RMweb

Show us yours - Realistic modelling

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

If they'd had cheap mass-produced drones in the early 1960s, I've no doubt that Ben Ashworth might have made use of one and produced a photo like this:

Or really long poles.

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
On 31/07/2023 at 20:48, Worsdell forever said:

One from Felton Lane quite a few years ago. Probably discussing leeks or pigeons or something.

IMGP8465-002.jpg.cd4b779adcb6492b9a8dc039cf9586f5.jpg

IMGP8465-001a.jpg.f2410043838cd352fa87533415da3f81.jpg

I do like this. There's something that's just... well, right. When working in a garage as a young bloke, I got my father an Austin 7 Ruby for 50 bob and it was a 'good runner.'

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Those old things were nearly indestructible. I found another one for him: a soft top that did 45mph. He put a new stud in for the exhaust manifold, but stripped the thread, so instead of waiting for me he got a genius to drill and tap the hole bigger. Job's a goodun they thought, until they turned it over and realised the bolt had gone through the water jacket and cylinder. What a good job it didn't have a self starter. Anyway, said genius removed bolt, cut a bit off, put some sealant on the end and screwed it back in. I couldn't believe it work, but it did... and still did 45.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Stuff is not necessarily rubbish because it's a bit long in the tooth, and the old Afx kit 16tonner is a perfectly cromulent model, shake the box easy, and was for many years the only available 4mm mineral on the correct 9' wheelbase, all others being either on a wrong generic 10' wb or were not quite the right scale (Trix).  Being to scale it scrubs up well and responds to a bit of working up, especially in regard to retrofit buffers.  The original Airfix plastic wheels were pretty dire, but the current Dapol/Kitmaster iteration of this old-timer has much better.  It is also TTBOMK the only 4mm mineral with working/opening side doors, useful for posing in coal yards being unloaded.  It benefits from as much ballast as you can hide in the chassis and the plastic moulded coal is pretty awful, but the basics are there for a decent model, as your photos show. 

IIRC Mainline 16ton and 7-plank minerals were on the correct wb chassis (even Afx, who already knew better, got this wrong in their RTR range), but did not have refinements such as separate brake levers or brake blocks in line with the wheels (though this is in itself a departure from scale as the wheels are to an incorrect 16mm gauge, let's not start all that again).  We had to wait for Bachmann, then Oxford, to produce RTR minerals as good as this old kit, and both Hornby and Dapol are still producing minerals on 10' wb chassis.  And the kit wins out on the Baccy or Ox RTR by having opening doors...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1