The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that confirm your age

Guest Jack Benson

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Trying to explain to your kids that shops didnt open on Sundays.

Extolling the virtues of proper wrestling from exotic locations such such as Bolton town hall on a Saturday afternoon. And how much better Big Daddy was than Hulk Hogan. 

Payphones and phonecards 

Oh and Dr Who was scary and you did hide behind the sofa

Trying to explain to youngsters that pubs opened from 12.00 til 2.30 and then reopened at 7.00 until 10.30.

And if you were in Wales they were closed all day Sunday.....

Ah, The days of trying to find a pub having an afternoon lock in!

:drinks:

• Like 3

TV was once three channels and it turned off transmission when it had nothing to show - today loads of channels with nothing to show but they continue transmitting.  Okay I accept one person's rubbish is another person's top gripping reality factual life in a co-op late at night in the Shetlands gripping TV.

FM radio was once the new thing and music in stereo sounded cool.  Interestingly some DAB stations, music ones, actually broadcast in Mono to reduce bit rates and allow more channels.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Going to the clinic as a toddler to be weighed and get National Health Orange Juice. Somwhere I've still got my Identity Card and a ration book.  Bus conductors with ticket racks. Muffin the Mule (it's illegal now).  Festival of Britain events in the park.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I remember the bbc playing the National anthem at closedown.

Mind you at that time a lot of the stars weren't known for being #######s

And until 2006 Radio 4 began their broadcasting day with the UK Theme.

16 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

TV was once three channels

Before the mid-60s, you had a choice of two, unless you lived in the borderlands and could get, if "lucky", four! (BBC, ITV, BBC Wales, HTV)  What usually happened was that one set of channels or the other would arrive in an electronic snowstorm and if you were really unlucky you got Heddiw and Pobl y cwm. If you are "very" old you only got one channel until 1955...

• Like 2

You know you're old when you realise that you post on every thread about getting old, be it on her or elsewhere. Pistonheads is full of threads like this, no surprise really as it's populated (mostly) by gentlemen of a certain age!

It dawned on me recently that my eighteen year old niece will never know the joys of half day closing, pound notes, Tiswas or British Rail. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Tim V said:

Remembering where you were when Kennedy got shot.

A lot of people seem to think it is important to remember where you were when Kennedy was shot.

Was this in case of arrest where a mysterious person in black demands you to prove you were not on the grassy knoll?

• Funny 3

8 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

A lot of people seem to think it is important to remember where you were when Kennedy was shot.

Was this in case of arrest where a mysterious person in black demands you to prove you were not on the grassy knoll?

Well my gran and aunt were safe, they were in mid-Atlantic on a Cunard liner the way back home from New York. I've even got the ships newspaper!

Somewhere...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

TV was once three channels and it turned off transmission when it had nothing to show

TV was once one channel (BBC) and it broadcast Childrens Hour (5-6pm?) then closed until proper programmes started (7:30pm?) and was on for about 3½ hours or so.

There were often gaps between programmes filled by the "interlude"

Outside programme times there was  the "Test Card"

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, melmerby said:

TV was once one channel (BBC) and it broadcast Childrens Hour (5-6pm?) then closed until proper programmes started (7:30pm?) and was on for about 3½ hours or so.

I'm rather too young for that but I remember BBC 2 in the afternoon showing the test card. Later on the off time got filled with pages from Ceefax, that probably carried on in to the 90s though, so not all that ancient.

I remember watching TOTP, my father would be saying 'that's not music', till Pan's People came on and he'd shut up. Watching the reruns, I see now what he saw.

Watching the Avengers with Cathy Gale in leathers, and wondering why I enjoyed it.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I remember, back when UHF & colour TV broadcasting started in the UK the BBC sometimes used to fill dead time with "trade test transmissions" which were usually short films about technical subjects to do with TV.  They were quite a good source of edifying entertainment if one was off school with some pernicious infant/adolescent malady or other.  I recall one which explained quite well how colour TV worked.  No electronically addressed LCD flat screens in those days: the receiver had three electron guns and a shadow mask that made sure that only the phosphors of the correct primary colour were excited by the correct electron beam as it scanned across (and up and down) the screen.  Suddenly makes we wonder: does anyone still make CRT displays these days?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

They won't believe you...

Rotary phones!

On the desk next to my computer; it still works and will dial out through the Panasonic key system (made in the UK, btw)978911354_Kelloggredbar-001.JPG.3c90c7ee5666b44dfa96b4d7faf15297.JPG.

The phone is a Kellogg "red bar".

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

You know you're of a certain age when you recall your mum's friends looking like this....

0c95e9870fc384582a5c152d6f6a8ab9.jpg

8178800030_36e1848065_b.jpg

1407947149575_Image_galleryImage_Transport_Personalities_p.jpg

No. 

My Mum's friends never looked like that, but my 'dirty old man' father always put down his Telegraph when they appeared on Top Of The Pops. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

Johnny Walker and Sounds of The  Seventies on a Sunday afternoon.

John

And realising the 70s were  50 years ago

Or listening to Paul Gambacinis  pick off the pops and being disappointed that the years are all too modern ! 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Tim V said:

Remembering where you were when ... man landed on the moon

I remember the first time I realised that some of the younger folks I was working with were from a completely different generation to me.  It was in the very early days of the World Wide Web and, working as I did in an IT company, it was actually part of my job to keep abreast of the developments in that technology.  I remember browsing online one lunchtime at work and I found that NASA had created a special section of their web site to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the first moon landing, with photos, technical papers, first-hand accounts - even (and this was pretty cutting edge at the time*) some video clips.  I turned to the young man at the next desk and excitedly told him what I'd found.  HIs response?  "What, have people been to the moon?"

I was 34 at the time, but I suddenly felt a lot older...

* For example, here is the video that George Goble put online in 1995 of his revolutionary barbeque lighting technique.  High Definition it is not - and note there is no sound!

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1