Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter,

Quick search turned up this photo of the shed in 1935 (scroll down):

http://www.6g.nwrail.org.uk/mainline.htm

So it wasn't a LNWR northlight roof.

I've a book on LMS / LMR loco sheds which lists out some of the depot modernisation programmes - which included re-roofing with the standard LMS concrete pattern roof which I think were primarily cast at the concrete works over at Newton Heath. I'll look up when, if listed, Holyhead was improved.

There also some great photos of concrete components for pits and roofing concrete segments for either Leicester or Upperby roundhouse.

Cheers.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I must have missed you post the other day so sorry. Thanks for the info, I spent some time looking through the site you linked. Some great pics of interesting workings too.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I couldnt make it Peter. AGC mid year concert required my attendance. the O gauge is looking very nice. This will keep you out of mischief for a while. 

Great to see the stone Circle is living on!

That's looking really good Peter. The stone circle has spliced in very well. Good to see some more of my work living on.

Thanks Rick glad you think it look ok, the dirt track going up to the stone wall is your work as well. I am glad to have been able to save some of your work and it looks good on the hill. 

Also put some money in your Paypal account for the board and track which has gone to it's new home.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Sorry I couldnt make it Peter. AGC mid year concert required my attendance. the O gauge is looking very nice. This will keep you out of mischief for a while. 

Great to see the stone Circle is living on!

No worries Doug, there is always next time. 

The 7mm will keep me busy along with all the other 00 stuff doubt it will keep me out of mischief though.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Great "summer" images Peter, really loving the railfreight locos.

Thanks Simon,

I see you are getting some nice warm weather their at the moment. It's actually our winter at the moment I am sitting here with the fire going.

Cheers Peter.

More impressive locos Peter!!

luv that railfreight split head code 37 :senile:  :locomotive:

Thanks Neil,

Yes 37032 is a bit of a beast. I remember seeing a few times back in the day. I have a pic of it somewhere coming on shed at Eastleigh Depot with another 37, back when they used to work down on freightliners. I think 032 was one of the last ones still in the red stripe liv.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

More excellent photos... Interesting to hear that 37032 was one of the last to keep the red stripe. Currently I'm looking for examples of 37s and 47s which were the last to loose the early railfreight livery.

Cheers

Alan

Some lovely traction at Llanbourne Peter, always did like Original Railfreight livery.

Those bashers would have loved 032 working the DMU service. I have mentioned this previously on Dave's WW thread, had a pair of 37s on a failed DMU into Waverley many years ago;

EW6s.jpg

EW5s.jpg

Lots of bashers on board!

Good to see that you have finally started the 7mm project, nice Peak!

• Like 5

Hi Peter,

It's been a while since I've had time to look through the layout but nice to see another 31 enter service. I've done 31444 but in its later Dutch livery as it looked a nice option to add something different for the club trains.

Nice to see the layout updates and hope you are all well.

All the best

Mark

Hi Peter

More excellent photos... Interesting to hear that 37032 was one of the last to keep the red stripe. Currently I'm looking for examples of 37s and 47s which were the last to loose the early railfreight livery.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan,

I think 37032 was still in red stripe in 93 though I think by this time it had a Tinsley painted on name.

Cheers Peter.

Some lovely traction at Llanbourne Peter, always did like Original Railfreight livery.

Those bashers would have loved 032 working the DMU service. I have mentioned this previously on Dave's WW thread, had a pair of 37s on a failed DMU into Waverley many years ago;

EW6s.jpg

EW5s.jpg

Lots of bashers on board!

Good to see that you have finally started the 7mm project, nice Peak!

Thanks Alex,

The 37s would have been longer than the DMU, I bet it didn't hang about. The 7mm will be a slow project due to funding and the fact that I am still working on Llanbourne.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

It's been a while since I've had time to look through the layout but nice to see another 31 enter service. I've done 31444 but in its later Dutch livery as it looked a nice option to add something different for the club trains.

Nice to see the layout updates and hope you are all well.

All the best

Mark

Hi Mark,

All good thanks, how are you going with the new addition to the family settling in well i hope. 31444 is actually a Lima model I did years ago it's currently a dummy but may get a Hornby power unit at some point. 

Not sure I have seen your Dutch 31444, I guess it would have still seen passenger use while in Dutch liv  as it was an ETH loco although I think some ETH loco's had it isolated.

Cheers Peter

Hiya Peter. A brilliant set a photographs on this page and thanks for putting up the old TTA's that we were chaffing about on another thread. They look the business regardless of their vintage. My own rake is stalled at the moment due to the amount of them ...etc...not knowing which type and all that. I'll be keeping the old walkways but I've cut out the undercrackers between the axles......a big mistake as they look good in your pics; the weathering and ladder mods plus decals transform them from toy to scale model plus the quality  of the lansdcape they're rolling through makes you believe they're not the old beasts. By the way, which decals have you used/have been used on the older tanks?

Me and a modelling mate (with another Hornby TTA rake on the go) were going through your photo's the other day and the how realistic thread and pretty much agreed that realism is not all about having the latest releases or EM/P4 trackwork. The scenes on your layout are so carefully observed from real life and the stock/PW and scenery so well done. 

Cheers

Andy

Hiya Peter. A brilliant set a photographs on this page and thanks for putting up the old TTA's that we were chaffing about on another thread. They look the business regardless of their vintage. My own rake is stalled at the moment due to the amount of them ...etc...not knowing which type and all that. I'll be keeping the old walkways but I've cut out the undercrackers between the axles......a big mistake as they look good in your pics; the weathering and ladder mods plus decals transform them from toy to scale model plus the quality  of the lansdcape they're rolling through makes you believe they're not the old beasts. By the way, which decals have you used/have been used on the older tanks?

Me and a modelling mate (with another Hornby TTA rake on the go) were going through your photo's the other day and the how realistic thread and pretty much agreed that realism is not all about having the latest releases or EM/P4 trackwork. The scenes on your layout are so carefully observed from real life and the stock/PW and scenery so well done. 

Cheers

Andy

Thanks for you kind comments Andy,

If I had to start again I would use code 75 track and possibly make a few of my own points but I am happy quite happy with how Llanbourne looks, and I have very few derailments. 

I can post up a few more pics of the TTAs if you want. The decals are from the Fox range, and are based on the ESSO tanks that I used to see working out of Fawley back in the day. I think I mentioned on the other thread they should be Shell tankers really as Stanlow was a Shell refinery. 

I think it is too easy to get caught up in buying the lasted thing and I have done it myself with regard to loco's as although the Lima loco's did generally look quite good they just didn't run well. I have replaced my MK1s too and have some MK2s but I still have old Hornby MK2s and Dapol MK2ds in service and they still look quite good.

Cheers Peter.

Time in the garage this afternoon was spent sorting out 37032. It wasn't running very well when on the failed DMU the other day so I changed the Decoder. The old Bachmann decoders don't work well for me I always have trouble with slow speed control and 37032 was surging when running at mid speed. I tried a Hattons 21 decoder but the top speed was too slow even after playing with CVs. I then put in a TCS decoder which I have no idea how or when I got it. I had removed it from 47358 yesterday as 47358 wasn't running well as slow speeds. Now the class 37 is running a lot better and 47358 with the Hattons decoder seems to be running well too.

I have also fixed the signal by fixing the lower arm to a fixed distant.

Having visited chester depot after working the failed DMU a few days ago 37032 finds itself on the coast again. This time on a ballast working from Crewe.

45141 is seen sitting in the middle road then later heading out to Bangor on a Trans- Pennine service.

TTAs on the fuel road.

post-7022-0-42662700-1498396536_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-10338400-1498396590_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-80236100-1498396624_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-57316200-1498396692_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-45156500-1498396761_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-84638200-1498396869_thumb.jpg

• Like 16