Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I normally do not like watching myself perform (although I do have recordings of all my performances somewhere or other - taken so that I could improve my acting), but when I watched my last performance, my first thought was “what an evil creepy old guy”. it really was slightly schizophrenic watching on the video someone who looks like me, but was behaving and speaking absolutely nothing like me!

We've only your word for that!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

9 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Jazz:  Best to change the vowel for the next in line. Which is what Honda should have done!

Honda Jezz?

Driven by Jeremies and Mrs SM42 

We've just dined on Placki ziemniaki w sucrem. 

AKA potato pancakes with sugar 

An excellent choice of  meal if you are going out for a 12 hour shift in the fields or mines. 

No so much for spending the evening on TNM. 

Andy

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good afternoon folks,

In a similar vein to Happy Hippo, I once had a UFO experience after a rather long August Bank Holiday marinating my liver with Bass. It was quite dark when we were finally ejected from the Black Horse pub.

Walking along the main road home (I was on the pavement) I noticed a bright, white light in front of me. As it came closer I was convinced that it was aliens coming for me.

Only when it was right on top of me was it revealed to be the police helicopter.

The walk home after that encounter was a lot more sober 😂

Cheers, Nigel.

Funnily enough we had a persistent complainer in Pontefract who was always complaining about the yoof next door and in the street.  After we had found nothing she started writing to the Police Authority.  Then she started complaining about the Police Helicopter flying round her house most nights when we knew it hadn't been there. .  The Chairman of the Authority was a local councillor and we met at some event.  I mentioned the woman and he replied, take no notice she's a complete fruitcake.  We never heard anything more. 

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

If it's anything like the one I've just had I really don't want to be part of that elite ever again; it was 'orrible. Fortunately it is virtually gone because had I gone to the hospital for my operation next Tuesday whilst under its influence they would have refused me admission.

Dave

Beth is just recovering from a chest infection that has now gone on for two weeks.  She hopes that it won't be to ad when she sees the anaesthetist on Tuesday. Good luck with yours Dave. 

Here the spuds have been planted and I have rigged up the drip feed irrigation.  I also took the temperature of the pool water today. It's about 17 so I wilbe setting the pump and filter up soon. Algae grows above 16 degrees C. 

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, SM42 said:

...snip... Why do they always look a bit like us? ...snip...

Andy

Maybe because it is easier to cast humans to play their parts?

• Like 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Let's just say it's easier to cast humans to play aliens in some parts of the world, than in others.......

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10

15 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Whilst true, I wonder if the descriptions of those who claim a close encounter are influenced by Hollywood imagery or vice versa.  

Andy

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

23 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Whilst true, I wonder if the descriptions of those who claim a close encounter are influenced by Hollywood imagery or vice versa.  

Andy

Or influenced with something that can lit and then smoked?

• Funny 12

27 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Andy

If you consider that we don't get many reports of visits by goblins, leprechauns, fairies, demons and the like anymore then I just think that aliens have replaced them as the scapegoat.

Something you can't explain in Medieval times = Goblins or the Devil

Something you can't explain post 1900s = Aliens

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

The loudest and most persistent complainers are usually, to a greater or lesser extent, bonkers.  ISTR some years ago the Great Central Railway had a very vocal complainer about noise and smoke from trains "at all hours of the day and night".  Since they hadn't been running on many of the days she claimed and had never run overnight in their history, the eventual conclusion was obvious.

It must be something about the East Midlands area as I read of a motorcycle enthusiast who worked as a Noise Control Officer for Leicestershire Council.  He described how he genuinely got complaints from people who had moved into Castle Donington, about the noise from Donington Park motor racing circuit.  It was hard to understand how when checking out the property and seeking a quiet life, they'd missed the signs for this, the M1 and East Midlands Airport.

My son moved to a nearly-new house on the edge of Castle Donington last year. Go out in the garden on a summer weekend and for the first half hour or so the combination of the motorbikes and holiday jetliners is certainly jarring. After that it just stops registering and you just “screen it out”. I imagine HM the Queen used to feel much the same living at Windsor. 

And as the new houses are all being built with triple glazing, indoors you don’t hear a thing. 

But the point is, he knew exactly what he was buying and that he’d have no moral, let alone legal, right as a newcomer to complain. For someone who lived there decades though, it must be genuinely awful. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

I remember someone trying to get a blacksmiths closed down near Kings Lynn due to noise. The blacksmiths had been on that site for over 500 years....

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On Maundy Thursday, it took five of us the 22 verses of Psalm 22 to completely clear the altar and dias.  Yesterday I washed and ironed the linen.  Today it took two of us over three hours to put it back.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

30 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

My son moved to a nearly-new house on the edge of Castle Donington last year. Go out in the garden on a summer weekend and for the first half hour or so the combination of the motorbikes and holiday jetliners is certainly jarring. After that it just stops registering and you just “screen it out”. I imagine HM the Queen used to feel much the same living at Windsor. 

Never mind the noise. I spent a summer in the early 1970s (that is relevant) in Englefield Green, under flight paths round Heathrow. As some of the older jets climbed out after takeoff, a gentle drizzle of unburnt jet fuel would descend.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Here in the motherland we are a 15 minute walk from the gate behind the airport control tower ( if only the terminal was on this side)

Over the years it has become noticeable how much quieter airliners have become.

More a whoosh than a whining roar. 

Hardly hear them

Granted it's noisier if you are behind one but you can always tell when an older aeroplane is taking off. 

Normally it's an 0600 departure. 

Those fighter boys on the other side of the city on the other hand. 

Lots of noise and then suddenly they go strangley quiet

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, SM42 said:

Conspiracy theories often fail the which is more likely test. 

For me UFOs the jury is out.

Yes there are flying objects that can't be explained till they can.

Maybe it's a secret project, maybe it isn't.

Is there a cover up of real aliens. Unlikely.

Other life out there.? Possibly 

Is it likely that it has developed interstellar travel and can change the laws of physics

Unlikely.

Why do they always look a bit like us? 

Another example.

Did man land on the moon? 

Which is more likely? 

They did

Or

Thousands of people involved kept it secret all these years and more importantly the Russians are in on it and have kept the secret too. 

Any conspiracy can be put to the same test. 

The test is really courtesy of Scott Adams under the title " Great Lies of Management" but it has many other uses in life.

Andy

One person can keep a secret. Two people might be able to keep a secret. Ten or more people? Not a snowball's chance. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Those fighter boys on the other side of the city on the other hand. 

Lots of noise and then suddenly they go strangley quiet

I remember seeing the Environmental Case for Typhoon Operations at Coningsby, showing how while noisier than the Tornados they replaced, the Typhoons were less "disruptive" as accelerating faster, they were out of earshot much more quickly.  The local instructions still identified certain neighbours, overflying of whom was to be avoided; not local busybodies but rare pig breeders or stables etc.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

6 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I remember seeing the Environmental Case for Typhoon Operations at Coningsby, showing how while noisier than the Tornados they replaced, the Typhoons were less "disruptive" as accelerating faster, they were out of earshot much more quickly.  The local instructions still identified certain neighbours, overflying of whom was to be avoided; not local busybodies but rare pig breeders or stables etc.

Oh this is really loud and then it's as if they turned the engine off.

Maybe they have just turned the wick down a couple of notches

Andy

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I'm a little surprised my rather throw-away comment about music dislikes caused so much discussion!  

Hmm, jazz - a bit of Dave Brubeck is OK, but a little bit, couple of tracks only, but just can't do opera, sorry.  'cept maybe Fascinating Aida......especially the one about budget airlines.

Now, a bit of full on pipe organ, something with a lot of stops pulled, maybe played by Anna Lapwood.....oh yes. A bit rocky, or MOR or Glenn Miller...my tastes are wide, but no pickup trucks crashing into trains please, even if your mum is in jail.

• Like 8
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I started flying Phantoms out of Coningsby in 1970 and last flew a Tornado out of there in 2001. In all that time there was a certain stables owner who used to complain even though we had to avoid her premises at all costs.

In the late 1980s a housing development was built just across the road from the airfield, which had been an operational station since the 1930s. Within a week of the first people moving in there were noise complaints.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Oh this is really loud and then it's as if they turned the engine off.

Maybe they have just turned the wick down a couple of notches

Andy

Probably when they cut the reheat.

Dve

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

9 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Probably when they cut the reheat.

Dve

That did occur to me after I posted.  Thank you for confirming. 

An older aeroplane has just departed Lawice airport. 

Second one I've heard all day

Andy

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

The only "proper" music I don't get is Jazz.

I don't mean like swing or traditional, but all that improvised stuff. Not that I particularly like the normal Jazz either....

"There are three kinds of jazz.  Hot, cool and when does the music start"

Jill Swinburne in The Beiderbecke Connection.

Adrian

• Like 3
  • Funny 10