Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Is it in fact the case that your average hippo is sufficiently massive that, from its relativistic reference frame, it perceives the Earth as revolving around it?

Whilst the sun shines from it's ample posterior...........

Unlike East Devon, where the sun is somewhat lacking this morning.

I have been informed that we are visiting some gardens today.

I think the highlight will be passing the remains of Seaton Junction en route.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Is it in fact the case that your average hippo is sufficiently massive that, from its relativistic reference frame, it perceives the Earth as revolving around it?

I've known a number of humans, of various shapes and sizes, who had the same conviction.........

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

l this talk of singles inspired me to wander over to the shed and here is the evidence of the most elegant ones.

P9051318.JPG.78d8935226f7902bc36c6d8b7a762405.JPG

I rest my case my lud. 

P9051319.JPG.6b7b935da5469241d2d23ed966620b9d.JPG

Built and painted by the late Tony Bond from a Janick Kit. 3lbs of lead and two motors in the tender.

Not the best of photos.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

All I did was post about a hippo falling off a cliff and now we're on to relativity and global warming. What on earth would happen if someone was incautious enough to mention black holes and time dilation in the vicinity of extremely large masses......

Oops.

Dave

Suspect an overdose of Scottish or Welsh falling down water.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Does the mention of Cherenkov radiation suggest that hippos can travel faster than light and glow blue under water?

As a moving object accelerates closer to the speed of light, so its mass increases; at the speed of light it would become infinitely massive. This would suggest that hippos are already moving at near to the speed of light. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

25 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

As a moving object accelerates closer to the speed of light, so its mass increases; at the speed of light it would become infinitely massive. This would suggest that hippos are already moving at near to the speed of light. 

So in fact if the hippo is moving at the speed of light he isn't actually there because by the time he is perceived he has in fact moved. I think I may have solved how he is able to raid cake stores and not actually be seen.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

So in fact if the hippo is moving at the speed of light he isn't actually there because by the time he is perceived he has in fact moved. I think I may have solved how he is able to raid cake stores and not actually be seen.

The Hippo isn't related to Schroedingers cat by any chance, is it.

Jamie

• Funny 7

1 minute ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Wouldn't have thought so as the act of  seeing a hippo doesn't have an impact on him and as we have already ascertained that he isn't actually there but somewhere else...... Hmm I suppose it also depends where you stand.

Might need to give this some thought. Carry on without me for the time being. I'll be back- that sounds familiar...

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

I suppose Schrödinger imagined if he had postulated a hippo in a box it would detract from the point of his thought experiment. Easier to imagine a cat in a box. Cats seem to like sitting in boxes anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, polybear said:

All the above made Bear think that Hippos could be THE answer to Global Warming - all we need to do is put the word out that FREE cake would always be available, but only in the middle of the night at one specific location on Earth.  Net result?  (1) Mass migration of Hippos  (2) World moves towards Hippos (who are on the side furthest away from the Sun) - so the World effectively moves away from the Sun and hence drops the temperature.  Cunning, eh?

At that point in the planning (and bearing in mind it's only 07:14 on a Sunday morning) Bear's brain began to hurt; visions of a World Cake Shortage didn't help and eventually I thought that such a plan just wasn't worth the cost.  Another great idea crashes n' burns.  Oh well.

You would be very pleased to know that I have found your bolt hole in Colyton.

Bear House, and it is next door to the bakery and cake shop.

A very cunning ploy.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I passed Seaton Junction today .

What a sad sight. Something I couldn't bring myself to photograph.

Still on the branch that ran from the junction to Seaton, we will be travelling over the southern half of the trackbed on the electric tramway. The prom and harbour at Seaton  will be apleasant stroll especially if followed by fish and chips from Frydays (as recommended by Mike the Stationmaster).

Pecorama has been booked for Tuesday.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

l this talk of singles inspired me to wander over to the shed and here is the evidence of the most elegant ones.

P9051318.JPG.bc8a398ffb885051a8ea04aa0b540ff0.JPG

I rest my case my lud. 

P9051319.JPG.6b137f96f5591ecb2429f466be02b656.JPG

Built and painted by the late Tony Bond from a Janick Kit. 3lbs of lead and two motors in the tender.

Not the best of photos.

Jamie

A lovely model Jamie, does it have working/non working inside motion?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

A lovely model Jamie, does it have working/non working inside motion?

Yes it does have working motion. However  the loco is not powered it just acts as an extra setbofvpick ups for the tender. On a Sunday afternoon at some shows the tender has been seen to run round pulling a rake of cletestories. The outer two wheelsets are powered.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Nah, tried that one.  The speed differential between a Hippo (or Bear) travelling a light speed snatching a stationary cake was sufficient to rip a paw off.  Not nice.  Keep guessing....

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, polybear said:

Nah, tried that one.  The speed differential between a Hippo (or Bear) travelling a light speed snatching a stationary cake was sufficient to rip a paw off.  Not nice.  Keep guessing....

I just open my mouth....

Dave mentioned something about a black hole!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I suppose Schrödinger imagined if he had postulated a hippo in a box it would detract from the point of his thought experiment. Easier to imagine a cat in a box. Cats seem to like sitting in boxes anyway. 

Yes but the difficulty arises when you try to put a cat in a box. That's why it remains a thought experiment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

P9051318.JPG.bc8a398ffb885051a8ea04aa0b540ff0.JPG

I rest my case my lud. 

P9051319.JPG.6b137f96f5591ecb2429f466be02b656.JPG

Not the best of photos.

Jamie

Lovely model Jamie. Like I Said a few weeks ago i knew Tony Bond but never realised he was a modeller

• Like 6

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Argh yes you failed to take into account relativity. You see as all objects are moving relative to were you are and bare in mind your moving at the speed of light you need to allow for the fact that the cake isn't where you thought it was. In deed you need to think where it might be but allow for relativity as it might be there when you are then. Understood.

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Just to get back to a railway modelling item (by way of a complete change.....), my own Midland Single also has no motive power in the locomotive as I couldn't see how to get a power unit in as well as working inside motion. Since it is a Princess of Wales Class, however, it has a bogie 'water cart' tender so the drive is via two motor bogies and was christened by the late John Horton as 'the fastest tram in the west'. Also like Jamie's model, the tender has been despatched by some wag at an exhibition pulling a train by itself.

Dave

• Like 8