Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

• RMweb Premium

One of those Peaks is definitely overscale!

More great pics Peter and I'm having trouble telling which are real and which are model at times.

Here's an interesting line-up which hints at my future plans

post-3305-0-77064300-1495822434_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

More great pics Peter and I'm having trouble telling which are real and which are model at times.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

An Australian layout then!

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear. The inverted image has been reported but I cannot get it to upload correctly on the phone which is the only device I currently have available.

Nice photos Peter, Heljan have done a nice job with the Peak, have some plans to go 7mm?

Hi Rob,

Only plans at the moment but yes. Just a small shunting layout, I will start a thread when I have made the boards. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

I don't think there's an easy way to break this to you, Peter, but I don't think the Peak you've been saving for is to the same scale as the other one. Unless of course it's just that the smaller one is "far away".

:jester:

Very nice.

Thanks Dave, It is a bit of a big it does make the 4mm stuff look a bit on the small side.

Cheers Peter.

BIG BROTHER looks nice mate, but please can I ask about the front of the Bogie, the axle appears to be sticking out.

I am well happy with it Andy, The front axle is sticking out a bit. It's just the way I have plonked it on the layout, the front pony wheel can move left to right like on the real thing though in the pic it looks like it right across to one side.

Cheers Peter.

peter that is a beast wow personally i would prefer a 37 but the peak is awesome looks great next to the oo scale version . Heljan have made some great o scale models and there very tempting but will have to console myself with great photos posted like yours do you have plans to weather it up , the skinhead 31 looks ace but you dont need me to tell you that great work keep posting the fantastic pics on here .

I have a class 37 too but in green, It needs a total repaint so is still in it's box. Plan is to do it as 37043. the 45 will be weathered and numbered 45036 which was the last one to have the black headcode boxes. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 3

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Hi Rick,

Looks like you had a good trip down West then. Hope you and Sharon are settling in ok, and enjoying the weather looks like it's been quite nice recently.

Let me know when you start your next thread.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Rob,

Only plans at the moment but yes. Just a small shunting layout, I will start a thread when I have made the boards. 

Cheers Peter.

A small shunting layout? That Peak will take up the whole length!!

It is an impressive looking model. I'll look forward to seeing it and possibly getting a hernia lifting it too. :)

• RMweb Premium

So a bit done this week and a rather large parcel arriving mid week. I don't normally post up pics of loco's fresh out of the box but this one is something I have been saving for for quite a while.  

Peaks have always been a favourite so when I saw Heljan were going to one I couldn't resist. The loco is pictured next to my 4mm 45036 which is what the big one will be eventually. Another 4mm Peak 45103 has now been fitted with Biffs sound, it's really quite good but a real ###### to fit Speaker wise.

Another loco nearly ready for a return to traffic is 31444. It has been sat in the display case for a few years and I even thought about selling it. 31444 was one of the last repaints I did in the UK before leaving to live here in Oz and it;s had a bit of work done to it. I have removed the motor gears and pick ups so the loco will be used as a dummy. New ETH sockets and air pipes have been fitted so once painted and weathered it will get some use. 

Cheers Peter.

Peter -

Here's a photo of 31444 in slightly cleaner condition than your model.

post-21039-0-88526000-1495968893_thumb.jpg

On 17/8/88 at Keighley the loco was named "The Keighley & Worth Valley Railway". This shot was taken after the ceremony but I can't remember which station it is. The photo was sent to me by the KWVR so I presume they hold the copyright. I don't know the photographer's name.

• Like 5

A small shunting layout? That Peak will take up the whole length!!

It is an impressive looking model. I'll look forward to seeing it and possibly getting a hernia lifting it too. :)

Well 12ft by 2ft is the plan. The Peak does have a bit of weight it's in bits at the moment hopefully back together by the time I have my meeting next month.

Cheers Peter.

Peter -

Here's a photo of 31444 in slightly cleaner condition than your model.

attachicon.gif19880817 001 31 444 naming ceremony.jpg

On 17/8/88 at Keighley the loco was named "The Keighley & Worth Valley Railway". This shot was taken after the ceremony but I can't remember which station it is. The photo was sent to me by the KWVR so I presume they hold the copyright. I don't know the photographer's name.

Hi John,

I think it had a repaint in 88 prior to being named. Who's the dodgy looking bloke stood by the loco. lol

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Llanbourne has needed a loco shed for some time now and I am thinking about making one with the help of a mate who has a 3D printer. So I need to work out what I want.

Something like Holyhead of Bangor but way smaller. I quite like the look of the Bachmann more modern shed and the old Hornby doublo shed as these have what looks like a flat roof with skylights and vents which is what I would prefer. I am guessing Holyhead was a North lights shed but at some point was re roofed.

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers Peter. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter.

We should have had this conversation a few weeks back as I have a Bachy modern shed surplus to my needs and currently at sea off Colombo headed to London.

Ah well.

I always thought of Llanbourne as having once had a shed which had been demolished with just the fuelling point left as a reminder of what used to be there.

Hi Peter.

We should have had this conversation a few weeks back as I have a Bachy modern shed surplus to my needs and currently at sea off Colombo headed to London.

Ah well.

I always thought of Llanbourne as having once had a shed which had been demolished with just the fuelling point left as a reminder of what used to be there.

Hi Rick,

Hope you and Sharon are ok, sorry to hear about the terrorist  attack in London.

The Bachy shed would be to big so no worries, it is a nice looking bit of kit though. 

Funny you say that I have thought about just doing the walls a bit like the shed at Exeter St Davids but I think a complete shed will look better plus it will hide a few loco's as Sometimes I think the station area looks to full of loco's so a few hiding in the shed would be better.

All the best Peter.

• Like 2

Hi All,

Llanbourne has needed a loco shed for some time now and I am thinking about making one with the help of a mate who has a 3D printer. So I need to work out what I want.

Something like Holyhead of Bangor but way smaller. I quite like the look of the Bachmann more modern shed and the old Hornby doublo shed as these have what looks like a flat roof with skylights and vents which is what I would prefer. I am guessing Holyhead was a North lights shed but at some point was re roofed.

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Quick search turned up this photo of the shed in 1935 (scroll down):

http://www.6g.nwrail.org.uk/mainline.htm

So it wasn't a LNWR northlight roof.

I've a book on LMS / LMR loco sheds which lists out some of the depot modernisation programmes - which included re-roofing with the standard LMS concrete pattern roof which I think were primarily cast at the concrete works over at Newton Heath. I'll look up when, if listed, Holyhead was improved.

There also some great photos of concrete components for pits and roofing concrete segments for either Leicester or Upperby roundhouse.

Cheers.

Ian

Hi Peter,

Quick search turned up this photo of the shed in 1935 (scroll down):http://www.6g.nwrail.org.uk/mainline.htm

So it wasn't a LNWR northlight roof.

I've a book on LMS / LMR loco sheds which lists out some of the depot modernisation programmes - which included re-roofing with the standard LMS concrete pattern roof which I think were primarily cast at the concrete works over at Newton Heath. I'll look up when, if listed, Holyhead was improved.

There also some great photos of concrete components for pits and roofing concrete segments for either Leicester or Upperby roundhouse.

Cheers.

Ian

And let's not forget this great source (loads of class 24 photos generally across the site):

http://www.2d53.co.uk/holyhead/Shed.htm

The N.Wales Railway website (6G) will have plenty opf pictures in there somewhere, but a quick search showed these up:

post-14906-0-86586400-1496862473.jpg

post-14906-0-55910700-1496862480.jpg

After that shed there was just a single line servicing shed put there, not too sure if it was fuelling as well or not, and I'm not sure of the year either.

Jinty ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Not a good night at London Bridge but full marks all round for all who stood against the nutters. From drinkers armed with bar stools and a BTP officer who took on all three with just a truncheon for self defence. Police took just 90 seconds to arrive and 8 minutes to locate and "neutralise" (their word) the idiots. I'm not sure the Vic Police would have been so quick and decisive at Brighton.

All's well here. Just the occasional random armed plod where you don't expect to see one. Teddington station at school time this afternoon fir instance. Or patrolling the aisles in Waitrose.

Well Vic Pol decided to take 30 minutes to attend to an incident on a plane in Melbourne! They closed the Brighton area for 36 hours during and after the incident. Full marks to the Met! 

It is one thing that does concern me if there is an incident it takes too long for a response. The members on the ground can move quick but higher up I can see the inertia!

Any how when I heard of the problem a quick message to my sister who said she was tucked up in her bed by that time. I think she works quite close to there though.  

As others have said "the price of peace is eternal vigilance" therefore to every one we just need to be more aware of our surroundings and of things that are out of place. 

• RMweb Premium

The siege in Sydney took how long to end? And lives were ultimately lost there too. A major incident with multiple crime scenes late on Saturday night in London was dealt with so quickly and thoroughly that 30 hours later the area was open (with the exception of the market) and from 5am Monday the morning rush into the City took place as normal.

Must admit I don't think Vic Pol would be anywhere near as quick to act as in London. I heard today they had a clear shot in Sydney but weren't sure if they had clearance to shoot. The guy in Brighton should never have been out on parole but thats another issue.

Cheers Peter.

The N.Wales Railway website (6G) will have plenty opf pictures in there somewhere, but a quick search showed these up:

attachicon.gifholyhead 1.jpg

attachicon.gifHolyhead 2.jpg

After that shed there was just a single line servicing shed put there, not too sure if it was fuelling as well or not, and I'm not sure of the year either.

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty,

I had seen those pics but will have a look at the website when I get more time. I am thinking a smaller version of Bachmann style shed at the moment which won't be too unlike the Holyhead shed.

Cheers Peter.