Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

36 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Quite a good day today. I went out to a convivial lunch with the local Probus club then when I got home at about three o'clock Jill announced that we were going to spend the rest of the afternoon in the shed where I got some more of the wagon kit done as well as adding a bit of fencing to my layout. All good stuff for the soul and hence I have once again kicked the black dog back towards the kennel.

Dave

Hmm I may be miss reading this but what did Jill do whilst she was in the shed? Or shouldn't we ask?

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Hmm I may be miss reading this but what did Jill do whilst she was in the shed? Or shouldn't we ask?

I shall have to find my "Fifty Sheds of Grey" quotes book........

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

16 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

No. This is wrong

It is a well known that women and sheds are like oil and water 

They don' t mix

Other theories suggest they are like naked flames in a gunpowder factory 

To be kept well away from each other.

Where is a scared husband to hide if the shed is not out of bounds to the female of the house?

Andy

Who has two to choose from (sheds that is)

• Funny 12

2 minutes ago, SM42 said:

No. This is wrong

They don' t mix

Where is a scared husband to hide if the shed is not out of bounds to the female of the house?

Andy

No one likes a braggart!

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Absolutely - not at all planned 😇

Dave

That last syatement is about as believable as mine that I didn't plan for the Big Boy to come past our motel on our Ruby wedding trip.

Jamie

• Round of applause 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, SM42 said:

No. This is wrong

They don' t mix

Andy

Some of us have sheds big enough to get lost in.....i even ran some trains in there today. Proper Crimson Lake ones with numbers like 14, 996, 736 and 632.

Jamie

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Dave is a bit of a bounder when it comes to describing his 'shed'.

It's a reinforced hanger with a fine collection of aeroplanes inside, with his railway stuck away in a corner.

On the wall is a painting, probably a Cuneo of a younger Hunt at the controls of a Hawker Hunter over Singapore.

I do think dear old Terence must have had a hell of a job sitting on the wing at 450 knots with his easel and pallette being held down by a couple of erks.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 12

6 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

It's a reinforced hanger with a fine collection of aeroplanes inside, with his railway stuck away in a corner.

On the wall is a painting, probably a Cuneo of a younger Hunt at the controls of a Hawker Hunter over Singapore.

I do think dear old Terence must have had a hell of a job sitting on the wing at 450 knots with his easel and pallette being held down by a couple of erks.

Super glue. Any idea when it was first used. Or maybe that wallpaper paste. You remember they stuck a guy to a board and then lifted the board up of the ground. 

Mind y you Dave could have just nailed his feet to the wing as that's the sort of guy he is. So I've been told.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

12 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Some of us have sheds big enough to get lost in.....i even ran some trains in there today. Proper Crimson Lake ones with numbers like 14, 996, 736 and 632.

Jamie

And no one likes a show of!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Jill has her own art corner in the shed as well as the necessary installations to do the ironing. Today she was doing some artwork.

Dave

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

I shall have to find my "Fifty Sheds of Grey" quotes book........

"Put on this rubber suit and mask" I instructed, calmly.

"Mmmmm...kinky," she purred.

"Yes" I said, "Plus you can't be too careful with all that asbestos in the shed roof"

• Funny 19

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

HH does exaggerate somewhat about my shed. It is actually a brick building 35 ft x 20 ft with my layout all down one side whilst the other side is half mine with a workbench and Unimat and the other half is Jill's art corner. In the middle are a couple of second hand kitchen tables, which used to be my Dad's work area, and a Hobbymat lathe. There are various cupboards under the the workbenches and an LDC safe in case of invasion by wandering ursines and/or pachyderms. The main defining feature is that nearly all the locomotives are crimson lake (with three royal blue exceptions) and the only things coloured green are the grass and bushes.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 13
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

HH does exaggerate somewhat about my shed. 

My whole body shuddered as she entered my Man Cave. I really must get a padlock for the shed door,

• Funny 13

5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Have they got back to the fiddle yard yet?

Andy

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

3 hours ago, AndyID said:

So, Dave "two lathes" then?

A certain Bear has 12, plus:

Five bluddy great milling machines

Four pillar drills

A guillotine

A bender

A vertical bandsaw

A horizontal bandsaw

And a grinder

But no Surface Grinder 😢

But only on Thursday evenings, during term-time.  Turdycurses.

And only one shed - that's totally rammed. Double TC's

• Like 3
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

26 minutes ago, polybear said:

A certain Bear has 12, plus:

Five bluddy great milling machines

Four pillar drills

A guillotine

A bender

A vertical bandsaw

A horizontal bandsaw

And a grinder

But no Surface Grinder 😢

But only on Thursday evenings, during term-time.  Turdycurses.

And only one shed - that's totally rammed. Double TC's

I confess I have two myself, and a milling machine (it's really a mill/drill) 😀

There's something about machining bits of steel to precise dimensions that really appeals to me. I'm sure a trickcyclist would have a field day.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

HH does exaggerate somewhat about my shed. It is actually a brick building 35 ft x 20 ft with my layout all down one side whilst the other side is half mine with a workbench and Unimat and the other half is Jill's art corner. In the middle are a couple of second hand kitchen tables, which used to be my Dad's work area, and a Hobbymat lathe. There are various cupboards under the the workbenches and an LDC safe in case of invasion by wandering ursines and/or pachyderms. The main defining feature is that nearly all the locomotives are crimson lake (with three royal blue exceptions) and the only things coloured green are the grass and bushes.

Dave

That sounds like an ideal set up and what a good idea to have a 'physical' boundary between you and Jill's half- bit like the Berlin Wall. I hope you have a Checkpoint Charlie with rigid demarcation rules. Wouldn't want her straying across the border and causing an international incident would we. 

Wish I had something like that. All I have is a garage that's so full of 'stuff' that Mavis Victoria- that's the car by the way before you go getting ideas, has long given up hope of ever entering.

I'd best go now before I get all sentimental and start blubbing what with talk of fully equipped sheds with lathes and etc.

Ian no sheds but full garage.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

The boy showing off his 'new toy' ( OK his employers 'new toy' ) - a three-man deep submersible called 'Aurelia' , undergoing sea trials off the island of Kea.

As a teenager, the Yiddish term 'klutz' was invented especially for him.

Now his unwitting employer let's him loose with their £7m hardware.

Does anyone detect pangs of parental jealousy ?

Aurelia-2.jpg

Aurelia-1.jpg

Aurelia-3.jpg

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 1

I ain't no Sir Patrick Moore, but I do have a couple of telescopes 😀

Despite the clear skies here at the moment it's not so easy to get a good view of what's up there. A lot of the problem is "light pollution" caused by us and it's not so easy to find places where the sky is really dark.

There is a photographic technique where you can digitally stack multiple images to reduce the noise and enhance the image. I "accidentally" bought a used and slightly beaten-up camera that will attach to my telescope to let me do that. I'm not holding my breath but it should be fun to see if it works.

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I believe that some have found daylight.

Jamie

Ah,

I see.

Crossed a time zone. 

Still way to go then.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Funny 6