Show us yours - Realistic modelling

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

A lot of it is to do with the photographic element too. Many pictures lack depth of field which is down to the camera, but if possible with what you have to hand try and use a smaller aperture and longer exposure with the camera on a tripod. I appreciate that not all cameras have the luxury, but worth pondering nevertheless. I have a recon Fuji Finepix S5800 which goes down to F13.6, and didn't cost me the earth. It has an aperture priority mode.

Photography apart, I do get a lot of inspiration from this thread for scenic ideas away from just having locos and track.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

I heard this from an exhibitor at a Farnham Model Railway Club exhibition, just as I was starting  to strive for more realism in my models.

As a rule-of-thumb, it really stuck with me. 

In the fulness of time, I found myself at an exhibition with a model based on a real place. 

You can imagine my joy when someone strode up confidently to the model and said "I already knew from a distance that was Inverurie Works"

bm-eye-level-08a.jpg.1ffce4606098e449202cfa427d136f26.jpg .." 

Cracking attention to detail on the masonry there. I can appreciate the work that went into it. Smashing. 

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Cracking attention to detail on the masonry there. I can appreciate the work that went into it. Smashing. 

Thanks Chris! .. as it happens, I had to go down the DIY masonry route as  'Aberdeen bond' stone didn't feature on anyone's list of embossed materials!

Edited by brylonscamel

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

Thanks Chris! .. as it happens, I had to go down the DIY masonry route as  'Aberdeen bond' stone didn't feature on anyone's list of embossed materials!

How did you create it?

• Tempfix
50 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Having scribbed 3500 bricks into plaster for Exhill I take my hat off to you

A hat off here too. I did similar to do the retaining walls for a section of Sydney Gardens in Bath. Seemed like a good idea when I started...

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 17/03/2023 at 07:11, 2ManySpams said:

Flicking through the images in a dozen recent pages it's occurred to me that the number of votes are a pretty good indication of how realistic the image is and there's almost a rough sort of scale:

(Tongue firmly in cheek and totally subjective scores)

0-15: Oh dear, you've just taken something out of the box and plonked it on the track and have completely missed the point of the thread. Have a good look at the high scoring photos to see what people think hits the mark. 

16-30: Really starting to get there, some great work but often a handful of elements that give the game away that it's a model. Perhaps one excellent element (loco) is let down by another (setting)? Perhaps the scene is just too sterile or pristine? It could also be the photo composition or lighting letting the side down. 

31-45: Smashing it, a good overall balance of excellent modelling - subject and setting in harmony. A real lived-in look being established. There's still just a few elements that could be tweaked but we're down to the fine detail here. Great composition and lighting. 

46-60: Wow, some exceptional modelling coming through. You have to look quite closely to spot this isn't the real thing. Excellent photo composition and very natural lighting.

>61: Now that's just showing off, or is it  photo of the real thing? Who knows but it's really top drawer stuff.

I did notice however that locos tend to get more votes than stock which in turn get more than scenics. It is however often a loco centric hobby...

537261050_1127544869_SWAG22-Pensarrett(1)(Copy).JPG.a53ea8582300eae9df1a0af07ffe5ea2(1).jpeg.8d9e9bf7287834d26890e8c333686e52.jpeg

Agree, plus I tend to use 'like' if it's good, 'craftsmanship/ clever' if it's really good and 'applause' if it's almost impossible to tell if it's real. 

On 13/03/2023 at 11:56, brylonscamel said:

The sun is out on the Fife coast

bm-diorama-coastal-FLICKR-02b.jpg

This deserves applause in my mind. The only thing against it is the apparent bright sunshine might be unrealistic for Scotland 😉

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, thetalkinlens said:

Ex Midland 3F No.43762 brings a pickup goods into Outhwaite Station.

Outhwaite is featured in the current issue (April 2023) of Railway Modeller.

43762-bunker-first-low.jpg

Bought the mag as this was in it, very nice modelling haven't bumped into you to say it personally yet!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1