Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Night Mail

3 hours ago, newbryford said:

Does that mean the previous headline was wrong?

Corrected version:

"Happy Hippo ate my Guinea Pig"....................

Peruvians have Guinea Pig onna stick, so I don't see why HH shouldn't attempt a culinary experiment, apparently they're very crunchy...

Paddington Bear must have taken the vegetarian option with his marmalade sarnies!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Peruvians have Guinea Pig onna stick, so I don't see why HH shouldn't attempt a culinary experiment, apparently they're very crunchy...

They do indeed. (Pics from a fabulous holiday there a few years back)

DSCF1234.JPG.f0a5a936550c19a1ba23ed7f7286cd7d.JPG

DSCF1242.JPG.4ec4d2b75f9f74e82759d0568e2c0f05.JPG

Just like some posh restaurants have "pick your own fish"......

DSCF1120.JPG.d397c47113dd0825825faebbc613c796.JPG

Only joking on that one - I didn't see any PYO pig outlets.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

The normally calm and peaceful aura of Hunt Towers has been replaced in the last couple of days by the banging, crashing and shouting of what seems like a large crowd but is actually three or sometimes four blokes replacing most of the roof.

That sounds like me looking for the elusive 11/16 Whitworth socket.

Or Miss Riding Hood looking for an earring down the back of the sofa...

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 21/09/2023 at 15:18, newbryford said:

"Happy Hippo ate my Hamster"" type headline?

''Freddie Star ate my Happy Hippo''

''Ringo Starr ate my Freddie''

''Freddie the Happy Hippo ate my Hamster''

''Ringo the Hamster ate Happy Hippo''

''Freddie's Happy Hippo now looks like Ringo Starr''

When will this madness end...?  😉

This morning I spent part of my fifty eighth birthday in Melton Mowbray Goods Loop wondering where it all went wrong...!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

This morning I spent part of my fifty eighth birthday in Melton Mowbray Goods Loop wondering where it all went wrong...!

You obviously didn't eat a hamster, Hippo or Freddie/Ringo Starr.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Due to excessive quantities of condensed moisture of the atmosphere falling visibly in separate drops over the past few days, it is highly likely that Saturday's golf competition will be postponed.

A visit to Stafford Ex may be on the cards instead.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Due to excessive quantities of condensed moisture of the atmosphere falling visibly in separate drops over the past few days, it is highly likely that Saturday's golf competition will be postponed.

Which reminds me to find out if DH intends to attend on Sunday for a quick catch up!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Sounds like a mighty fine alternative to bashin' a ball to death around a field, with the sole intention of losing it down a bunny hole eighteen times....🤣

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 8

26 minutes ago, polybear said:

Sounds like a mighty fine alternative to bashin' a ball to death around a field, with the sole intention of losing it down a bunny hole eighteen times....🤣

Golf.  Spoiling a pleasant walk...

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, newbryford said:

Only joking on that one - I didn't see any PYO pig outlets.

Some of my students were on a Peruvian field trip (amazing compared to when I was at school, we went to Worcester to see a lathe factory)  and they told me they did go to a PYO piggy restaurant. 

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

That is probably the most disgusting photo that I have seen on RMweb!

Perhaps they didn’t follow,the cooking suggestion from a leaflet at our local Royal Horticultural Society gardens.

IMG_0125.jpeg.c53b4507a4cd75cde84c549b0633b7cc.jpeg

I blanked the final word which online dictionaries suggest is offensive or derogatory. Used once upon a time by Mexicans in western movies to describe the cowboys from America.

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Some of my students were on a Peruvian field trip (amazing compared to when I was at school, we went to Worcester to see a lathe factory)  and they told me they did go to a PYO piggy restaurant. 

Now that's something that Bear could never, ever, EVER do.  EVER.

A Buddy at work went to an Italian Restaurant in Salisbury many moons ago that had a fish tank for such a purpose; after much convincing over many visits he eventually persuaded the Owner to let him have some sort of Eel thingy that was in there.

Only Eric the Eel had different ideas....

He escaped from the Waiters(?) fishing it out and went bombin' round the Restaurant floor like a Snake.  Women in the Restaurant were screaming, Waiters were chasing it, the Owner was doin' his nut.

The Chef came running out to see what the hell was going on, ran back into the kitchen, came running out with a Meat Cleaver and gave the Eel a whack in the middle of the Restaurant, then proudly took the remnants back to the kitchen to cook for buddy.

"How was it?"  asks Bear.

"Bloody awful" he says.

"All the women in the Restaurant were glaring daggers at me all night, some were in tears, the blokes weren't happy cos' I'd p1ssed off the wives & G/F's......"

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Perhaps they didn’t follow,the cooking suggestion from a leaflet at our local Royal Horticultural Society gardens.

IMG_0125.jpeg.c53b4507a4cd75cde84c549b0633b7cc.jpeg

Apart from the idea of eating a guinea pig being very unappealing, I have never seen the point of eating ridiculously hot (as in spicy hot) food and only being able to taste heat rather than real flavours. When I was stationed in Singapore there was an establishment called the Victory curry house that advertised that if any westerner could eat a whole one of its 'special' curries they could have one free on their next visit. I have seen guys with their faces streaming with sweat, gasping and gulping water as they tried to swallow the next forkful of what resembled molten lava and wondered why the hell they were doing it simply in the hope of being able to do it again for free. Needless to say, I never tried, despite being called a wuss or similar.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 12
  • Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Apart from the idea of eating a guinea pig being very unappealing, I have never seen the point of eating ridiculously hot (as in spicy hot) food and only being able to taste heat rather than real flavours. When I was stationed in Singapore there was an establishment called the Victory curry house that advertised that if any westerner could eat a whole one of its 'special' curries they could have one free on their next visit. I have seen guys with their faces streaming with sweat, gasping and gulping water as they tried to swallow the next forkful of what resembled molten lava and wondered why the hell they were doing it simply in the hope of being able to do it again for free. Needless to say, I never tried, despite being called a wuss or similar.

Dave

Lorna went to her art association meeting yesterday evening. Before she left she made me a nice salad (not niceoise). I applied some ranch dressing I found in the fridge. It said "spicy" on the bottle.

They weren't bluudy kidding! I had to have some yogurt to ease the pain.

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

I must admit I'm an enthusiast of hot and spicy food, but good spicy food still has flavours and it is not just heat. If all you get is burning heat the cook isn't great in my view, even mala dishes (which can be brutally hot) should have flavours. However there is a sort of competitive urge to demonstrate virility by being able to eat the hottest food known to human kind which is popular in a certain western make demographic (usually accompanied by copious quantities of beer). Funnily, in Asian cultures where spices are a staple of cooking attitudes tend to be very different and people are bemused (to put it mildly) by the obsession some of us have with aiming for food which simulates the inside of the sun.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Another problem with extremely spicy food, it burns at both ends! 😉

And as a result generated those immortal phrases:

"Ring Sting"

- and Bear's particular favourite (the phrase, not the effect):

"Ar5e like a Japanese Flag"

Bear has done the Curry thing (right up to the Phaal Challenge, several times - that one really does separate the Bears from the Boys) although Madras was my usual limit.  I rapidly came to the conclusion that it was all a bit pointless so Dupiaza is my general weapon of choice now.

• Like 7
  • Funny 1