Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter,

Love the photographic updates from Llanbourne - have you thought of following Clagmeister's concept (maybe on a separate thread or a blog?) of doing a day in the life of Llanbourne? Starting with the first train in the morning and finishing with the last at night - done over several days of course! Given the freight, the locals, the inter-regionals and the variety of locomotives, I think that would be a superb thread! Only a thought, not wishing to give you extra work!

Rich

Hi Rich,

I have just been catching up on your thread, very nice. I could do an hour that would probably take a while. I haven't used the layout for a while so after a clean up I might give it a go.

Cheers Peter.

613 looks a real treat on the stock cool.gif

They look like Lima Mk 2's.......Still look good to this day. I'm sure Southern pride do a super detailing kit for them (Inc flush glazing, shell vents etc etc)

Keep the phots coming Pete, this thread is a real joy

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Thanks, the MK2s are Hornby which aren't the best model but look ok with a bit of work, I have painted the interiors and fitted flush windows.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Pete,

Always a treat to see '613 out. You've done an excellent job of removing the NRN aerial. How much work did it take? Looks like an good paint match.

Hi Matt,

613 is the second 47 that I have removed the aerial from, it dosn't take long. I put masking tape around the area I am working on so that I don't remove any other detail. I use a knife to start with then a file and wet & dry, a bit of white paint to show up any raised bits then on with the paint. I used Humbrol 154 and painted the whole roof area and cab.

Cheers Peter..

Hi Peter,

Always nice to see your new stock updates and 613 is no exception and looks good in its fresher paint scheme. I really liked your 31 on the engineers service a few pages back now. I can see me adding a couple of 31's for my future project next year with the Reggie and railfreight ones from Hornby. Keep up the good work as awlays!

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Rich,

I have just been catching up on your thread, very nice. I could do an hour that would probably take a while. I haven't used the layout for a while so after a clean up I might give it a go.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter,

Could be quite interesting .... feature the arrivals and departures for the hour at the start of the thread and then photograph the various movements. If you weren't on t'other side of the world, I'd offer to arrange a day to give you a hand to photograph and compile it!

Whats next in your plans for Llanbourne, or is it further stock rather than adding to the layout?

Rich

Clifford Road TMD - 7mm Scottish Depot in the 1980s

Hi Matt, Let us know how you get on, just take your time you should be all right.

Thanks Keith, Not sure why I dug out the old NSE coaches.;)

Thanks Mark, You do like your class 31s don't you.:D Your future project sounds interesting, do tell.

Thanks John, The station lamps don't work they are by Knightwing, they are whitemetal so get bent around a bit when I knock them.:rolleyes: Working lamps would be nice, maybe one day.

Hi Rich, I like your idea of listing the arrivals and departures, I cleaned some track today so I might see if I can make a stert this week.

I still have plenty of things to do on Llanbourne, this year I have been working on stock mainly class 47s, next year I plan to get some work done on the layout, station roof signal box loco shed and small extention of that area plus I still need to sort out my backscenes oh and there is the extension which needs a bit of work.:D Over the last few years I right myself a list of things to try and do over the year I don't stress about not getting things done but it help me keep focused, well to a point anyway.

Cheers Peter.

I was talking to Peter yesterday about the possibilities of DCC and wiring into the exisiting system using a DPDT switch to allow operation on either DC or DCC (but not both at the same time!). We also discussed possible systems and future-proofing to allow for expansion and adaptation to Peter's needs. He has taken a lot of this "on board" for consideration. Llanbourne may yet go DCC in the not too distant future!!

It was nice to catch up again.

Also, I missed wishing you (Peter and his family) a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year as we probably won't see you before then.

The Season's wishes also extend to all who are reading this.

:)

I was talking to Peter yesterday about the possibilities of DCC and wiring into the exisiting system using a DPDT switch to allow operation on either DC or DCC (but not both at the same time!). We also discussed possible systems and future-proofing to allow for expansion and adaptation to Peter's needs. He has taken a lot of this "on board" for consideration. Llanbourne may yet go DCC in the not too distant future!!

It was nice to catch up again.

Also, I missed wishing you (Peter and his family) a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year as we probably won't see you before then.

The Season's wishes also extend to all who are reading this.

:)

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your advice, I will keep saving my pennies and picking your brain :D but I think it will happen.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and Agnes. I had to leave Franks meeting a bit early as I had to get back for my work Christmas party.:D

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

May I also add my best wishes for Christmas and the New Year to Llanbourne and "all who sail in her".

After extended poor health (which isn't behind me yet) I am really looking forward to another visit whenever possible to one of the star projects. By return you are equally welcome to drop into Penhayle Bay at some stage.

May I also add my best wishes for Christmas and the New Year to Llanbourne and "all who sail in her".

After extended poor health (which isn't behind me yet) I am really looking forward to another visit whenever possible to one of the star projects. By return you are equally welcome to drop into Penhayle Bay at some stage.

Thanks Rick,

Sorry to hear you are still not a 100%. I will have to sort out a free weekend in Jan or Feb, and invite you down, though the shed does get a bit oven like on hot days, not that we have had many.

All the best to you and Sharon for Christmas and the New Year.

Cheers Peter.

In deed Peter as usual it is looking great!.

BTW don't pick too much of SRmans brains he still needs them. you know that you can play with a few different systems out there. I think though you are already on the path to the dark side.... I thought the same thing about 9 years ago and saw the benefits!

Merry christmas to you and yours! Does Abbey want an Iphone for chirstmas :blink: :rolleyes:

Hi Pete, sorting out some old pics ..was yours 47416 ?..or 418 ..I can`t remember, but found this one of 416 with gateshead badge like your model... cheers bro.

Thanks Keith,

It's 418 but thats a good pic, I like the NB painted at the bottom. I might have to do that on a model one day.

Cheers Peter.

In deed Peter as usual it is looking great!.

BTW don't pick too much of SRmans brains he still needs them. you know that you can play with a few different systems out there. I think though you are already on the path to the dark side.... I thought the same thing about 9 years ago and saw the benefits!

Merry christmas to you and yours! Does Abbey want an Iphone for chirstmas :blink: :rolleyes:

Hi Doug,

Still not decided what to go with, but I am in no hurry.

Abbie would love an Iphone for Christmas, thanks so much you are too kind.:lol: :lol: ;)

Merry Christmas to you all, cheers Peter.

Pete, check out the latest Digitrax Zephyr... now up to 3.5Amp and 28 function for 225US so about 285AUD.This may give you every thing you need. Add to it a DT402 latter and you can control 3 locos with full functions(Yes I know there are the jump ports so theortically you can contol 3locos straight off but a bit of mucking around to use the functions!). This might be a cheap and easy route. There is always something new out there!

Enjoy your break and hopefully we can all catch up in Jan

Here is 47418 waiting to leave platform 3 on the 1J31 19.52 service to Man Vic.

Merry Christmas, cheers Peter.

Here is 47418 waiting to leave platform 3 on the 1J31 19.52 service to Man Vic.

Merry Christmas, cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Superb photograph .... although I think the 20s in the background would be a little more interesting for me!!! :) Really looks the part though!

Everyone has their own interpretation of which DCC system is best - but I've got Digitrax and would totally recommend it - worked well for me and I played with ZTC, Lenz and Zimo before going for Digitrax. If you've any questions, feel free to fire them across - i'm not an expert but i'll help if I can and will *try* and give you an honest unbiased opinion!!!!

Rich

Peter has "played" with my NCE Power Cab at an exhibition but I also recommend trying other systems before taking the plunge. I do try to give unbiased opinions and recommendations because each system has its plus and minus points. I borrowed DougN's Digitrax Zephyr before choosing the NCE system but there are other equally virtuous systems out there. Having said that, I think the Digitrax Zephyr and NCE Power Cab offer the best value for money starter systems that also allow for almost infinite expansion in the future... well, at least, sufficient expansion possibilities that would allow for the largest and most complex possible layouts!

Raise the bar a little and something like the Lenz or ESU ECoS have their merits as fully fledged systems - at a somewhat higher starting price.

At least Peter is not short of BRMA members in the surrounding area with different systems to try out befoe deciding to take the plunge.

p.s. (whispering!) I bet he DOES take the plunge, though!!!! ;)

Thanks Doug, I will have a look at that.:D

Hi Rich, No worries if I have any questions I will ask, I have had a play with Digitrax, my only concern was the buttons sticking, though this was a fairly old system.

I wil dig out a pic of the 20s for you, I did notice a slightly larger pair on your layout, I saw one in the flesh when I was in the UK back in Feb very nice and tempting.:O

Cheers Peter.