RMweb

Show us yours - Realistic modelling

On 25/08/2022 at 16:45, PjKing1 said:

D326 stands next to the fuel storage tanks 

Just walking home off night shift via Bescot TMD.

Slap some oily crud on the track and you have got it - well done 

12 hours ago, 43110andyb said:

Class 20’s 081 and 124 head south with 7V22 Barrow Hill yard to Didcot PS

Oh yes !!! Like it. 

The Didcots had become type 5s when I became focused on tonnage for Didcot PS. Our 7V95 Bescot-Didcot was mostly a class 58 back then but 56s were just as, if not more able.  Diagrammed 45 MGRs but rarely ran with more than 44. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Oh yes !!! Like it. 

The Didcots had become type 5s when I became focused on tonnage for Didcot PS. Our 7V95 Bescot-Didcot was mostly a class 58 back then but 56s were just as, if not more able.  Diagrammed 45 MGRs but rarely ran with more than 44. 

It’s usually diagramed for a 56 on Charwelton but it had failed so the 20’s deputised for the weekend of the show at Wigan!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sort of bit of a Radyr looking north feel to it; are those the towers of Castell Coch peeping out behind 37664's horns?  The railings at the back of the platform evoke the drop at Radyr into the River Taff, though here the up platform is missing, and the trees would be on the other bank where the Taff Trail bike route runs. 

It's not Radyr, obviously, but shares some features.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, class27 said:

It is the low Sun effect that makes this for me.

Its actually artificial light, its part of the lighting rig on our Dovedale layout.

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Sort of bit of a Radyr looking north feel to it; are those the towers of Castell Coch peeping out behind 37664's horns?  The railings at the back of the platform evoke the drop at Radyr into the River Taff, though here the up platform is missing, and the trees would be on the other bank where the Taff Trail bike route runs. 

It's not Radyr, obviously, but shares some features.

I couldn't tell you to be honest, its actually a friend of a friends layout with my wagons and someone else's loco. My friend is just storing it for a while which gives us a nice little back drop to take pictures on and I was quite pleased with the angle on this one. I am told its called 'Cwm Rhiw' and is based in the Valleys. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Certainly looks the part!  Most Valleys mountainsides are wooded these days, but 5 or 6 decades ago many were bare grass, kept down by the sheep.  Wooded is their natural state, but during the coal mining era all the trees were very quickly cut for pit-props, which had to be imported once the local supply was exhausted.  The typical scene was of bare hills, with coal spoil tips on the tops or sides, connected to their collieries by 'the buckets', aerial ropeways carrying the spoil much like ski lifts but a bit less glamorous, and their squeaking and clanking was a background noise so all-pervasive that you only noticed it when it stopped. 

My Great-aunt Nell, a marvellous character whose parents had come over fleeing the Great Famine in Ireland and who died in 1966 at 103 years of age, a life-long clay pipe smoker who'd lived in the same house in Tonypandy for nearly all her life, reckoned she could remember when 'a squirrel could go all the way from Ponty to Blaencwm without once touching the ground, the trees were so thick'.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/10/2022 at 11:50, saxokid said:

Light engine 37046 on banks road 

8000B431-5EB2-479C-989D-1682526C7C75.png

Light engine working south past Pontypridd goods yard. Rhondda Cutting was on the right, and the road bridge carries the road from Ponty library, over to Tyfica Road. Goods yard exit is obscured by the locomotive.

Nice picture!

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

'Bill' the Sentinel was always well looked-after by his crew at Cuthbertson's chocolate factory.

Here he has just run forward onto the main running line at Callow Lane, so that a BR loco can retrieve the loaded box vans that he has just brought out of the factory:

20220622_113515.jpg.d26f5c302ea3020c1d8e17245996e8f0.jpg

There's a loco that looks like that on display at the Streetlife museum in Hull

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall
  • Informative/Useful 1