Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Physicsman said:

In the previous post Jam suggested I was a crazy man re. all the walling.

He is, of course, by my own admission, correct. Especially as all the walling within the confines of the layout (about 20k stones, or 10 metres) has been completely re-done in the "new" style, as those of you - desiring a "padded cell fun fest" - who regularly look on here will know!

Ok, well I think the video below illustrates the walling fetish better than words. The "old" (middle of 2021) style walling that remained is along the backscene boards - about 6 metres of it. All the rest is replacement. And some coping stones and paint wash still needs adding in.

Anyway, hope you find this ditty of interest.

All together guys. After 3.  “The Hills are alive, with the sound of diesels”  

Brian

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I've spent most of the day re-organising stuff in the observatory and getting some new kit checked out.

I've just put the base coat of static grass onto the area around the tunnel portal (#2). It'll be a couple of days until that area is "complete" - probably Tuesday/Wednesday if I include retaining walls, which I ought to.

Here are 3 more very short vids, taken 30 minutes ago. The Sulzer is chugging along nicely. No more vids for quite a while after this, we'll be back to ordinary pics.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

The 15.22 from Applethwaite, delayed by rampant pigs and sheep on the line, retreats through Gill Head cutting.

Not a hint of cork in sight.....

1588714646_20220605_191708cr.thumb.jpg.87982bd5bbb3da0b4338589ca6092e48.jpg

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

With rampant pigs and sheep on the line, maybe it was not a hint of Pork in sight.

Apologies for "same old, same old" btw. Next update in a week or two when something new might be shown.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hi Jeff,

I just saw your picture in one of the “realistic “ threads and I had to come and on here and give my regards!

Fantastic work, I’m loving it,

Cheers,

John 

Thanks John.

Nice to hear from you. Are you currently sunning yourself in Piraeus?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Just popped in to see if there had been any activity on the thread.

Needless to say, I'm plodding on with the project. Really, most of what I've built - other than the large cutting and the viaduct path - are "generalities". There's a lot of detailing to be done elsewhere. What that is, we'll think about when we get to each bit!

I will aim to put a picture update on here in about a week's time. Just mundane stuff, as previously, but areas are looking a bit more "tidied up".

If anyone wishes to post anything on here, please do. You don't just need to discuss my updates. I'll be more than happy to join in anything that's layout or S&C related.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Physicsman said:

I will aim to put a picture update on here in about a week’s time.

If anyone wishes to post anything on here, please do. You don't just need to discuss my updates. I'll be more than happy to join in anything that's layout or S&C related.

Jeff

Ha Ha it’s the way you tell um! As Frank Carson would say 🤣

Nearly had me going there!
A week! as if we could last that long.🤣

Edited by AdeMoore
Sausage fingers
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, AdeMoore said:

Ha Ha it’s the ay you tell um! As Frank Carson would say 🤣

Nearly had me going there!
A week! as if we could last that long.🤣

Don't worry Ade.

Your personal Gill Head photo supplier will send you a couple of pics in a day or two to give you your fix!

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've spent the last week working on the area to the rear of the main station building (which is a future project to complete).

Walling is now complete to the rear and in front of the rear embankment and 2 15-16cm trees have been constructed and added in.

The positions of the trees aren't fixed - they are spigoted and can easily be moved around/rearranged.

1749258894_20220617_144956crGcur2.thumb.jpg.1d4e3ec3e46e8742a55a97e5e5b756c0.jpg

1097887893_20220617_145007crGcur.thumb.jpg.77bdd3f5e71f3ebfffccfef7948dfd1d.jpg

Eventually there'll be a few more bushes/hedging in that area. Just part of the (huge) detailing task to be done.

Edited by Physicsman
Contrast/brightness adjustment to enhance tree detail
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium

Later in the year I'll consider making some trees for sale, as in the one below - this is 16cm tall from base of trunk to top of upper foliage.

If anybody is interested - no commitment at this stage - let me know.

20220617_144643.thumb.jpg.c7149b1f29bd73a474157192a843c9f0.jpg

20220617_144741.thumb.jpg.b99f2901c7c5fcefe9a802be63bc9062.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Alister_G said:

They really are superb Jeff, marvellous.

Al.

Thanks Al. I'll make a number of trees (autumn time) so they'll be ready "off the shelf" - and put their pics on here. Of course, nobody may want to buy them as I won't be "giving 'em away"!!

If nobody wants them I'm sure I can find a project (Hell Ghyll Sidings) to use them on....

2 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

I know you build strong strong walls, Jeff, but to have trees growing on top of them...

Strong walls and trees that grow in the bare air up here you know.

Amazing how the wall was the best vantage point for a quick pic.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Thanks Al. I'll make a number of trees (autumn time) so they'll be ready "off the shelf" 

if your making them in the autumn Jeff does that mean all the leaves will fall off when it arrives? 😂

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Ramrig said:

if your making them in the autumn Jeff does that mean all the leaves will fall off when it arrives? 😂

Very true, so makes them dead easy to make.

Caveat emptor.....

The pics will show a "properly made" tree.

The buyer gets a sprayed armature and a bottle of flock labelled "please re-attach me next March"....

For that suggestion I'll give you a discount. You can have the first hand-crafted model for a paltry £50. Owzat sound?

Oh, apologies - you'll be skint with the outlay on that layout you plan to buy. Umm....

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Oh bother. I just spent this week's pocket money on some trees...

...$100 for 6 real ones, ready milled up too!🤣

Actually, I came hear to marvel at your stone work Jeff, having just spent a whole evening making, fixing about 14 voussoirs and a keystone. Something I've not yet mastered.

Regards Shaun. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Actually, I came hear to marvel at your stone work Jeff, having just spent a whole evening making, fixing about 14 voussoirs and a keystone. Something I've not yet mastered.

Regards Shaun. 

As with anthing, Shaun, practice makes (a little less) imperfect.

I've been known to spend an hour or two playing with the stones (DAS, not Rolling)!

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 17/06/2022 at 21:16, Sasquatch said:

Regards Shaun. 

So what’s that, about 5 2*4”s now ?

Im terrified of what the next batch of ties for CPS II is going to cost. They are plastic 2*4 *16”, and I suspect I won’t get change from $500 for the 70 I need.   I went out and did some clipping to find the 7 panels of curves I finished in March, then mucked around with Lego trains today.  I’ve got some more wiring to do, then I will try the spiral, I think.

Jeff, the Sulzer sounds fantastically unlike the V engines from GM.  

Edited by peach james
Sulzer not sulzen
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, peach james said:

So what’s that, about 5 2*4”s now ?

Im terrified of what the next batch of ties for CPS II is going to cost. They are plastic 2*4 *16”, and I suspect I won’t get change from $500 for the 70 I need.   I went out and did some clipping to find the 7 panels of curves I finished in March, then mucked around with Lego trains today.  I’ve got some more wiring to do, then I will try the spiral, I think.

Jeff, the Sulzer sounds fantastically unlike the V engines from GM.  

Yes! Not much change from $100 for cedar. One 2x4 8' oak is $105. Shocking!!!

The price of wood here is nothing short of insanity. Prices rocketed after the fire in 2020! Locally (In my street) lumber can be obtained for free. Folks are desperately felling trees to create fire breaks and my friend with the Alaska mill acquires lots of it. I help him run the mill and in exchange he gives me milled wood which is much better than what can be purchased at Home Depot. etc. My in-laws want to escape the fire situation too by moving to Wisconsin. Stepdad has given me all his wood as well, it's reclaimed so well seasoned and some of it is old growth douglas fir, cedar etc. I'm quite inundated to tell you the truth. So far this summer I've made two external doors, a 24' long wood shed (and filled that with fire logs), two sets of steps, a pair driveway gates, an outdoor shower and still found time to build all the cabinets for under the railway. Trying to be carful not to over do it.

You're lucky to live in Victoria, a very nice city. We loved it.    

Jeff... Not trying to hijack your thread. Honest! I was inspired by your tunnel build, Queensbury's needs doing and I'll get on it one evening shortly.

Regards Shaun.  

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

No problem with the "hijacking", Shaun.

I'm busy with my own area of interest and it's nice to see a bit of variety in here. DAS, grass, tree. DAS, grass, tree. Sound familiar?

J.

• Like 3