The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Obviously a fascinating read...I end up in much the same state when folks start extolling the alleged superiority of Swindon.

(Joking!) C6T.

She did the same when I was looking at "The combat History of Schwere Panzerjager Abteilung654" too.  I think she wants my attention!

Regards,

Craig

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Craigw said:

She did the same when I was looking at "The combat History of Schwere Panzerjager Abteilung654" too.  I think she wants my attention!

'Tank' must be the common theme...

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

The artist, formerly known as Mrs Dubya is cat sitting this little beauty at the moment.

IMG-20240206-WA0002.jpg.58a36c24a0c3cff61a23c05f8268d429.jpg

Nothing much special about that except that little fluffkin there will most definitely be a descendant of not only our long gone kitties (Kitty and Peggy 😭) but most definitely will be a GGG grandchild of "Burglar Bill", black and white stallion of the Foxhill estate in Bath.  He must of been gone for 10 years or more but a good 75-80% of all existing kitties will be a result of Bill.  I remember the last time I saw him, looking very disheveled, dragging himself off to his next 'conquest' 🤣

• Like 15

Help! A cat is trying to adopt us!

cat1.JPG.e3a2ae8e1ca47e3970b2395492455d1e.JPG

This cat has been hanging around our house for the past few days, sits outside the living room and watches us through the windows and waits on the doorstep for someone to come out and pet him/her, headbutts your ankles and tells you all about it, clearly it wants to come in. It looks too well fed to be a stray so I suspect someone in the village is yelling "Puss! Puss!" outside their back door right now. Our girls are not impressed and Myla hides under the coffee table and growls when it's outside, she's already done a stress-wee by the back door as a dirty protest.

cat2.JPG.5911687e6c4e125992642e29fb089f86.JPG

I'm of the "just chase the b*gg*r away" persuasion, but the wife is kinder-hearted and has already fed it a couple of times (a cardinal error I feel). I have posted on the village noticeboard, but no response as yet.

What would you do?

Edited by TT-Pete
profanity check says no
  • Friendly/supportive 14

33 minutes ago, TT-Pete said:

This cat has been hanging around our house for the past few days, sits outside the living room and watches us through the windows and waits on the doorstep for someone to come out and pet him/her, headbutts your ankles and tells you all about it, clearly it wants to come in. It looks too well fed to be a stray so I suspect someone in the village is yelling "Puss! Puss!" outside their back door right now. Our girls are not impressed and Myla hides under the coffee table and growls when it's outside, she's already done a stress-wee by the back door as a dirty protest.

I'm of the "just chase the b*gg*r away" persuasion, but the wife is kinder-hearted and has already fed it a couple of times (a cardinal error I feel). I have posted on the village noticeboard, but no response as yet.

What would you do?

I'll give you three guesses ....

image.png.c3688590c88c5067f91951dcf15ac815.png

• Funny 5

11 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

What would you do?

Catch it if you can and take it round to the vets or your local cat charity to scan for a microchip.  It looks well cared for and probably in the "Six dinner Sid" category, looking for a seventh dinner from you!

• Agree 8
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, TT-Pete said:she's already done a stress-wee by the back door as a dirty protest.

she's already done a stress-wee by the back door as a dirty protest.

I'd have thought that more likely to be territory scent marking?

14 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

What would you do?

That puss has similar colourings to the wee lad that adopted me last summer...and is still here.

Mind, I knew where my lad had come from.....next door!  They have a habit of giving homes [shelter and some grub] to various unhomables from the Cat's Protection folk....Along with sheep, ducks, etc.....[all unwanted where they were before....a quite noisy back garden!]

''My'' lad was one of a couple who arrived next door last summer...a much older, huge bundle of fluff who really doesn't want to confront anybody, and is wary of hoomins...and Bloo, so called [by next door] for his pale blue eyes.

Bloo spent almost a month simply sitting on the steps watching my back door [I already had a not--mi-cat from the previous year....]

Then , once he had plucked up the courage, he came inside....not to go outside again except for  essentials..

According to Cat's Protection, he was thought to have  brain damage....[He is a can short of a six-pack]...

Next door aren't too worried about it all....they understand that one doesn't actually 'own' cats....they pick  choose where they want to be....

It is accepted that if one of 'their' feline acquisitions prefers to live at mine, then so be it!

I haven't gone out of my way to acquire any cats....more the other way around.

I draw the line when next door's hens come a-knocking on my back door, however.... As do my not-mi-cats...cos the hens have a habit of blocking the catflap!

Anyway, Bloo has a ''grubby chin'' just like TT-pete's lad...

The trouble all really started when I replaced the old broken cat flap, with one that worked both ways...Prior to that, all cats learnt to knock on my back door when they wanted to come in..

• Like 9
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, alastairq said:

Anyway, Bloo has a ''grubby chin'' just like TT-pete's lad...

NOT MY CAT!!!!

It has been a busy day on the moggie front so far today; let Myla out at 06:00, about 07:00 saw the porch light was on, assumed it was her wanting to come in again, swung front door open and bedraggled strange cat is sitting on the door mat and jumps up about to lunge for the open door, which gets swiftly shut again.

Go to the kitchen to make tea. Cat has moved on top of the log pile, is staring at me through the window and meowing plaintively. Ignore it. 08:30 see that cat is still on doorstep and Myla is hiding under the car too afraid to come to the door.

"Cat shunting puzzle" then ensues; go outside, pick up strange cat (it doesn't mind at all) and flip it over to inspect the undercarriage (it's a neutered boy), plonk him on the garden wall and try to encourage Myla out from under the car. She comes half-way to the door, he jumps off the wall and also heads towards the door. Myla turns and runs back under car. Round 2: grab cat again (I am calling him Adolf, when I first saw his facial markings I thought it could either be Adolf because of the moustache or Marilyn because of the beauty spot depending on the sex. So Adolf it is.) and carry him half-way up the drive whilst calling Myla to come out from under the car which she does and has a good long sniff of the door mat where Adolf has been sitting before leaping indoors.

Myla has breakfast then wants to go out the back. 09:15 I look up from my desk and see Myla down the end of the garden and Adolf, who has been sitting on the patio furniture, is heading straight towards her, not good! So I go out, as soon as he sees me he comes trotting up meowing like mad and headbutts my ankles (I appear to have been chosen...) so I stride past him, pick Myla up and carry her indoors whilst she is looking down and making 8F safety valve lift-off impressions as we pass Adolf.

I think if he's still hanging around after the weekend we'll grab him, stuff him in a carrier and dump him a few miles away take him to the vet to see if he's been microchipped.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

3 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

NOT MY CAT!!!!

It has been a busy day on the moggie front so far today; let Myla out at 06:00, about 07:00 saw the porch light was on, assumed it was her wanting to come in again, swung front door open and bedraggled strange cat is sitting on the door mat and jumps up about to lunge for the open door, which gets swiftly shut again.

Go to the kitchen to make tea. Cat has moved on top of the log pile, is staring at me through the window and meowing plaintively. Ignore it. 08:30 see that cat is still on doorstep and Myla is hiding under the car too afraid to come to the door.

"Cat shunting puzzle" then ensues; go outside, pick up strange cat (it doesn't mind at all) and flip it over to inspect the undercarriage (it's a neutered boy), plonk him on the garden wall and try to encourage Myla out from under the car. She comes half-way to the door, he jumps off the wall and also heads towards the door. Myla turns and runs back under car. Round 2: grab cat again (I am calling him Adolf, when I first saw his facial markings I thought it could either be Adolf because of the moustache or Marilyn because of the beauty spot depending on the sex. So Adolf it is.) and carry him half-way up the drive whilst calling Myla to come out from under the car which she does and has a good long sniff of the door mat where Adolf has been sitting before leaping indoors.

Myla has breakfast then wants to go out the back. 09:15 I look up from my desk and see Myla down the end of the garden and Adolf, who has been sitting on the patio furniture, is heading straight towards her, not good! So I go out, as soon as he sees me he comes trotting up meowing like mad and headbutts my ankles (I appear to have been chosen...) so I stride past him, pick Myla up and carry her indoors whilst she is looking down and making 8F safety valve lift-off impressions as we pass Adolf.

I think if he's still hanging around after the weekend we'll grab him, stuff him in a carrier and dump him a few miles away take him to the vet to see if he's been microchipped.

I think the hoomin equivalent is, wrapping you around their little finger???

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/02/2024 at 08:15, eastglosmog said:

Catch it if you can and take it round to the vets or your local cat charity to scan for a microchip.

That seems like a good course of action.

Or... can you not just close the curtains when he's around?...

Whilst having loads of sympathy with the visiting cat, my priorities would be to ensure that my own cats were OK and not unsettled by the visitor.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 08/02/2024 at 08:15, eastglosmog said:

"Six dinner Sid"

@alastairq @Captain Kernow

You all called it. Friday I received the following message on the Nextdoor app:

"Alex F

Hi there 👋 This is Tom. He’s a stray who decided to move in with us, on Lower Lane, about 6 months ago, although he’d been hanging round for nearly 12 months prior to his decision. He is definitely well fed 😏 He is a wanderer and usually attracted to homes that have had or do have cats. He is very much a free spirit and comes and goes as he fancies. He is a gentle soul who loves a bit of attention. He has been on this app several times, posted by people who he has blessed with his presence xx"

There were then several other posts from people in the village sighting him up to 2 miles from here and saying how is trying to befriend their cats. But, no matter how much of a gentle sould he is, he is upsetting Myla! So curtains are now drawn where possible but I drew the line at moving a ton of logs from the logpile outside the kitchen winow.

He hasn't quite got the hint yet as I could hear Myla growling at the living room curtains just a minute ago...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7