Ravensclyffe

Dagworth

• RMweb Gold

Thanks other Phil too, this is what I built, inspired by the pic that the first Phil linked to.

post-6674-0-14858300-1401223654.jpg

Weathering and finishing still do do but the photo is an afternoon's work

A

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If that's an afternoons work, you've got way too much talent :no:

Ah, perhaps I need to make clear that it's the tunnel portal that is an afternoon's work, there is a before and after photo in my Ravensclyffe thread

A

• RMweb Gold

there is some lovely ornate metalwork on the railings above the tunnel mouth

you can get right close to the portal when walking to the car park via the footbridge on plat 12, next time i walk to the station i'll grab some pics

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Jim, I haven't really decided what will be going above it yet so prototype pics will help with inspiration. 

I'm gradually nicking recognisable scenic features from the London Midland region to incorporate into the layout.

Andi

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks so much Phil, those are excellent for the colours! Love the dereliction of the retaining wall with the old cable trunking just hanging.

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Nearly a disaster this evening, I started adding some wires to long planted portals and realised that one of them was in the wrong place. My portals are fixed by drilling a hole in the baseboard to accept the leg, which passes right through the board. The bottom of the leg is then sealed in with blu-tac under the board and the leg itself and the hole around it are all filled with ballast fixed in place with dilute PVA. Once dry this leaves the portals incredibly firm, so much so that gently twanging a portal will cause it to sound, much like striking a tuning fork. Getting one in the wrong place really is not ideal at this stage, what I'd done was put it about five millimetres to far to the inside of the board on a curve so that all the registration arms were ending on the centre or the inside of the centre line of the track whereas they need to be at the outer limit of acceptance, in my case I use around four mill as my max offset, this allows me to get portals a little better spaced than the correct maximum of 3mm stagger.

I thought for a while that I was going to have to move all the equipment on the portal to compensate, as I didn't think I'd be able to get the portal out to replant it. That's fifteen different soldered drops off the portal, not a pleasant contemplation. Then I started wondering just how feasible getting the damned thing out actually was, and realised that it's only held in by PVA, and that PVA doesn't like heat!. Five minutes with a soldering iron heating the legs just above baseboard level melted the ballast glue very nicely and the portal came out perfectly, this is a really useful discovery as it also means that damaged ones could potentially be removed for repair/replacement if necessary.   

Now all I have to do is recut the holes in the board and I can replant it in the right place.

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

• RMweb Gold

Finally I've been able to plant these masts and wire them, here is the result of the three way mast complete with the knuckle. Thank you so much for the help with this guys, it's nice to know that it is something close to correct.

post-6674-0-40096800-1403395326.jpg

A

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Finally I've been able to plant these masts and wire them, here is the result of the three way mast complete with the knuckle. Thank you so much for the help with this guys, it's nice to know that it is something close to correct.

attachicon.gifP1050003.JPG

A

Hi Badge

Suppose it looks OKish........ :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Getting stock ready for Coventry :) I'm not one of those people who owns more locos than wagons...

post-6674-0-91795300-1408384821.jpg

That's 228 (I think!) HAAs in sets ready to go. They are either in permanently coupled sets of ten or sets of five or single wagons, some of which are tail light fitted. All are in the process of being made "track circuit friendly" that entails having their wheels made into resistive conducting wheelsets, I'm about a third of the way through that but it's quite a quick job with a resistive paint from Uhlenbrock. I've done all the coaching stock now, but there's a LOT more freight stock still upstairs to do as well.

Still a lot of weathering to do on these

Andi

• Like 8

Great work on the tunnel mouth and cutting area, im looking forward to seeing it in a rundown state with all those pipes and cables hanging everywhere.

and Wow ,that's some collection of HAA's .

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Am I drunk or is everyone else seeing 228 HAA hoppers?!!!??

There's another ten somewhere that got lost in transit back to me! I believe I have the worlds largest private collection of HAAs, and I think I now have more than still exist of the real thing.

Andi

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Getting stock ready for Coventry :) I'm not one of those people who owns more locos than wagons...

attachicon.gifhaas.jpg

That's 228 (I think!) HAAs in sets ready to go. They are either in permanently coupled sets of ten or sets of five or single wagons, some of which are tail light fitted. All are in the process of being made "track circuit friendly" that entails having their wheels made into resistive conducting wheelsets, I'm about a third of the way through that but it's quite a quick job with a resistive paint from Uhlenbrock. I've done all the coaching stock now, but there's a LOT more freight stock still upstairs to do as well.

Still a lot of weathering to do on these

Andi

Hi Badge

Do they all have different numbers?