RMweb

Show us yours - Realistic modelling

On 16/04/2023 at 21:43, ChrisS said:

20230416_212540.jpg.493116cf9f7c4d138352407ecbe70603.jpg

I'm always on the lookout for odd workings. I came across photos on the Internet of DPU M55995 being used as motive power for an engineers ballast working, with two dogfish at Bow Street and Aberystwyth in July 1984.

I was looking through my own photos and M55995 also happened to pass through Swindelton too, with this strange consist in July 1984.

Great stuff.  I joined BR straight from school in 1978 as a fresh faced 16 year old without a camera. My place of work Machynlleth and my chargeman was shortly to retire Dai Hughes !! Come 1979 and Barmouth bridge being blocked to locos. someone in the Stoke Division of the LMR came up with the bright idea of using a DPU as a loco to initially clear the railway beyond Barmouth of vacuum fitted wagons.  Not sure whether there were any unfitted ones, or if there were whether they got broken up on site, but IIRC the DPU brought back up to seven wagons at a time to Machynlleth yard.  These were mostly vans and gunpowder vans and mostly from Penrhyndeudraeth where Nobel nee Cookes manufactured commercial explosives. Never seen any photos of these movements, not sure how many there were but I have a picture in my "minds eye" of a DPU with a train of gunpowder vans running into Machynlleth.

At this time the DPUs were manned by Salop crews with Machynlleth route conductors, because despite being blue square MU, Machynlleth drivers didn't "sign" them. The arrangement was that regular DPU conveying Kay & Co parcels to at Newtown then ran empty to Machynlleth to pick up conductors then work as required. On one occasion when I was early shift the chargeman asked me to go up to the rock siding and couple the DPU to a bogie bolster wagon which carried a huge timber baulk as the start of the bridge works. I remember this being an awkward task because DMU vacuum pipes were the opposite way to normal rolling stock - the latter haviing the vacuum pipe under the 2nd man's windscreen.  This meant coupling the vacuum "bags" both on the same side rather under the shackle.  Anyway, job done and off it went to Barmouth. My shift finished at 1400 and I needed to go over to Tywyn Wharf so caught the 1416 over and quickly did what I needed to do, then walked back up to the BR station to catch the train back to Machynlleth.  As luck would have it the DPU returning empty from Barmouth turned up so I cadge a lift back in the back cab of it with the guard. 

I left Machynlleth in the Summer of 1980 so have no memories of what the DPUs did after this time, but I know they gemerally hauled two Dogfish at a time on ballast dropping jobs, and imagine Machynlleth and possibly Pwllheli drtivers learnt them for this work.  I have vague memories of BR using Harlech as a ballast loading point for ballasting the northern section when the bridge was closed.  There was also a "makeshift" diesel serving point at Pwllheli for maintaining the captive DMUs, which may also have looked after the DPU at times.     

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, saxokid said:

Freight yard scene on “night shift”…

5F51A671-5883-44ED-80EA-A6E4F35071F6.jpeg

I would like to see a track-level shot of this, in the same lighting conditions.  If you have time/inclination, any chance of a view from the 'crew room'(?) by the bridge entrance we see on the right of the above picture?  Thanks.  Sorry to turn this thread into a 'Request Show'. :)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 25/04/2023 at 09:31, Captain Kernow said:

Perhaps if I could explain, with polite and constructive intentions - the photos of your layout, showing the towers in the context of a wider scene are very good and definitely the sort of thing that this thread is all about.

Where you show us photos of those same towers in the context of a workbench setting, where the surroundings of the towers are the workbench, tools etc., then that is more appropriately shown in a 'Whats on my workbench' type of thread.

The towers themselves may well be (and I think are) good examples of skilled modelmaking, but as I understand it, this thread is all about showing an overall modelled scene, with the ultimate objective of making the viewer think that they are looking at a real scene rather than a model.

I can see two viewpoints here, both seem valid, both well intended and based, on the Titles of the threads.  I also see a distinction between a "finished" item built to realistic looking standards, shown in close detail - "realistic modelling" [which is recognised in both the comment highlighted in purple above and the Title "Realistic modelling"]  and the"How realistic are you models" thread, where the model is the subject, not an item(s), which, also, may be well done.

On the other hand, the "On my workbench" implies something being worked on and how it was done - rather than a completed item. 

Umm...  For me, it seems that those lights look very much like a, delightful, realistic representation of the full size versions, so could well be a welcome contribution in either of the threads.

Julian

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1