Ravensclyffe

Dagworth

I've just read this thread from start to finish. Comments and questions.

Comments:

Incredible.

Educational.

Inspirational.

Our club takes two hours and six helpers to unload and set up the large layout (about half the size of Ravensclyffe) for an exhibition. I was gobsmacked to see you can do it in two, with only two people. (But then, I was gobsmacked when I first saw Dagworth, and Ravensclyffe retains me in that condition).

Questions:

Do you use pattern makers dowels at more than one level between baseboard joints? (Ie. for Upper Level rail alignment)

Do you have an Exhibition list and Exhibition managers details yet?

Are you using track-circuit technology as per Dagworth, or are you using something such as Railcom or even GPS?

Are you going Entry-Exit (as mentioned earlier in the thread) or do you fancy a bash at ARS?

Finally, are there more than 24-hours in each of your days?

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Progress!

Having spent the spring house hunting and then the summer moving I've managed to create enough room in the front room to be able to bring a pair of boards in from the garage to work on. The pleasant surprise was that I'd done more than I thought and one of the two is pretty much complete on OLE on the upper part and I'd started the overlap in the cutting on the lower level. (Stupid thing is that I had put pictures of that work up here in January just before we got notice to quit...)
Now I'm carving arches into retaining walls to continue the walls that can be seen in the last set of pics here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3288-ravensclyffe/?p=900910
It's a bit late now for making the noise of chain drilling plywood, where we were was a semi with a next door neighbour who was stone deaf, now we are in a terrace with a neighbour on one side with a young child, whereas the people on the other side I wouldn't really mind if I keep them awake all night, it would make up for the blasted builders banging all day while I'm trying to sleep!
Anyway, there should be some new photos tomorrow  :yes: 

Andi

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

As promised, a couple of photos showing where I've got to.

First is a general view of the board that I'd been working on last, with the lower cutting now all present, this is the retaining wall that needs to continue onto the next board

post-6674-0-33991300-1383266215.jpg

The other thing that I'd been doing was the shunt signals for the reception roads, these are meant to be the older type of position light signal of the type shown here http://railsigns.co.uk/photos/p_sps1/p_sps1.html

These are scratchbuilt and do work, but at present I have not got any electrics hooked up to the board to power them

post-6674-0-78514300-1383266446.jpg

Next thing is more of the retaining wall, this is how far I've got at the moment, all the arches cut and ready for the addition of plasticard brickwork.

post-6674-0-03090200-1383266644.jpg

Andi

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Currently frustrated by the local model shops' inability to keep basics in stock, and then them looking baffled when you ask them for items that you've bought from them before!

I need such staples as South Eastern Finecast brick plasticard and Slaters brass wire, not exactly exotic but neither can I get hold of from my local model shops at present...

Also thinking that I desperately need to get to Warley for more N-Brass portal bits!

Andi

• Like 2

Currently frustrated by the local model shops' inability to keep basics in stock, and then them looking baffled when you ask them for items that you've bought from them before!

I need such staples as South Eastern Finecast brick plasticard and Slaters brass wire, not exactly exotic but neither can I get hold of from my local model shops at present...

Also thinking that I desperately need to get to Warley for more N-Brass portal bits!

Andi

Funny enough I tried to get some portal bits to make the registration arms from Nbrass Locos but apparently they stopped doing them! So now I'm going to have to make my own.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I always find it strange how you can do weeks of preparatory work with very little visible progress and then suddenly 48 hours can make a huge difference. Building the arch wall took far too long, but finally it got fitted and then I was able to attack the board with paper mache, then hanging basket liner and finally a bit of overhead. That takes the least scenic board to looking reasonable. Next job now is the overhead in the yard before these boards can be packed up and I can start work on the other end again.

post-6674-0-43182500-1387244806.jpg

Andi

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

What that doesn't tell is the nightmare of having to try to redo one of the catenary supports inside the mouth of the tunnel where the registration arm was out of alignment. It's like trying to perform keyhole surgery, upside down, in a mirror, with a soldering iron...

Andi

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A couple of different boards have come in today, one because I found out that I had quite a big mistake on the overhead of it so it needs to have some remedial work, and the other so it can have its equipment fitted. 

Photos soon.

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

• RMweb Gold

This is the board that had to be reworked, the portals had a problem that I was unaware of when I built them in that the supporting gear should always be on the side of the portal facing the direction of travel on each line, as built I'd put them all on the same side.

(This photo from May 2009, it appears on page one of this topic)

portal2n.jpg

The two sets of gear nearest to the board edge needed to be moved on both portals on this board. This has now been done :) Thanks to Clive for pointing out my mistake before I got any further, it's only taken me four and a half years to get to this board to sort it out! All other portals have been done properly though.

The other problem was that I couldn't remember what I'd done over the farthest three roads of the portal and needed to copy it before I could finish the portals for the rest of the straight part of the yard, another reason why this board needed to come in. The way the boards had been stacked at our old house had left this board buried under about nine others and completely inaccessible, our new location makes it much easier to get at boards I want to work on without moving the whole lot.

Andi 

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Is this coming to Coventry Andi?

Ed

I said to Andy that my layouts are available, or that I'm happy to do some form of demo. Being as Ravens has already featured at two members days I think its coming to Coventry is unlikely this time and it is probably someone else's turn but entirely up to Andy and his team.

Andi

• RMweb Gold

A change is as good as a rest and while I still seem to spend an awful lot of my time making overhead today I've done something different. See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67638-totoncreep-indicators-anyone-tried-diy/

I realised that for the NCB loading point I needed some "toton" signals, such things don't exist RTP so I had to revert to scratchbuilding again. Toton signals as per the link above are shunting control signs for the driver and can exhibit four different states across nine lights. Just to make it more interesting one of those states flashes!
Anyway, here is my first one part finished. It does work, you;ll have to take my word for it at the moment though.
The main construction of the working parts is a piece of very thin PCB with the 9 holes drilled through it and 0603 surface mount LEDs mounted behind and poking into/through the holes. On the front of this will be the plasticard piece with the shrouds.
post-6674-0-92089600-1389662426.jpg

Currently waiting for the paint to dry before I glue the front onto the PCB. The front will be filed to match the profile of the PCB once attached.

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

If you've looked at the pictures and struggled to work out what's where then this may help.

post-6674-0-30200500-1394153319_thumb.jpg

I had to draw it up in order to be able to send it to Warners... (BIG hint :) )

Andi

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've reached a section of Ravensclyffe where I'm stuck and needing to know how the prototype deals with wiring going three ways at once over a three way point. Does anyone have photos of such a thing? I should say that this is for Mk1 equipment. All three sets of equipment need to then run parallel over a single road for a short way until they break back out to different routes again.

Thanks in advance

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Is that pantograph or trolley pole working? In case of the former, just bring the wires close together and run them parallel until the track parts again. For a trolley pole, consider 2 overhead switches directly behind each other.

Yes it's pantograph working, what I need is to know what the supporting structures look like and how they are arranged around a three way point.

Andi