Greenwood Model Products 65ft GWR Turntable

Stephen Freeman

11 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Copied from my Henley on Thames thread:

Greenwood Turntable update:

A quick recap:

• I paid a £50 deposit on 24th March 2021, having expressed an interest on 23rd November 2020 (Ready by Christmas, I was told.)
  • Final balance paid on 6th June 2021 after much chasing and the turntable was despatched within days.
  • Stuck in Spanish customs for @6 weeks and cost €160 in duty.
  • Broken transformer supplied. (Still not replaced)
  • Initial testing found that the cable supplied had faulty plugs.
  • A new cable was supplied

It then transpires that the control panel does not work, so had to be sent back to the UK.

Mike at Greenwood received the parcel on 20th October 2021 and quickly identified that the control panel was not working and a new one would need to be built. That was 3 1/2weeks ago.

I have chased a couple of times, but stated I wanted it back working, having been tested - which if that had happened in the first place, I wouldn't have to be putting up with all of this.

In between times, we have exchanged various emails, with me being very vocal about his failings. In one exchange, I pointed that that he doesn't reply to emails "Waste of time" was his reply! His policy is to reply to only those he considers important....

Yesterday I chased him again. His reply came in last night, stating he has a personal crises and it will be into next week before he can get back to it. I have expressed sympathies, but pointed out that he needs to balance his personal and business commitments, but sadly history is proving that this request will fall on deaf ears.

The whole saga beggars belief, people like him should not be in business.

Should anyone be considering buying products from Greenwood model railway in Swanage, based on my experience my advice would be to avoid them.

This seems to be an ailment that affects several turntable (alleged) suppliers!

CJI.

• Informative/Useful 2

25 minutes ago, two tone green said:

I think he is busy arranging an o gauge show to be held at the beginning of December. 

Then he has taken on too much - any small trader has to be realistic about what can be achieved in a reasonable timescale.

I'm all for enthusiasm, but as soon as you offer anything in exchange for hard cash, you have made a commitment to deliver - end of!

CJI.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I waited 5-6 months for my delivery, although it was promised in 4 weeks.

Eventually received the item, sadly with a few issues but was rectified when pressed and given a final ultimatum...... also I must add that many of us were in "lockdown" so we all had time on our hands and wanted our goods immediately.

I do believe Mike needs to prioritise and fulfil agreed orders before committing to others but some companies may need the income in the hope to catch up with the issues of the past two years.......

No excuse mind you..... but IMHO I believe "it's needs to be quality not quantity" and that goes with customer service......

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys.

overall I think we are agreed that it’s pretty crap customer service and as this thread now testifies, the products are not without their issues…..

Needless to say today’s email hasn’t even had the courtesy of a reply. Even if that reply is “get lost” at least its a reply…..

Sadly to be continued…. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, two tone green said:

Incase you would like to meet him he will be here on the 4th December. 

https://wiltshire7mmshow.com/?fbclid=IwAR1_HNTiz3qP_bw3I7VsH08mdXSh-p4RG-LlHy5k6SxRfUF6UNud3ZkSrS4

Thanks very much for that.

It was pretty stressful flying in last weekend to see my parents, so I think I will give the show a miss!

Hopefully I will have the turntable by then.....

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks very much for that.

It was pretty stressful flying in last weekend to see my parents, so I think I will give the show a miss!

Hopefully I will have the turntable by then.....

4 minutes ago, two tone green said:

Fingers crossed Neal. 

Good luck but I'm wondering on what the odds are...................................................:punish:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Control panel still not returned….. it’s 6 weeks since he received it now….

I’ve just sent a chase email…. Hopefully I will get a reply and more importantly get the control gear back.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

On 10/11/2021 at 11:50, Neal Ball said:

Copied from my Henley on Thames thread:

Greenwood Turntable update:

A quick recap:

• I paid a £50 deposit on 24th March 2021, having expressed an interest on 23rd November 2020 (Ready by Christmas, I was told.)
  • Final balance paid on 6th June 2021 after much chasing and the turntable was despatched within days.
  • Stuck in Spanish customs for @6 weeks and cost €160 in duty.
  • Broken transformer supplied. (Still not replaced)
  • Initial testing found that the cable supplied had faulty plugs.
  • A new cable was supplied

It then transpires that the control panel does not work, so had to be sent back to the UK.

Mike at Greenwood received the parcel on 20th October 2021 and quickly identified that the control panel was not working and a new one would need to be built. That was 3 1/2weeks ago.

I have chased a couple of times, but stated I wanted it back working, having been tested - which if that had happened in the first place, I wouldn't have to be putting up with all of this.

In between times, we have exchanged various emails, with me being very vocal about his failings. In one exchange, I pointed that that he doesn't reply to emails "Waste of time" was his reply! His policy is to reply to only those he considers important....

Yesterday I chased him again. His reply came in last night, stating he has a personal crises and it will be into next week before he can get back to it. I have expressed sympathies, but pointed out that he needs to balance his personal and business commitments, but sadly history is proving that this request will fall on deaf ears.

The whole saga beggars belief, people like him should not be in business.

Should anyone be considering buying products from Greenwood model railway in Swanage, based on my experience my advice would be to avoid them.

Jeez, it sounds like this Bear had a narrow escape - I lost count of the number of times I tried to contact this company via email and phone, all without success.  It sounds like a claim on your credit card could be in order (if it doesn't fall foul of the timescales) or a small claims court summons (it's all done on-line now IIRC) - perhaps that will focus his attention?  If you decide to go that route then it would be best to keep all communications via email (with "delivered" enabled) or even better via recorded delivery.  I doubt you'll get your customs charges back though :sad_mini:

I really hope this works out for you as it must be really disappointing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Jeez, it sounds like this Bear had a narrow escape - I lost count of the number of times I tried to contact this company via email and phone, all without success.  It sounds like a claim on your credit card could be in order (if it doesn't fall foul of the timescales) or a small claims court summons (it's all done on-line now IIRC) - perhaps that will focus his attention?  If you decide to go that route then it would be best to keep all communications via email (with "delivered" enabled) or even better via recorded delivery.  I doubt you'll get your customs charges back though :sad_mini:

I really hope this works out for you as it must be really disappointing.

Thanks Poly,

I've had a reply to my email!

I sent the following: 

Mike,
It’s been 6 weeks since my control gear was sent back to you. Has it been fixed and tested now? Is it about to be sent back?

The reply came back simply:

Yes it is

Hopefully this time he will send it to the correct address; via DHL and with the correct customs declaration.... assuming that his comment means thats its been fixed, tested, now working and he is posting it today!

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I sent a chase email around 1pm to check he was sending everything back and that it was coming by DHL and to the correct email address.

His reply came back simply as: 

HI Yes 

To all but if I was to sit in front of a pc and answer emails all day would not do any work

So presumably it’s been sent, I’ve no idea how or whether he has sent the correct documentation to show is a £0 warranty repair.

It’s all a nightmare.

• Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

It’s all a nightmare.

I'm afraid that there are a minority of small traders who think that they can give up work, model all day to their heart's content; (when it's convenient to them); and have someone pay them to do it !!

The day you accept money to produce something for anyone other than yourself, you take on a responsibility to communicate; work to an agreed timescale; produce the model to an agreed standard; correct ommissions and defects as a matter of urgency and, above all, to put your own life in second place to your business.

If that doesn't appeal - don't do it !!

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

I'm afraid that there are a minority of small traders who think that they can give up work, model all day to their heart's content; (when it's convenient to them); and have someone pay them to do it !!

The day you accept money to produce something for anyone other than yourself, you take on a responsibility to communicate; work to an agreed timescale; produce the model to an agreed standard; correct ommissions and defects as a matter of urgency and, above all, to put your own life in second place to your business.

If that doesn't appeal - don't do it !!

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Thanks for this John.

Having successfully run a large business in the uk and then moved onto the acquisition of other businesses into the fold, I agree with everything you have put above. 

His last reply just beggars belief, but we are talking about a guy who wants to take the money, with no responsibility.

I will reply to him tomorrow, but feel I need to calmly reflect on it first!

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Today I’ve chased for the tracking details. Initially by email… then about an hour ago by telephoning…. I had to leave a message.

I have received the following reply by email….

As I said it is ready to be sent back will be on its way next week as im not there working away as I don’t work on turntable all the time

As soon as I have tracing number you will get it

So another week slips by.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Looks like this bloke needs a bit of attention via Trading Standards.  Neal's story of dealing with him has been terrible and a sad reflection on what is claiming to be 'a business' but from the latest response to Neal sounds more like a part time hobby with little concern about customers who have paid him good money to buy his product.  Hoping that Neal will soon  get the customer service he needs from this person. 

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 3

23 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Looks like this bloke needs a bit of attention via Trading Standards.  Neal's story of dealing with him has been terrible and a sad reflection on what is claiming to be 'a business' but from the latest response to Neal sounds more like a part time hobby with little concern about customers who have paid him good money to buy his product.  Hoping that Neal will soon  get the customer service he needs from this person. 

I'm afraid that the OP is far more patient than I am.

Some time ago, I would have sent a formal, first and final letter to the trader, stating my intention to refer the matter to UK Trading Standards if the complete, working unit had not been supplied by a stated date.

That's the only way to deal with this kind of 'you need me more than I need you - and I've got your money' trader.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Thanks Mike,

The whole saga has been awful from the start.... 

I just want the kit that I've paid for to be back at Henley and working. I can then get on and enjoy the layout.

Thanks again.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I'm afraid that the OP is far more patient than I am.

Some time ago, I would have sent a formal, first and final letter to the trader, stating my intention to refer the matter to UK Trading Standards if the complete, working unit had not been supplied by a stated date.

That's the only way to deal with this kind of 'you need me more than I need you - and I've got your money' trader.

John Isherwood.

Thanks John,

I've tried all of that, apart from actually going to trading standards.

I have lodged a formal complaint and all I got was "I'm embarrassed" in reply. A couple of emails I have threatened Trading Standards, but that got the usual response - nothing.

Thanks again.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Today I’ve chased for the tracking details. Initially by email… then about an hour ago by telephoning…. I had to leave a message.

I have received the following reply by email….

As I said it is ready to be sent back will be on its way next week as im not there working away as I don’t work on turntable all the time

As soon as I have tracing number you will get it

So another week slips by.

We need an "This Guy is taking the P1ss" Emoji.....

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, polybear said:

We need an "This Guy is taking the P1ss" Emoji.....

Sadly Yes Poly.

4 minutes ago, two tone green said:

I should think he is busy arranging the o gauge traders show on 4th December as I believe he is responsible for setting it up. 

Well lets hope my items get delivered before then....

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Sadly Yes Poly.

Well lets hope my items get delivered before then....

Neal, I feel for you, as I said in my previous post I had to wait 5-6 months before I received my turntable after being fobbed off I just wrote to him stating that I am giving him 14 days before starting a small claims via the courts. All of a sudden he sprung into life and I received the turntable within days including the tracking number. I hope you get yours soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

58 minutes ago, two tone green said:

I should think he is busy arranging the o gauge traders show on 4th December as I believe he is responsible for setting it up. 

As I have commented previously - this person confuses his responsibility to paying customers with voluntary work. When the latter takes precedence over the former, something is very wrong with his sense of personal responsibility.

However, it would seem that failure to fulfil expectations also applies to his voluntary activities - https://thereadingtradeshow.co.uk/ ; he cannot be arranging a show that has been cancelled !!

Perhaps an approach to the Guildford O Gauge Group, drawing attention to the failings of one of their members, might bring some peer pressure to bear?

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1