Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I've always liked the idea of German bingo - acht und achtzig, zwei dicke damen!

Yes I enjoyed listening to those at a dual language bingo session on Lanzagrotty.

Jamie

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Family records often start in the late 1600s. The Roundheads destroyed many Church and Parish records between 1640-60 so before that date, research is difficult. 

Try Irish records before 1922 - though things are apparently getting better.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, pH said:

Try Irish records before 1922 - though things are apparently getting better.

During the 1960s my Mum bought quite a few Val Doonican records. 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

During the 1960s my Mum bought quite a few Val Doonican records. 

Val Doonican was post-1922 😛.

Edited by pH
Autocorrect!
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Rumour has it that hospitals think that cake is a Bad Thing.

Adrian

Perhaps it depends on the cake!  The one we took over to MiL’s on Sunday contained no flour. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

That must have been why Mum could get his records.

I think that's what's called accessing criminal records.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Val Donnican lived at Neatishead, that's had a second home, which he kept very quiet, I note that's not noted in his "official history" which suggests the family might still own it, he was often seen in the area. The place is roughly between the RAF radar site, and the RAF radio transmitter site which is a couple of miles further north.

So I'll be going close to it in an hour..

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, pH said:

Val Doonican was post-1922 😛.

His recordings might have been, but a lot of his material was pure Music Hall - I seem to recall one of his songs being about a character who "won a fortune, and bought himself a goat", and another about "Delaney's donkey". "Five Pound Notes" appear, generically denoting "a large sum of money, not normally seen".

Spike Milligan used similar images of Irish rural poverty in "Puckoon"; the two Border Inspectors find they cannot pay for their lodging using a Five Pound note, because no-one locally has seen one before and their landlady refuses it because "we don't take cheques" ... eventually they pay using Ten Shilling notes - which their host happily accepts, thinking "brown, THAT'S the colour of money" 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 14
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Fünf­und­fünfzig - Snakes Alive

🐍🐍

Shouldn’t that be zwei und zweizig?

Dave

(The autocorrect tried to change that to zero and xeroxing 🤣

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

25 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

His recordings might have been, but a lot of his material was pure Music Hall - I seem to recall one of his songs being about a character who "won a fortune, and bought himself a goat", and another about "Delaney's donkey". "Five Pound Notes" appear, generically denoting "a large sum of money, not normally seen".

Spike Milligan used similar images of Irish rural poverty in "Puckoon"; the two Border Inspectors find they cannot pay for their lodging using a Five Pound note, because no-one locally has seen one before and their landlady refuses it because "we don't take cheques" ... eventually they pay using Ten Shilling notes - which their host happily accepts, thinking "brown, THAT'S the colour of money" 

Paddy McGintys Goat.

It ate the note, and despite being stomach pumped, all they got was sixpence...

Its a long time since I've heard the song!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Had an enjoyable and relaxing day yesterday being driven around and forced to drink champagne and eat cake. Due to an effective security screen, no bears or hippos were seen during consumption.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

forced to drink champagne

You would have my father-in-law's sympathy - he doesn't rate the stuff, maintaining that other sparkling wines are better both in terms of price and quality. As an experimental psychologist with a keen interest in the fallibility of human judgement*, he maintains that the senses are tricked by the price and reputation.

*His own excepted, I would say, but remember I'm his son-in-law.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Had an enjoyable and relaxing day yesterday being driven around and forced to drink champagne and eat cake. Due to an effective security screen, no bears or hippos were seen during consumption.

Dave

Now I understand why the hospital was so keen for me to be in yesterday having my errant finger nail(s) removed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Now I understand why the hospital was so keen for me to be in yesterday having my errant finger nail(s) removed.

Look will you stop trying to get us to play the sympathy card.

When it all boils down, it's your own fault. You put your hoof/trotter/? - what precisely do hippos walk on, somewhere it shouldn't have been and your now paying the price.

So suck it up and be a big hippo.

Yours from Manutopea, still without a shed.

P.s - and no Hippos don't walk on water before you suggest it.

• Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

You would have my father-in-law's sympathy - he doesn't rate the stuff, maintaining that other sparkling wines are better both in terms of price and quality. As an experimental psychologist with a keen interest in the fallibility of human judgement*, he maintains that the senses are tricked by the price and reputation.

*His own excepted, I would say, but remember I'm his son-in-law.

I generally drink Spanish CAVA instead.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I normally drink Prosecco rather than Champagne but if someone presents me with a bottle of the latter it seems churlish not to get stuck in.

Dave

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1