RMweb

On Cats

didcot

29 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

And why does no manufacturer make mouse flavour cat food?

Andi

Or spider flavour, or earwig/woodlouse flavour (it's extra crunchy!) or frog or chaffinch/blue tit flavour? Or the most esoteric of all the "you're throwing it away? I know I did not like it yesterday and refused to eat it but now it's sat there overnight with flies crawling over it it's delicious"  flavour. Cats.

• Funny 7

6 minutes ago, TT-Pete said:

Or spider flavour, or earwig/woodlouse flavour (it's extra crunchy!) or frog or chaffinch/blue tit flavour? Or the most esoteric of all the "you're throwing it away? I know I did not like it yesterday and refused to eat it but now it's sat there overnight with flies crawling over it it's delicious"  flavour. Cats.

None of our cats ate spiders; I suspect they had learnt, from bitter experience, that they could contain unpleasant venom. However, they were always partial to a moth. The hours I’ve spent holding a cat aloft, so they could catch one fluttering under the ceiling.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

For administering tablets to our cat we use a 'pill popper'.  It looks like a syringe but has a formed end that can hold a tablet.  When you push the syringe the jet of water pushes the pill into the cat's throat and the water forces it to swallow.

As out cat has arthritis it has two tablets a day, it's got to the point where he sits there as you do the tablet as he know's there's a bowl of food coming afterwards!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Pah!

My little Peggy wasn't interested in those common flavours,oh no!  She much preferred an at risk species, and to be more precise the offspring of one, in this case a juvenile Bullfinch.  I miss that little cat but her passing has certainly helped with  keeping the endangered list a little lower.

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Why no pork cat food?

steve

Probably because there isn't much of a pig that we don't eat to be left over for pet food?

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
autocorrupt
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 minutes ago, Nick C said:

The water there looks surprisingly clear - I'd expect a lot more blood!

What did the poor things do to deserve such torture?

They were beginning to get a bit smelly.  They recommend you give cats a bath every month or two.  It's been a lot longer than that since we last got out the cat shampoo.  Snowdrop was much more accepting of being scrubbed than the others, and she's sitting on my lap now.  They all forgave us once they'd been towelled dry.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

They were beginning to get a bit smelly.  They recommend you give cats a bath every month or two.  It's been a lot longer than that since we last got out the cat shampoo.  

Really? That's a new one on me!

Who are "They" and do they own shares in cat shampoo? 😉

I've never washed any of mine and they've never been smelly but they have been known to jump into the pond by mistake. They made it pretty clear that it was not an experience they wanted to repeat in any form.

• Like 2
  • Agree 13
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I've never washed any of mine and they've never been smelly 

None of ours have either. My Mum used to say that when going to see a cat always watch and see whether it cleaned itself before deciding which one to take.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Gizmo seems quite happy to go out in the rain, possibly because his hair's so long that the water probably doesn't get to his skin very much.  He's has recently taken to asking to be dried when he comes back in.  He might not mind a bath but we've never tried.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

They were beginning to get a bit smelly.  They recommend you give cats a bath every month or two.  It's been a lot longer than that since we last got out the cat shampoo.  Snowdrop was much more accepting of being scrubbed than the others, and she's sitting on my lap now.  They all forgave us once they'd been towelled dry.

I'm with @Harlequin on this, I've never heard of giving a cat a bath! They do it themselves about a dozen times a day, and ours certainly aren't smelly!

The closest we've ever come to that was when Bonnie tried to jump on a freshly painted fence and got paint on her front paws - she didn't take kindly to being grabbed and having her paws washed!

31 minutes ago, Edwin_m said:

Gizmo seems quite happy to go out in the rain, possibly because his hair's so long that the water probably doesn't get to his skin very much.  He's has recently taken to asking to be dried when he comes back in.  He might not mind a bath but we've never tried.  

Benji occasionally likes to be dried when he comes in from the rain too!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Badger once took a bath.  As a kitten, he liked to walk round my bathtub while I was in it, until one day he discovered too late that he had grown too broad for the wall side stretch and fell in with a mighty splash! Jumped out pretty quick  via me and insisted on being toweled dry.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4