Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I don't suppose you'd believe me if I claimed that I was tied down and had it forced down my throat? Thought not...

Dave

Of course I believe you.  It the sort of thing that happens whenever I go past a cake shop.

It's much easier if you don't put up too much resistance.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

Stop Press!

Just extracted this from the Daily Mail:

"Swingathon kicked off in fields near Grantham, Lincolnshire, on Friday night despite organisers claiming earlier this week it had been cancelled. Drone images (main and inset) showed hundreds of swingers starting to arrive at the four-day festival, while many tents and caravans appeared to have already been set up. An attendee said around 200 happy campers arrived and claimed 400 tickets had been sold in total for the £200-a-couple four-day frolic. The website boasts adult bouncy castles, wet t-shirt competitions and a mobile dungeon, and said the entire thing is 'Covid compliant'."

Do we know anyone whose gone over to the East of England who has claimed to have been tied up and....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Do we know anyone whose gone over to the East of England who has claimed to have been tied up and....

Er, well....when they mentioned unspeakable things whilst covered in LDC.....:blush:

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I don't suppose you'd believe me if I claimed that I was tied down and had it forced down my throat? Thought not...

Many years ago there was a US spoof spy tv series called Get Smart, a skit on The Man From Uncle. The star role, an anti-hero of the best sort, was Maxwell Smart. On one occasion he said to someone:

"Would you believe me if I told you I knew a man who lived for three weeks with a knife in his back?"

"No."

"Well, would you believe three minutes with a pin in his nose?" 

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

how big the bowl would be for 200 sets of car keys.

I'd still end up with my own keys no doubt. However I have no ixea what this is about......

Jamie

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Does this mean that a swingathon isn't about spending a lot of time on a child's playground installation?

Dave

PS, just finishing my second helping of LDC and not a bear or hippo in sight.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Currently at our friend's house in Oakham. For some strange reason I feel a bit fragile this morning; can't understand why. Anyway, I'd better tidy up a bit starting with this nearly empty bottle of Talisker. Ah..........

Dave

I knew an old aviator who would partake of a decoction known as an RFC Special to ameliiorate any such fragility.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Does this mean that a swingathon isn't about spending a lot of time on a child's playground installation?

I suspect adults spending an undue amount of time in such locations without attendant bambini might find themselves subject to surveillance. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

We are being visited today by family members who will require luncheon.

This not only involves copious amounts of savoury baking, but also excessive amounts of tidying up and cleaning.

Most of this is totally OTT, as they will never be going into the attic, but I am still half expecting a tasking to get the  vacuum cleaner and duster around the garden shed to get rid of the spider webs.

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

I don't like being the bearer of bad news but for those TNMs who haven't heard, one of the outstanding figures of our hobby, Owen Gibbon, died a few days ago. Owen, together with his brother John, produced a number of fine 7mm layouts that featured on the exhibition circuit and were instrumental in organising and running many exhibitions. Owen was also an even greater devotee of the red rugby shirt than HH and in his younger days was a player of some renown as well as being acquainted with the legendary Pontypool front row. He was always friendly and helpful to others in the hobby and was great fun to be with. He will be sorely missed.

RIP Owen.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

We survived the visit, although my eagle eyed son noticed a radiator valve in the cloakroom was leaking.

I suspect it  needs the gland nipping up.  I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to get the cap off as it's one of these shiny square topped ones that are fitted by plumbers to extract a bit more cash out of the customer.  It may very well have a push on cover, but it's not a job I intend to start as the light levels are dropping at the end of the day.

It's an early start tomorrow as I have to go for my annual ophthalmic check up.  Not my favourite trip out, but something that is a necessity for me.

I'll try and buy some comfort food on the way home, with any luck a nice cake.

It's still raining, although this afternoon it did rail down as well!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

Eye checks completed

The Hippodrome is now bathed in that rare commodity in these parts:  Sunshine!

Nyda is going out  to an acupuncture appointment, so I will drift out either to the garage or the workshop.

I have things to do, so probably the garage will win out as that is where the immediate action work is stored.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, pH said:

Pretty spectacular failure here:

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/775932/

:D

4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

A Dash-8 and Rock Island don't quite fit! Anachronistic at best!

2 hours ago, pH said:

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 30/06/2021 at 22:31, Stubby47 said:

A quick message to work to explain, and 440 odd miles and 8 1/2 hours driving and he's back home instead.

As he was planning a flying visit this weekend anyway (the 47 in my username is not a random number...) we have him home for 10 days instead.

He's also heard he will be joining one of the Devonport based Class 23s, so the distance to home will significantly decrease.

Update on deployment.

No. 2 son was expected to go back to Fareham on Sunday, to then start 1 week of Basic Sea Course and 1 week of small arms training, to be followed by his Phase 2 POP on 23rd July.

We had been looking forward to going to the POP, as the Phase 1 had to be done online.

He was informed this morning that he would no longer be doing his Sea Course or small arms training, or have a POP, that he had to be back in Fareham on the 11th and he would be leaving HMS Colllingwood on the 12th, either to go directly to HMS Drake (Devonport), or come home.

So as he has plenty of kit, and had been planning to come home at least once with some of it before finishing, it now means I need to take him back, stay overnight and then return on the 12th, dropping him at Drake if necessary.

And what's happening on the 11th....?  Only the Euros final !

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Update on deployment.

No. 2 son was expected to go back to Fareham on Sunday, to then start 1 week of Basic Sea Course and 1 week of small arms training, to be followed by his Phase 2 POP on 23rd July.

We had been looking forward to going to the POP, as the Phase 1 had to be done online.

He was informed this morning that he would no longer be doing his Sea Course or small arms training, or have a POP, that he had to be back in Fareham on the 11th and he would be leaving HMS Colllingwood on the 12th, either to go directly to HMS Drake (Devonport), or come home.

So as he has plenty of kit, and had been planning to come home at least once with some of it before finishing, it now means I need to take him back, stay overnight and then return on the 12th, dropping him at Drake if necessary.

And what's happening on the 11th....?  Only the Euros final !

One wonders how the Royal Navy ever manage to put a ship to sea when they can't even sort out the shore based crew training.

On a forces note, I am reliably informed that the RAF are going to re start flying on exercises and detachments now the hotel and hospitality business is opening up again.

Of course the Army was not much better:  Something delayed by 24/48/72/96 hours?  Drop your kit off in your room and get back here in 10 dressed for a 3/5/8/10 mile run.

• Like 6
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Of the 600 or so Victory Squadron at Collingwood, who are Phase 2 trainees in all roles, 30 are isolating with positive Covid tests and 200 are isolating due to close contact. 

The virus has decimated some classes, with some recruits turning up to start and being sent straight home again. We chose to fetch our lad as he would be 1 less there and better looked after here. This latest change, we think, is due to a need to deploy personnel on board ASAP, as of the original 2 to go to Devenport there are now 4 ( of his class of 9).

I don't envy the service trying to manage the whole situation, with both increased recruitment and the pandemic.

As you said, you just need to jump when told, this is the life he's chosen ( and is quite happy to be in).

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12