds along, so maybe you ought to aim for a wet, but not sludgy, look.

And if it's too dry, and some ash blows off the top along the way, well sure, isn't that cheaper than paying to put a full load into a landfill at the far end? I wonder how much lighter the train would have been by the end of its journey.

Alan

• Like 1

Fly ash -

Presumably if the ash is wetted down, it won't fly away as the train speeds along, so maybe you ought to aim for a wet, but not sludgy, look.

And if it's too dry, and some ash blows off the top along the way, well sure, isn't that cheaper than paying to put a full load into a landfill at the far end? I wonder how much lighter the train would have been by the end of its journey.

Alan

From memory the ash was not wetted. The stuff was used in the construction of the A55 dual carriageway so they would also have wanted as much to have arrived as possible rather than trying to save on cost per ton to dump it.

Selection of the hoppers may have revolved around the fairly rapid discharge at the terminal. 

Regards

Scott

The Flyash was dry but once it got wet it set like concrete, in Merf's photo the 56 is stood on 65 points which use to stand off if one of the hoppers had a leak & it was raining, no doubt Merf was called out to them on a few occasions no doubt.

The Ash was also used under where the diverted North Wales Coast Mainline now runs between Colwyn Bay & Mochdre, once loaded the train would draw forward onto the Quay Sidings back road (siding closest to the River Conwy on the photo) and if the main yard was full, we would run it round outside the box (it was very tight) via the main line then set it back down the Quay Siding to take the empties back Warrington from there.

Stu

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fly ash?  I recall from the M5 works that it had to be kept bone dry and was transported in covered wagons because once it got damp all you had was a brick.

• Like 2

Fly ash?  I recall from the M5 works that it had to be kept bone dry and was transported in covered wagons because once it got damp all you had was a brick.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98755-favorite-class-37-hauled-train/?view=getnewpost

Scroll upto post number 32, Phil_sutters, 3 black and white pics of fly ash working for the M5.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info on fly ash trains. I will make up a load and post up a pic and get some feedback. I actually have a few days off this week so might even have time to do it.

Cheers Peter.