Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

I went,  I entered 

I entered a second card. 

Strange thing about competition shooting is that you can have as many goes as you want to pay for.

The rules had changed from that advertised. 

Still a 15m target, but only 10 rounds

I ended tp using a gun fitted with a laser type sight that I couldn't get on with at all. 

Dot wobbling about on the target, round no where near where the dot was

I suspect I was putting in some unwanted downward and right movement on firing 

Anyway

80 / 100 first go, disappointing 37 on second.

I don't think I will win, which is probably not so bad as I don't know what I would do with the pistol that was first prize.

To cheer myself up went for an hour watching trains.  

I have also received a weather warning text for this evening suggesting I should secure my belongings. 

I've locked the trains away just in case

Andy

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Despite feeling  a bit tired and stiff, I did struggle down to the field and put out a spinner target at around 10 metres and a resettable target out at approximately 30 metres.  Couldn't find my long tape measure (It had been loaned to the Rangers and on it's return put somewhere safe!) so everything was paced out.

After my long lay off, I was pleasantly surprised at how well I was shooting.

The HW100 rifle did need a little bit of adjustment to its sights, but it was fine at both targets:  The 'zero' and subsequent ballistic curve meant that you put the cross hairs onto the centre of the target so no visual adjustment was needed. With a bipod to support the front end, it was a case of point, settle and shoot; then the target either fell over or popped back up depending on the point in the sequence!

The BSA Ultra carbine, I'd re zeroed at longer range last Easter, so the ballistic curve was somewhat different.  Certainly at 10 metres I was shooting below the centre of the target in order to achieve any hits (Holding under.)

I then moved the resettable target out closer to 40 metres and then had to use hold over (aiming above the target centre) to register hits.

Of coure as the rifles had both been zeroed for differing ranges, the hold over points were slightly different, which made things a bit more exciting.

As you can see, the good old Army poncho is still getting used🤣20220819_154117.jpg.3ec712fe1459100e38002e0f1d7c1679.jpg

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

There are some very expensive sports hobbies and pastimes out there which can put the money we spend on modelrailways firmly into the small change bracket.

Buying and then entering a single handed dinghy into class competition where you are probably racing once or twice a month at locations around the UK will set you back easily upwards of £15K.

The shooting fraternity will  buy a new rifle, such as a Steyr SSG 08 for around £5600  and then spend a minimum of about £1600 for a Schmidt and Bender scope.  They will certainly look the part on the firing point:  Whether they really need to spend that sort of money when a cheaper combo would undoubtedly do just as well over the ranges they are firing is a pointless question.  They must have x, y or z because it will make them a better shot, when in truth the only thing that will make them a better shot is practice.

I'm sure there are many other examples such as golf or skiing, and don't even attempt to start on the donkey walloping brigade.

Some years back we knew a family whose children were recieving free school meals. Despite their hardship it was somewhat enlightening to see the family out in their (new) Mercedes estate and their ability to run a small fleet of horses and a  pony for each of the children.

Reminds me of a bloke we used to see up Airedale the Scratchcard King.

The kids school uniforms were filthy and tatty he used to moan he had no money. Everyday he used to come out of the shop at the Triangle with a fist full of Scratchcards. You could follow him down Fryston Road picking them up after he had chucked them

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Reminds me of a bloke we used to see up Airedale the Scratchcard King.

The kids school uniforms were filthy and tatty he used to moan he had no money. Everyday he used to come out of the shop at the Triangle with a fist full of Scratchcards. You could follow him down Fryston Road picking them up after he had chucked them

Very sad but there is a portion of those hardest-up who live like that, you really pity their children both "going without" and being taught those priorities.

For expensive hobbies, cycling, once a utility transport and leisure activity has now replaced golf as the hobby of middle-class men with money to burn.  Like golf, they can always excuse their inability to match a top level professional's performance on not having the latest expensive gadget.  It's a combination of collecting/having the latest thing and a gambler's mindest; "This time, it really will make a difference". 

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

After my long lay off, I was pleasantly surprised at how well I was shooting.

I have never ‘fired’ anything more powerful than a small water pistol and (potato pellet) firing ‘spud gun’. It looks tempting but with my eyesight it is probably best that I don’t start now.

• Like 4
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Here are some pics from my brief visit to one of my favourite spots at Paledzie Station.  

If you want old school PKP freight, probably not the best place to go as it is on a main  route to Germany

Cargounit E186 with a train of eastbound tanks pulls in to let passenger traffic pass

20220819_143252.jpg.e93bf071c3b64bc5394d8472cdb2d446.jpg

LTE 186 trundles though west bound with a van train. I'm pretty sure I saw this train going east on Wednesday

20220819_144822.jpg.4bf4d2c11c60a6b6c90f99cd297d88c3.jpg

A pair of EN76s call at the station

20220819_150120.jpg.f3086e8ad85870313a1a8d41daad576b.jpg

And finally, there is an aggregates terminal next to the station, but largely screened by trees and bushes. 

When I arrived I thought i could hear a distinctive ying ying ying sound over the noise of the grab loader but couldn't see much

A little later my suspicions were confirmed when the train being loaded was moved up and this appeared through the shrubbery

20220819_152120.jpg.f23da29f15257ac16418e60f6a2c6076.jpg

Andy

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Tony_S said:

National Trust do some quite nice cakes. At one time they were all local but I think they have the same cakes everywhere now. 

After the tragic case where that poor girl had an allergic reaction and died after eating a sandwich, Natasha’s law was introduced whereby prepackaged food must display a complete list of ingredients.  The Trust brought many foods that had previously been prepared locally, prepackaged or otherwise,  to central production to more easily comply. Post pandemic issues also means it is easier to do  it that way.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Some years back we knew a family whose children were receiving free school meals. Despite their hardship it was somewhat enlightening to see the family out in their (new) Mercedes estate and their ability to run a small fleet of horses and a  pony for each of the children.

A friend of Bear's is a Company Director; he does alright (they're on Hols in Florida at the moment, and also go skiing) but isn't what you'd call "minted" (3-bed semi in Sandy, Beds).  He doesn't claim Child Benefit as he doesn't need to, even though he's entitled.  Big Tick.

3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

That reminds me of the saying three cars on the drive but no food in the fridge.

Momma Bear used to work in the village greengrocer many moons ago;  it was quite eye-opening just how many of the "well-off" housewives suddenly possessed a rabbit/guinea pig etc. at the end of every month cos' they'd ask for one of the cheapo lettuce that were past their best and labelled for rabbits etc. at a price to match.  At the same time they also purchased a couple of tomatoes, a cucumber etc.  It was glaringly obvious they were having salad for lunch.....

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4

My favourite NT visit was to Lord Nutfield's mansion, Nuffield House

One of the volunteers summed it up as " World's richest man buys 3 bedroom house"

Probably why he was the World's richest man. 

I did once experience what I thought was a very hard currant in a scone at an NT place once. 

Turned out to be a piece of glass. 

Luckily no damage done, but when we complained about it, pointing out it may not be an isolated piece, they just shrugged and carried on as if it was normal.

Put me off eating in the cafes for good.

Andy

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I did once experience what I thought was a very hard currant in a scone at an NT place once. 

Turned out to be a piece of glass. 

Luckily no damage done, but when we complained about it, pointing out it may not be an isolated piece, they just shrugged and carried on as if it was normal.

Put me off eating in the cafes for good.

Andy

Bear has a sneaky feeling that an Egg Mayo Roll purchased from the "shop" at the House of Fun one lunchtime contained something it shouldn't have - as a result it busted a goober in a rather awkward manner which ultimately resulted in a £2K bill for a dental implant.  Very, very big Turdycurses.

• Friendly/supportive 13

Ah, skiing! Can be pretty spendy but due to my considerable number of solar circuits I get a "Super Senior" unlimited season pass at a nice mountain on the Idaho/Montana border about an hour and a bit away. Costs me about $200.

Speaking of solar circuits, next week will be the 40th anniversary of our arrival in the US. It's not too hard to remember the date because we flew from Prestwick on our tenth wedding anniversary.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Here are some pics from my brief visit to one of my favourite spots at Paledzie Station.  

If you want old school PKP freight, probably not the best place to go as it is on a main  route to Germany

Cargounit E186 with a train of eastbound tanks pulls in to let passenger traffic pass

20220819_143252.jpg.e93bf071c3b64bc5394d8472cdb2d446.jpg

LTE 186 trundles though west bound with a van train. I'm pretty sure I saw this train going east on Wednesday

20220819_144822.jpg.4bf4d2c11c60a6b6c90f99cd297d88c3.jpg

A pair of EN76s call at the station

20220819_150120.jpg.f3086e8ad85870313a1a8d41daad576b.jpg

And finally, there is an aggregates terminal next to the station, but largely screened by trees and bushes. 

When I arrived I thought i could hear a distinctive ying ying ying sound over the noise of the grab loader but couldn't see much

A little later my suspicions were confirmed when the train being loaded was moved up and this appeared through the shrubbery

20220819_152120.jpg.f23da29f15257ac16418e60f6a2c6076.jpg

Andy

When i first saw the caption to the photo of Tanks heading East I was expecting those with tracks and a big gun on them

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I think most hobbies are becoming pretty spendy. 

Whatever you do in your spare time, there can't be much that hasn't gone up in price of late. 

However I would describe any of the following as very speedy. 

Golf, football ( watching not playing)  fishing  shooting ( any discipline) sailing, skiing, cycling, modelling ( railway and plastic) 

Essentially anything that involves  main stream sport, a slightly off beat sport or anything that requires regular purchase of consumables or transport to venues.

Watching TV might be the cheapest, but it depends on choice of snack and viewing provider.

I'm thinking of taking up staring at the ceiling.

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'm only allowed to shoot with one of these.

Nikon.JPG.67e6e6cbdcfcf420b34e0c7d7cda282d.JPG

The odd looking lens isn't a lens at all. It's just an adapter tube that allows the camera to plug into into telescopes. I bought the camera used from "the bay" just for the digital SLR body but it came with a reasonable auto-focus lens.

Unfortunately conditions for astro-photography won't be good for the next few nights so I'll have to wait to test it.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I hooked into the astronomy craze of the mid eighties. Part of the Halley's Comet effect. 

Still got the mid priced refracting telescope, but not much use in my light polluted neighbourhood, the neighbours might get twitchy  and there may be some blue flashing light pollution as a result. 

I occasionally use the binoculars to look at some of the planets or the moon, but the lot of what I taught myself in those heady days has been long forgotten. 

Still get that  looking up in  wonder kick though 

Andy

Edited by SM42
Autocorrect mixing up science with mumbo jumbo
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Speaking of solar circuits, next week will be the 40th anniversary of our arrival in the US. 

We arrived in Canada three months before that.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

We are back from our trip to Wimpole Hall. We had a lovely day. The picnic grounds are quite a way from the car park so I was quite ready for the snacks and drink when we sat under a shady tree. The cake was left in the car so we could have it when we returned at the end of the day. Surprisingly the nieces did like the lemon cake and said “yes, please” when asked if they would like the rest to take home. There is still an A5 (paper) sized chunk at home that never went on the picnic. After the picnic, Raj and I took the considerably lighter picnic containers back to our cars. Aditi, Emma and the girls went off to see a pig feeding display. Aditi phoned me to let me know they had moved on to observe chickens. We did find them. We all liked the farm machinery and rare breed animals. 
The traffic wasn’t too bad for a Friday, it was a bit manic around Stansted, people in the wrong lane trying to exit mainly. 
I am sure I walked further on our days out in Devon but that was on woodland trails mainly. The ground in Cambridgeshire at the moment isn’t so forgiving so I am really tired. I didn’t want any dinner so just ate a few bits left over from the picnic. 
Didn’t see any attempted pick a nick basket theft by Yogi, Poly or even Hippos. There were signs up everywhere asking people not to feed the animals. So we didn’t. 

• Like 14

2 hours ago, BoD said:

I have never ‘fired’ anything more powerful than a small water pistol and (potato pellet) firing ‘spud gun’. It looks tempting but with my eyesight it is probably best that I don’t start now.

Which reminds me of a copper, young in service (me), the then Lord Chief Justice (Widgery), a 38 Smith & Wesson, and an expenses claim form.

It'll keep for my memoirs.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, br2975 said:

Which reminds me of a copper, young in service (me), the then Lord Chief Justice (Widgery), a 38 Smith & Wesson, and an expenses claim form.

It'll keep for my memoirs.

'Sign my claim form PC Rolley or your Lima class 20 gets it!'

• Funny 11

23 minutes ago, polybear said:

Tonight, 9pm :  The Restoration Man on the 'box;  Settle Station

Too far out to pick that up. I have a sneaky plan with a Freesat box though.

We are currently watching a Disco Polo concert from Warszawa  in 2018. 

Ice cream ( black cherry ripple) has been served and is mixing well with the beer 🤔

We are in that happy but sad time at the end of our stay where we are happy to finish the contents of the fridge / freezer but sad that it means we must leave soon and go back to working for the living.  

The only bright spot is the prospect of an iced Berliner for breakfast at Buckautal services

Andy

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

'Sign my claim form PC Rolley or your Lima class 20 gets it!'

Quite the reverse Young Hippo.

More like "if you don't submit this claim PC Rolley, I'm inclined to overlook the 38 Smith & Wesson left on the kitchen table of the lodgings, under a copy of the Western Mail !"

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, br2975 said:

Quite the reverse Young Hippo.

More like "if you don't submit this claim PC Rolley, I'm inclined to overlook the 38 Smith & Wesson left on the kitchen table of the lodgings, under a copy of the Western Mail !"

Was that the lodgings at Radyr?

Traffic (as they were then) always used to blue light the judge up  and down the A470 when the court was sitting.

I don't think the judiciary get quite the same treatment these days.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1