RMweb

The Night Mail

47 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

A trolley junction just around the corner, partially hidden by the tan building, I suspect. One can see evidence of it in the prw.

I liked the beware  swinging axes. 

Sums up the level of peril nicely

The green lights don't help

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SM42 said:

We've been out pottering around the area today and found a broad gauge railway. 

20230807_112300.jpg.ed6ee2616a4eef514ab9e4cb96eee0b1.jpg

Not something you see everyday, unless of course you live in these parts. 

Of course we stopped off in a cake shop that has a sideline in coffee

Now this is a boat lift...

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Being a Welsh hippo he has to go back to the land of red rugby shirts at frequent intervals to get reacquainted with sheep, bara brith and leeks so North Hipposhire becomes free and clear. Those occasions are advertised by the local tourist information centres so you could visit then.

Dave

Ewe-sheep-1-01.jpeg.bc10a611d0205fb5283569e93fe204f3.jpeg

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

if you go down to the woods today, you may get......a Paneer!

20230806_1542471.jpg.2388c4fc7998e08a3b5c9ee3e5a79540.jpg

...and a Peckett.

20230805_1623111.jpg.c4ebd0be2d09a433b7f6afc24baa643f.jpg

I can do the pannier reasonably well:

GWR74110-6-0side-003.JPG.dd6eacfec337fb5b9782ce16bee01d69.JPG

But for the Peckett; well, this will have to suffice:

BO0-4-0-002.JPG.e57dadb59a6352a74820e6e376abd932.JPG

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I’ve just had an email from HH saying that a friend of his has been banned from TNM by Phil Parker because of something posted here last night and as a result he (HH) has left RM Web. HH is currently unavailable on the phone for clarification of what has gone on so I have PM’d Phil Parker for more information.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

What is this about?

Dave

Quite!

Would this zoo / safari not be more comfortable in PM area?

If it remains in the public area, the various animals are in danger of being run over by trains!

CJI.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, cctransuk said:

Quite!

Would this zoo / safari not be more comfortable in PM area?

If it remains in the public area, the various animals are in danger of being run over by trains!

CJI.

See my latest post.

Dave

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Dave Hunt said:

See my latest post.

Dave

I have - but it still makes no sense / has little relevance to most of us.

Frankly, I think that all this pen name thing is nonesense, but it seems that I am in a minority there.

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I’ve just had an email from HH saying that a friend of his has been banned from TNM by Phil Parker because of something posted here last night and as a result he (HH) has left RM Web. HH is currently unavailable on the phone for clarification of what has gone on so I have PM’d Phil Parker for more information.

Dave

Bear, for one will be most sorry to see Big H (my Partner in Crime**) leave us; if I'm right in thinking that the person banned is @br2975 (BR - please correct me via PM if I've got this wrong) then that'll be a sad state indeed - I've always found BR's posts (particularly with regard to all things Police related) to be most interesting and useful.

(**Cake snafflin')

Yours,

A Sad, Sad Bear......😢

• Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I have - but it still makes no sense / has little relevance to most of us.

Frankly, I think that all this pen name thing is nonesense, but it seems that I am in a minority there.

John Isherwood.

John, I'm sorry but I would have thought that the author of this thread leaving RM Web because of another contributor being censured, punished, call it what you will would be of interest and/or relevance to several people who post here. All I am trying to do is get to the bottom of what has happened and why. If this offends you I am sorry but I intend trying to establish the facts and unless a large number of TNMers object I will carry on posting my findings.

Regarding pen names, whilst I see no reason to use one myself, I'm sure that others have good reasons for so doing. In fact, don't you use one yourself?

Dave

• Agree 18
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

John, I'm sorry but I would have thought that the author of this thread leaving RM Web because of another contributor being censured, punished, call it what you will would be of interest and/or relevance to several people who post here. All I am trying to do is get to the bottom of what has happened and why. If this offends you I am sorry but I intend trying to establish the facts and unless a large number of TNMers object I will carry on posting my findings.

Regarding pen names, whilst I see no reason to use one myself, I'm sure that others have good reasons for so doing. In fact, don't you use one yourself?

Dave

Dave,

Being put on the 'naughty step' is nothing new to me - it goes with the territory of 'speak your mind'! I don't think that going off in a huff is the answer, though.

I did think that the whole Hippo, Bear and cake thing had got a bit out of hand.

As to pseudonyms, I had to choose one when I joined, but I always sign off as John Isherwood or CJI - I flatter myself that most members know who CJI is by now!

John Isherwood.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I have been in contact with our moderator, Phil Parker, and br2975 is no longer banned from TNM. I will let HH know.

Thanks Dave - much appreciated.

Perhaps it's appropriate at this time to go back to Richard's first posting in this topic in July 2020 - and with hindsight it could be said that "Wheeltappers" might have been a more appropriate place rather than in "Modelling" although there is always the "Ignore" button for those who find the content is not quite what they expected.

The Night Mail is the antidote for Early Risers and for those who don't have to get up so early!

This page of letters, continuing themes.

Tell us your nightmares, and your dreams.

If you are a girl without a blog,

Or a boy who wants a dog

You're welcome to relay your news 

What you tell us you can choose.

We're here to listen and to chat.

It really is about all that.

We'll talk boats, and cars and planes

Unlike ERs, we welcome trains.

Show your pictures, good and bad.

Tell of the things that make you mad.

So come in here and show your face

All are welcome in this place.

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Dave,

Being put on the 'naughty step' is nothing new to me - it goes with the territory of 'speak your mind'! I don't think that going off in a huff is the answer, though.

I did think that the whole Hippo, Bear and cake thing had got a bit out of hand.

As to pseudonyms, I had to choose one when I joined, but I always sign off as John Isherwood or CJI - I flatter myself that most members know who CJI is by now!

John Isherwood.

OK John. I don't want to get into any acrimonious exchanges so I'll leave it at that and hope that things settle down. 

Dave

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Back now from what turned out to be a longer time on the tram tour. Part way round one of the Number 28 trams broke down ahead of which caused considerable delay. While we were not moving someone on the  excursion tram in our two tram convoy went into some sort of diabetic event and wasn’t responding. Lisbon is certainly a place where motorcycle paramedics would be useful. Once the passenger was collected and taken away by ambulance we attempted to move but the driver couldn’t release the handbrake. There was a big shiny wheel attached to the shaft in shown in my photo. The driver tried levering the ratchet and pawl to no effect but flagged down a tram coming the other way way. That driver got off and whacked the brake mechanism with a heavy rod and everything worked.

image.jpeg.aa320bbd39102c79cf570b5cbf4b764f.jpeg
After we got off the tram everything else was a bit rushed and they missed out the loo break on the coach trip which wasn’t popular with some of the passengers. 
I got shouted at and threatened with police at port security.  My  belt on my shorts is plastic and isn’t easily removable. The security agent insisted I remove it so I said I would try and stepped back out of the way to try to comply. Hence the resultant “police police” raised voice. The next scanner just called me round and said belt, plastic , no metal. I said yes, and he waved me through to the body scanner without removing my belt which also indicated no metal anywhere. 
We have been in and out of a number of EU countries on this cruise. No one has stamped our passports. Only one port insisted we take our passports ashore and then didn’t supply any immigration staff to look at them. Also people joining tue cruise at that port were delayed as the ship couldn’t let anyone board 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18