Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

33 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I'm a little surprised my rather throw-away comment about music dislikes caused so much discussion!  

Hmm, jazz - a bit of Dave Brubeck is OK, but a little bit, couple of tracks only, but just can't do opera, sorry.  'cept maybe Fascinating Aida......especially the one about budget airlines.

Now, a bit of full on pipe organ, something with a lot of stops pulled, maybe played by Anna Lapwood.....oh yes. A bit rocky, or MOR or Glenn Miller...my tastes are wide, but no pickup trucks crashing into trains please, even if your mum is in jail.

How about the FA one about activities in cars?  🤪

Pipe organs?  I like a fair range of stuff, but I lose interest as the nineteenth century progresses, and lot of modern stuff sounds like the performer is bludgeoning the manuals and tramping up and down the pedals!

One of the organ sounds I really do like is that obtained on old Spanish organs, their reed tones, especially the horizontal trumpet stops, have to be heard to be believed!

Edited by Hroth
Rephrasing...
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Hroth said:

How about the FA one about activities in cars?  🤪

Pipe organs?  I like a fair range of stuff, but I lose interest as the nineteenth century progresses, and most modern stuff sounds like the performer is bludgeoning the manuals and tramping up and down the pedals!

One of the organ sounds I really do like is that obtained on old Spanish organs, their reed tones, especially the horizontal trumpet stops, have to be heard to be believed!

Oh, Anna's rendition of Interstellar themes are quite something, no?  But normally, I like the usual top 10 organ stuff, Widor, Bach, Vierne etc. I cannot claim to be sophisticaked.

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

If you consider that we don't get many reports of visits by goblins, leprechauns, fairies, demons and the like anymore then I just think that aliens have replaced them as the scapegoat.

Something you can't explain in Medieval times = Goblins or the Devil

Something you can't explain post 1900s = Aliens

I've got it! Goblins, leprechauns, fairies, demons and the like are all aliens from distant galaxies. Now where did I put my tinfoil hat.

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, pH said:

Never mind the noise. I spent a summer in the early 1970s (that is relevant) in Englefield Green, under flight paths round Heathrow. As some of the older jets climbed out after takeoff, a gentle drizzle of unburnt jet fuel would descend.

In 1971 I lived for a few months at Hounslow West, right under one of the flightpath.  After a week or two I stopped noticing the noise except for my morning alarms which were a DC8 and a  VC10.  The latter could well have been flown bymy brother, then a first officer on VC10''s. He later bought a house at Englefield Green. 

Jamie

• Like 14

7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

The weather in North Hipposhire is quite reasonable and I am pretty much over the lurgy; unfortunately that means that I am out of excuses not to undertake a session of clearing blanket weed out of the pond. Apparently it was imported from Australia. I wish they'd kept it to themselves.

Dave

We'll if your guys don't read the fineprint in all those trade agreements, that's not our fault!

• Funny 13

Right

That's the clocks done ready for the morning. 

Probably confusd the hell out of Mrs SM42 when she gets home from church

Andy

• Like 7
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Right

That's the clocks done ready for the morning. 

Probably confusd the hell out of Mrs SM42 when she gets home from church

Andy

I have read about people who adjust their clocks early and then other family members arrive home and adjust them again. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 17

2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I have read about people who adjust their clocks early and then other family members arrive home and adjust them again. 

I'm not getting up specially to do it. 

She'll just think she's been out longer than she thought.

Andy

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 3

19 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Is she bringing them home.

Hope not. 

No room in the car for them, unless they are on  a CD

Andy

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

12 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

They should put a stop to that nonsense. Moved in last week and I haven't had a minutes sleep since!

Anyone know who I can complain to?

🔕

God.

• Agree 7
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I haven’t yet been able to use “che gelida manina” in conversation.  

but if I could find a word for "foot", I could use it every time SWMBO wants hers rubbed.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

There are very few flying objects that I can identify.  (I've said this before).

Canada geese and great blue herons.

The Goodyear Blimp and the Fokker triplane from the Brampton flying club. 

Connie Willis has a new book The Road to Roswell.  At the beginning she asks "If they could land anywhere on Earth, why did they pick Roswell?"

I think I have a very wide range of musical likes.  Excluded are anything with electric guitars and people who can't make the words understood.

• Like 4
  • Funny 10

The thing that gets me about UFOs is how small they are supposed to be.

Looking at it logically, the first thing you conclude is that they will be from outside our solar system and, given what we know about the closest planetary systems to us, they will be from quite a few solar systems away. Now there are two possible scenarios for their ships: one, they do have a Faster Than Light (FTL) drive; two, they don’t have a FTL drive and travel either in suspended animation or in so-called multi-generation ships.

In either case, you would need a pretty big ship to complete the journey from their home system to our solar system. A big ship would be required either because of the need to store supplies for any such journey or to have the facilities to process the raw materials harvested from various astroid belts they travel through. Okay, you could say that these small UFOs are to the mothership like a launch is to a battleship. But anything the size needed for interstellar travel would be very hard to miss as it entered the solar system (the skies are under constant observation by both amateurs and professionals). 

And why would they want to visit Earth anyway? We are definitely in a galactic backwater and any resources that might be of interest to an alien species (water, various minerals and other raw materials) are much more easily acquired (and in greater quantities) in the astroid belt than from Earth.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I think I have a very wide range of musical likes.  Excluded are .........and people who can't make the words understood.

That's Leona Lewis binned then.  Nice voice, just haven't a bluddy clue wot the song's about 😕

33 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

The thing that gets me about UFOs is how small they are supposed to be.

Looking at it logically, the first thing you conclude is that they will be from outside our solar system and, given what we know about the closest planetary systems to us, they will be from quite a few solar systems away. Now there are two possible scenarios for their ships: one, they do have a Faster Than Light (FTL) drive; two, they don’t have a FTL drive and travel either in suspended animation or in so-called multi-generation ships.

In either case, you would need a pretty big ship to complete the journey from their home system to our solar system. A big ship would be required either because of the need to store supplies for any such journey or to have the facilities to process the raw materials harvested from various astroid belts they travel through. Okay, you could say that these small UFOs are to the mothership like a launch is to a battleship. But anything the size needed for interstellar travel would be very hard to miss as it entered the solar system (the skies are under constant observation by both amateurs and professionals). 

And why would they want to visit Earth anyway? We are definitely in a galactic backwater and any resources that might be of interest to an alien species (water, various minerals and other raw materials) are much more easily acquired (and in greater quantities) in the astroid belt than from Earth.

Ah, but you're thinking what we'd need - which may well not be the same as they'd need.....

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Why visit Earth?

Well we have been looking for them for years. ( SETI?) 

Why? 

Natural curiosity  I suppose. 

We have also been advertising our presence for more the best part of 130 years. 

Those TV and radio signals get everywhere. 

You could argue that in a potentially hostile universe this is unwise. 

But at 25,000 light years to the nearest galaxy would it be possible to to visit?

The 4.25 light years to the nearest star maybe, but does it have a habitable planet? 

Therein lies the next thing that gets me going about looking for life elsewhere in the universe. 

Why do we assume that life anywhere else out there requires the same basic resources as life on earth. 

Why would it need water. It might do quite well on another chemical compound. 

The fact that we exist is pretty remarkable, the fact that we have gone beyond the life basics of eating and multiplying is pretty remarkable. 

Why would any other life form have to follow the same path?

7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

They should put a stop to that nonsense. Moved in last week and I haven't had a minutes sleep since!

Anyone know who I can complain to?

🔕

The police were there, I'm told, to control the traffic as they processed through streets singing. 

No point calling them it seems.

Anyway, in about an hour the in laws will arrive and Easter breakfast will start with zurek, ( sour soup) 

My stomach will conclude that I have finally taken leave of my senses. 

Andy

• Like 14

4 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I think I have a very wide range of musical likes.  Excluded are anything with electric guitars and people who can't make the words understood.

Pretty much wipes out anything post 1950 and a lot of opera.

Unless you mean those who deliberately make the words unintelligible or those that just don't have talent.

Andy

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Navy Helicopter pilot really do rock!

That was an accident waiting to happen......

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

As the great comic Bill Hicks put it:

"Why do aliens never land in populated cities but always in places like Fife, Alabama? Maybe these aren't hyper-intelligent beings, more like Hillbilly aliens - We've just had a long, trip!  Gonna lie back and widdle some..... maybe enter the Mothership in the tractor pull!"

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 12