Ravensclyffe

Dagworth

Hi Andi, whilst I am by no means an expert on OHLE, that looks superb! Very impressive Sir.

Loving the HAA collection! I am looking forward to seeing grids and bones pulling them.

228, lovely.....I used to have 98 odd and was pleased with that but your collection is in a different league!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've had a couple of my operators drop out for RMweb Live this weekend so have vacancies if anyone would like to come and play. Accommodation is available, please PM me if interested.

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Some great pictures , what a great layout

love the line up in the sidings .

Is there any video clips of the layout ?

Brian

Shane (Wolf27 here) took a huge amount of video, he has promised me he will edit it to make the layout look good :)

Andi

• Like 1

Great video ,it's a mammoth of a layout , so much to see I bet you could spend a day looking at all the different places on it

,the overhead portals are amazing ,what's the longest span you've done ?

one day I'll have to see this at a show ,hopefully I'll make the next rmweb live I wanted to get this year but other things came up

It's everything I wanted as a kid ,my first trainset /loco's were all west coast , the APT a class 86 and my brother got a class 58 I even bought a class 90 with my birthday money one year .

Great work

Looking forward to your progress

Brian

• RMweb Gold

I'm not a great video watcher - but this held my attention, TVM. Well edited, too.

Loved the pair of eyes in the crossing barrier sequence. There is, of course, a prototype parallel for this - the last action of the signaller when closing a CCTV crossing is to check the crossing visually, before pressing the "Crossing Clear" button to release signals.

As others have pointed out, the amount of precision scratchbuilding in producing so many headspans is enormous. Patience of a saint!

A remarkable model.

• RMweb Gold

Great layout and thanks for showing us how the catenary joints were done at RM live ;) The APT and all those 58's were particular favourites from trips up to Warrington and visits to the an Uncles farm near a pit in Worksop.

I'm sitting watching your video Shane from a hotel room in Delhi... magic! The APT-P sequences are nice (need some synth music over the top).

Andi, I love the whole concept of this layout. Would love to see the layout in the flesh some time.

Guy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Absolutely stunning layout. Do you have a list of exhibitions you will be attending? Is it a club layout?

Thank you :)

It's a private layout, principally a one man project, that man being me... It has been out three times to different RMweb events which are the only times it has been seen in public, I'm not now expecting it to appear again until it is 'complete' enough to exhibit without calling it a work-in-progress so currently it has no show bookings.

Andi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Right, enough dallying with bits on the side http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94290-a-bit-on-the-side-sometimes-a-quicky-satisfies/and time to get back to where my heart really is...

I haven't really touched Ravens since RICOH, the run into Christmas is stupidly busy workwise for me and I didn't stop from when we got home from Coventry right up until the Sunday before the holiday. January is the exact opposite, I simply don't have any work so it's time for a lot of rest and a bit of modelling. Trouble is that Ravens is out on the garage and it's blooming cold, and certainly not the kind of weather to be getting tents out etc. hence building the quicky to give me an option to play trains indoors. Anyway, the desire to play trains has been sated for the present so it's time to get back to work on the overhead. It's very obvious from Shane's video that there is a huge gap of two boards of the yard area that has no overhead at all, that section is going to feature an overlap on the main-line just to be awkward, this entails a pair of even bigger portals than the usual "heavy" portals as N-brass call them, these are entirely scratchbuilt from brass section and need to span six tracks. Fortunately not all tracks need the overlap, only the two through main line roads. so they only need two weight stacks each. A friend took some detail photos of a set of overlap portals in Stafford for me and these have formed the basis of the structures. Next step now is to build the weight stacks themselves. These won't actually work on these portals, the wire routing from stack to catenary is simply too complex to make work so they will be dummy items, this does at least mean that I don't have to make all the pullies rotate.

post-6674-0-75125500-1421974754.jpg

Also shown here are the remaining normal type heavy portals, I think I've now finally built all the big portals that I need :)

Andi

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Note that the H0 versions are spring-loaded, so effectively functional.

One of the things I'm really trying to do with the layout is get the overhead to look "British" which is subtly different to continental stuff (Sometimes vastly different!) hence everything being scratch built except the basic portals from kits. I've already got working UK design tensioning gear fitted on some section of the layout

Andi

• Like 2