Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

Maps have been consulted and after shooting some holes on some bits of paper, I shall being heading west for an explore of various railway lines 

Hopefully I will find a fewxtraims and maybe an old station or two 

Andy

• Like 12

Well that was fun

I chose a couple of classics 

15 rounds through an M16 and 5 through a Mauser.

Could only find 13 holes from the first and 4 from the second

Lord knows where the missing rounds went compared to target 

Short cake break and then train watching 

Andy

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Well that was fun

Andy

You may very well have put some of the rounds through the same  hole.

Although a lot different to shooting full bore, when you are  target shooting with a pcp air rifle, it is not unusual to put pellet on pellet.

As a matter of interest, where which type of Mauser were you firing?

My brother in law has a  bolt action 7.92mm Mauser Kar98k of WWII vintage which fires extremely tight groups.

As an aside both the SMLE No 4 (.303" calibre) and the aforementioned Mauser, were both considered good enough to be marksman/sniper rifles.

Both were also still considered good enough rifles to be rechambered and rebarrelled in 7.62mm (NATO standard).

However, although the SMLE was replaced in British service  by the Accuracy International  L96A1 and then the AA L115, the Mauser bolt action chassis has continued to be used for highly accurate rifles, such as the SP 66, which is used by the Israelis.

• Informative/Useful 9

On 15/08/2022 at 23:43, newbryford said:

I shall have to find my "Fifty Sheds of Grey" quotes book........

I found this on my bookshelf:

The students of The Way, under the instruction of the Sensei prepare to enter the dojo by going through a number of rituals that are designed to clear the mind in preparation for time in the dojo. It must also be noted that a dojo can be anywhere, as the grandmasters of this esoteric art say a <dojo is what the Sensei says the dojo is>

Dressed in the traditional student’s garb of sensible shoes, clean pressed jeans and a politely worded T-shirt, after paying their respects to the Gods of the Shed through the burning of incense, the chanting of mantras and the offering of cake, the students will enter the dojo behind the Sensei.

Whilst those not schooled in The Way of The Shed may think this is superstitious nonsense, many a student of The Way has lost fingers (or worse) by not paying proper veneration to the Gods of the Shed. Even as recently as last month, has a student of The Way failed to provide proper observance of the rituals and has suffered a finger loss as a result.

A Westerner’s Introduction to The Way of the Shed by Sensei iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I took a large offering to the Gods of the recycling centre this morning..

I obviouslly didn't take enough as the finger that is no longer there was aching somewhat.  I suspect it was caused by the apparent cold after our long hot spell.

I'll go and have another close look at my pile of stuff that might be useful sometime in the next century🤣!

I have a man coming to see me about new garage doors tomorrow morning, and then another visiting on Saturday to see about putting in the base of the summer house.

This is good news espcially after spending a long time trying to get people to come and do things without success,  now everyone seems to be available once more.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Royal Mail, aka Fail, managed to deliver, finally, 24hrs late on a next day service.  Grump.

But......the parcel contained....oooh!

1801352111_20220817_1552111.jpg.445479f53f9d6ff2506842b980d78bf4.jpg

Not sure about those Triang plunger Princess pickups though.  (You need to be a certain age for that one).

This is a beut. Proper photos tomorrow.

PS - Dave, it's not even green!

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 2

4 hours ago, SM42 said:

Well that was fun

Andy

When we used to use the range at RAF Finningley we were warned that with the cadet version of the S.A. 80 if you got the angle of shot wrong the round would go over the top of the butts and take out a granny on Bawtry High street 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Royal Mail, aka Fail, managed to deliver, finally, 24hrs late on a next day service.  Grump.

But......the parcel contained....oooh!

1801352111_20220817_1552111.jpg.445479f53f9d6ff2506842b980d78bf4.jpg

Not sure about those Triang plunger Princess pickups though.  (You need to be a certain age for that one).

This is a beut. Proper photos tomorrow.

PS - Dave, it's not even green!

None of my pannier tanks are green, nore is the 14xx.

Of course the 41xx lets the side down, as she is green albeit it BR livery.

Having seen this little gem, I am tending towards the green of envy.

I am a great fan of the 'early' taller safety valve covers on certain GWR/BR(W) locos.

Fortunately I have a glass of wine to hand into which I can hide my dribbling.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

None of my pannier tanks are green, nore is the 14xx.

Of course the 41xx lets the side down, as she is green albeit it BR livery.

Having seen this little gem, I am tending towards the green of envy.

I am a great fan of the 'early' taller safety valve covers on certain GWR/BR(W) locos.

Fortunately I have a glass of wine to hand into which I can hide my dribbling.

They really have gone to town on these, there's a discussion elsewhere about the little detail differences, cab rainstrips, safety valve covers, spectacle plate 'portholes' and so on.

it's also apparently made of depleted uranium, it is very heavy, being all metal of course.  Very pleased with it.

As discussed previously it should really be in late green, but a: its my forest, b: I like early crest black!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

They really have gone to town on these, there's a discussion elsewhere about the little detail differences, cab rainstrips, safety valve covers, spectacle plate 'portholes' and so on.

it's also apparently made of depleted uranium, it is very heavy, being all metal of course.  Very pleased with it.

As discussed previously it should really be in late green, but a: its my forest, b: I like early crest black!

I presume you'll also be in the market for it's 'big sister' the 4575 class when it appears?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I presume you'll also be in the market for it's 'big sister' the 4575 class when it appears?

No, one's enough.  Not seen a photo of a '75 up the Forest though?

A 3MT may appear in due course, less said about that the better at the moment!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

No, one's enough.  Not seen a photo of a '75 up the Forest though?

A 3MT may appear in due course, less said about that the better at the moment!

The 4575 might have made a brief appearance at the north end on the Gloucester to Hereford line (connecting to the FoD at Lydbrook Junction) but I'd apply Rule 1.  However the DFR does have 5541 on their books if that helps🤣.  The  3MT may have skirted past Lydney on the Gloucester to Newport line, but again Rule 1 could apply.

Since I'm trying to buy as much of friend Gordon's stuff when he decided to give up on the 7 mm front, I am fully committed to spending all my modelling tokens without any other manufacturer causing problems by making stuff I really desire.  If a 56/66xx suddenly appeared on the market, I'd be bankrupt but with a very big smile on my face.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

You may very well have put some of the rounds through the same  hole.

As a matter of interest, where which type of Mauser were you firing?

My brother in law has a  bolt action 7.92mm Mauser Kar98k of WWII vintage which fires extremely tight groups.

As an aside both the SMLE No 4 (.303" calibre) and the aforementioned Mauser, were both considered good enough to be marksman/sniper rifles

Unlikely to have hit the same hole. 

Target was at 25m. 🧐

36cm target for the M16 and 26cm for the Mauser 

I think I may have fired a couple of warning shots. 

One ended up in the target diagonally opposite on the target sheet ( bottom left, rather than top right)

The M16 true to form jammed with the first round. Luckily no-one was firing back

The Mauser was a 98k, 7.92mm. 

I was surprised at how heavy it was, or more likely front heavy. 

I suppose balance didn't matter too much when churning 'em out as quick as possible. 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

When we used to use the range at RAF Finningley we were warned that with the cadet version of the S.A. 80 if you got the angle of shot wrong the round would go over the top of the butts and take out a granny on Bawtry High street 

We live on the opposite side of the heath from Bisley Ranges, so nearly two miles away.  Some years before my wife worked there, a child at the infant school came up to a teacher at play time saying she didn't feel well and her leg hurt.  They checked her leg and found what looked very much like a bullet lodged in the skin. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Unlikely to have hit the same hole. 

Target was at 25m. 🧐

36cm target for the M16 and 26cm for the Mauser 

I think I may have fired a couple of warning shots. 

One ended up in the target diagonally opposite on the target sheet ( bottom left, rather than top right)

The M16 true to form jammed with the first round. Luckily no-one was firing back

The Mauser was a 98k, 7.92mm. 

I was surprised at how heavy it was, or more likely front heavy. 

I suppose balance didn't matter too much when churning 'em out as quick as possible. 

Andy

The main cause of a stoppage with the first round of a magazine fed rifle such as an M16/SLR is not seating the rounds properly against the back of the magazine housing.  Logically, the first 15 or so are placed in the magazine properly, but tired fingers then fail to get it right so the stoppages occur in reverse order:  That is the last (poorly fitted) rounds loaded are coming out first.  Hence the stoppage.

There are other reasons like incorrect gas port settings:  You are supposed to initially set to 'factory' recommendation and then adjust accordingly.  I found with the SLR that setting to '3' as recommended used to be rather suspect, so we ended up just accepting the higher recoil and opting for gas mark 9.  Never got a stoppage off that one, only a bruised shoulder when firing wearing just a Tee shirt.

Fore end weight was one of the reasons that many modern infantry weapons are of the bullpup configuration:  Magazine behind the trigger, which brings the main mass of the gun between the supporting arm on the forestock and the shoulder.  However, they are not long rifles and their accuracy diminishes rapidly after about 300 metres.  

When we switched from SLR to SA80, we never saw an initial jump in improved accuracy by soldiers who used the new rifles.  Even though they (the rifles) had better balance and lower recoil!

As with all things it only came with familiarity with the new system and loads of practice.  Firing a rifle once or twice a year for your classification requirements which is what happens with a lot of support arms does not make you a good shot. The meagre allocation the MoD sees fit to issue such units  for training purposes did not improve matters.

If ever there was an example of a rifle system that was bungled up by  the procurement/project/equipment manager fiasco that the MoD perpetuates to this day, the SA80 was the prime example.

I'm sure Dave has equally gruesome stories about the inability of the same MoD system to sort out RAF airframes and supporting assets.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

As I had to load my own magazine, (they make you work for it) I suspect it was me. .

Surprised some of the others didn't jam up

I'm only used to putting two in at a time on the clay ground

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, SM42 said:

As I had to load my own magazine, (they make you work for it) I suspect it was me. .

Surprised some of the others didn't jam up

I'm only used to putting two in at a time on the clay ground

Andy

You will have to come up to Telfland and do some shooting off a bench with an air rifle or two.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

You will have to come up to Telfland and do some shooting off a bench with an air rifle or two.

I may well take you up on that offer.

Makes a change to use something precise rather than chuck a dustbin lid at a low flying ashtray

Andy

• Like 8

Back to railways.

A couple of pics from today's adventures. I started looking for old railway lines and their remains .

First a signal gantry on the approach to Miedzychod Station

20220817_160235.jpg.a9b26b5eee6aee504de8b26722315195.jpg

And the station building 

20220817_160746.jpg.ef15dbf7fd9b8c21327cf31c090cfbb4.jpg

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'm sure Dave has equally gruesome stories about the inability of the same MoD system to sort out RAF airframes and supporting assets.

There was the Airwork(?) fiasco regarding maintenance of Tornado aircraft.  IIRC (it was a long time ago) the MoD approached various companies regarding a deep maintenance/inspection activity; BAe (who made the things in the first place) put in a bluddy great quote (hey, what a surprise.....) but have all the necessary to be able to do the job.

The MoD awarded the contract to Airwork instead, who were far cheaper.....

Fast Forward to an aircraft that had undergone the maintenance activity and had been returned to the RAF.  The story I heard was that a RAF Airframe Technician was inspecting the aircraft and thought "f.hell, this doesn't look right..." so he flagged it up the chain.  As I heard it it seems that Airwork had been ripping rivets out of wing panels etc. using the wrong tooling and had done no end of damage.  So they went and checked other aircraft that had gone thru' the same process - and all were damaged as well.  It must've been 20+ years ago now, and the repair cost then was well into the £M.

Of course a certain Bear may be talkin' complete bollards and Dave will come along shortly to put him straight....

As regards guns n' things, many moons ago a certain Bear spent an interesting day with the Exeter TA who were conducting a big "Open Day" kinda activity to encourage local businesses to support any employee that was a TA member.  I actually volunteered to attend cos' (a) it meant a couple of nights away in a Hotel, and (b) a Heli flight was  mentioned.  As it was first come, first served - and Bear phoned the Big Bosses' Secretary first - I got the place.

As a part of this we got to play on a simulated rifle range - SA80's hooked up to a computer thingy and you'd shoot targets on a bluddy great Cinema Screen.  None of those nasty, scary bangs or dangerruss bullets flying around...

Well the TA Pongo's clocked that Bear was rather good at killin' the little sh1tes that were poppin' up all over the screen, so they egged me on to go for the top score (there were something like 100 or so attendees on the open day).  I didn't think it very SportsBearlike to keep shootin' the same sh1te over and over again, even though he was already dead, but it seems the computer wasn't that clever and scored each hit accordingly.

Well I got the Gold coloured Medal - and whilst being presented with it at the end of the day the General (or whatever he was) asked what Bear's secret was to such a high score.  I simply replied:

"Easy, I Imagined they all worked n HR".

The distinct lack of even the tiniest smile on Custer's Moosh made me suspect that was his particular field of operations....

Oops.

🤣🤣

Edited by polybear
  • Funny 17