Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Time in the garage this afternoon was spent sorting out 37032. It wasn't running very well when on the failed DMU the other day so I changed the Decoder. The old Bachmann decoders don't work well for me I always have trouble with slow speed control and 37032 was surging when running at mid speed. I tried a Hattons 21 decoder but the top speed was too slow even after playing with CVs. I then put in a TCS decoder which I have no idea how or when I got it. I had removed it from 47358 yesterday as 47358 wasn't running well as slow speeds. Now the class 37 is running a lot better and 47358 with the Hattons decoder seems to be running well too.

I have also fixed the signal by fixing the lower arm to a fixed distant.

Having visited chester depot after working the failed DMU a few days ago 37032 finds itself on the coast again. This time on a ballast working from Crewe.

45141 is seen sitting in the middle road then later heading out to Bangor on a Trans- Pennine service.

TTAs on the fuel road.

Reading about the bad running and the Bachmann Chip, my Chip of choice now, if it's not sound, is the Gaugemaster DCC 27, an 8/21 pin chip that seems to suit any Loco, i.e Bachmann Heljan, Hornby and Dapol.

Great pics again Peter, thanks.

Reading about the bad running and the Bachmann Chip, my Chip of choice now, if it's not sound, is the Gaugemaster DCC 27, an 8/21 pin chip that seems to suit any Loco, i.e Bachmann Heljan, Hornby and Dapol.

Great pics again Peter, thanks.

Thanks Andy,

I have used the Gaugemaster 8 pin decoders on a number of my loco's I think they are quite good more recently I have used the Hattons decoders which are equally as good.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Andy,

I have used the Gaugemaster 8 pin decoders on a number of my loco's I think they are quite good more recently I have used the Hattons decoders which are equally as good.

Cheers Peter.

My own chip of choice is ESU, I have experienced problems with both Hattons own chip as well as Bachmanns chips, so I switched to ESU and have had no issues since.

My own chip of choice is ESU, I have experienced problems with both Hattons own chip as well as Bachmanns chips, so I switched to ESU and have had no issues since.

Hi Simon,

I have used some of them too, they are a bit more expensive than some but I have had no problems with then and loco's run very well without having to play with CVs.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

I'm always popping into your topic, wonderful modelling, lovely rolling stock and a classic period. All of this I should have said before really especially as now I feel compelled to ask a question, the weathering on your TTA's looks spot on.........any tips to achieve that look please?

• RMweb Gold

Your last photo with 56070 has a Bedford HA. I've seen these on a number of layouts but never been able to find one for sale. Was it previously on sale or is yours a repaint of (say) a BT van?

My interest is that they were the S&T van in use back in '75 when I started and would suit the time period of my layout perfectly.

Thanks,

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The HA van was part of a 4 vehicle set in the Corgi Trackside range. Catalogue number BR1004 and containing a Ford Transit van, the Bedford HA van, a Morris Minor van (all in yellow) and an Austin J2 van in British Railways maroon. 

Looking up the answer to this question answers one I had - why did I buy an Austin J4 in BR maroon? Now I know! It doesn't fit my era, and I have ideas to convert it to a builder's pick-up. My HA though gets a lot of use, appearing on all my layouts regularly.

Thanks Alan,

I think 37032 was still in red stripe in 93 though I think by this time it had a Tinsley painted on name.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter...sorry for the late reply. Been on holiday for a week.

I'm looking for locos which kept the early livery well into 1992 so 37032 will do nicely.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Peter

I'm always popping into your topic, wonderful modelling, lovely rolling stock and a classic period. All of this I should have said before really especially as now I feel compelled to ask a question, the weathering on your TTA's looks spot on.........any tips to achieve that look please?

Thanks Adrian,

The TTAs are weathered using thinned down Humbrol paints, to get the really dirty look I used less thinners and added layers once the first was dry I would add some more paint and build up the layers. Best advice I could give is find some pics of the real thing and   try to copy the weathering.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-14219300-1499160705_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-79205200-1499160818_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Your last photo with 56070 has a Bedford HA. I've seen these on a number of layouts but never been able to find one for sale. Was it previously on sale or is yours a repaint of (say) a BT van?

My interest is that they were the S&T van in use back in '75 when I started and would suit the time period of my layout perfectly.

Thanks,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

As Adrian said they came from a 4 pack. I bought one and sold the Morris and the Austin. I was then given another pack by a friend so have two Bedford HA  vans. I haen't seen them for sale recently so a repaint might be your best option.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter...sorry for the late reply. Been on holiday for a week.

I'm looking for locos which kept the early livery well into 1992 so 37032 will do nicely.

Cheers

Alan

No worries Alan,

Looking forwards to seeing the new layout thread.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

More cracking photos as ever. The blue 56 looks really good sat in the yard.

I was slow to reply but all good with us Orla is 6 months already so limited modelling time at the moment. You are right about 31444 in Dutch I've found a few photos of it on club trains in around 1994 when it seems to have been borrowed for a while as it kept its eth from what I can make out. I cant find the photo of it on my phone so will need to dig one out,

All the best

Mark

Hi Peter,

More cracking photos as ever. The blue 56 looks really good sat in the yard.

I was slow to reply but all good with us Orla is 6 months already so limited modelling time at the moment. You are right about 31444 in Dutch I've found a few photos of it on club trains in around 1994 when it seems to have been borrowed for a while as it kept its eth from what I can make out. I cant find the photo of it on my phone so will need to dig one out,

All the best

Mark

No worries Mark,

I bet Orla is keeping you busy, a little modelling is better than none. 

I had a quick look on Flickr there are a few shots of 31444 in Dutch on club trains so I would guess it was used a bit. I forgot how big that nameplate looks, also looks like a headlight was fitted at some point too. Must admit I do like the Dutch liv on the class 31s.

All the best 

Peter.

post-7022-0-42870900-1499334890_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

More impressive work here Peter..

Thanks Neil,

A few more pics to add from the running session the other day, not in the garage tonight though way too cold.

Cheers Peter.

56070 storms out of Llanbourne on an empty fly ash train. 

I need to make up some loads for these wagons anyone have pics of what fly ash looks like as a load.

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-71636000-1499689786_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

56070 storms out of Llanbourne on an empty fly ash train. 

I need to make up some loads for these wagons anyone have pics of what fly ash looks like as a load.

Cheers Peter. 

Hello. 

Didn't fly ash generally get carried away in old presflo wagons.

Any pictures I've seen related too fly ash, is pretty much just a long line of presflo's 

behind 47's, 56's & 58's

P.S not saying that it wasn't transported using haa wagons. just never seen it. 

i suspect on that though it would be a bit like carrying cement powder in the open. 

Dave.

Edited by Thames 611

• RMweb Premium

Hello. 

Didn't fly ash generally get carried away in old presflo wagons.

Any pictures I've seen related too fly ash, is pretty much just a long line of presflo's 

behind 47's, 56's & 58's

P.S not saying that it wasn't transported using haa wagons. just never seen it. 

i suspect on that though it would be a bit like carrying cement powder in the open. 

Dave.

Slightly outside the timescale but back in 2013 they were using open wagons (JNAs?) on the Didcot Power Station to Calvert fly ash trains:

56091 in Didcot Yard with the empties https://flic.kr/p/ekAKbv

Slightly outside the timescale but back in 2013 they were using open wagons (JNAs?) on the Didcot Power Station to Calvert fly ash trains:

56091 in Didcot Yard with the empties https://flic.kr/p/ekAKbv

Fly ash from Newhaven Incinerator is transported out in bogie open wagons (JNA) 17051723396_221619e32e_b.jpgJNA VTG3958 by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

I also remember during my time with EWS that Uskmouth Power station, sent out flyash in MEA wagons during 2006-7