Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

TV Shows / Films That Nobody Else Seems to Remember?!

Ray Von

6 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

And the undertaker in Billy Liar.

Also the undertaker in "Oliver" - love the quote when he comes home pi#£ed and the wife nags him as to his absence. "I met a friend at the cemetery...." Been known to use that one once or twice myself.

16 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

And the undertaker in Billy Liar.

Indeed, and Tom Courtenay in King Rat too. But not in the top ten Len Rossiter roles to be honest Bernie? 

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Also "Marine Boy" another redubbed Japanese series.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Boy

Oh No Rich!  I thought I had expunged it from my memory!

Some of the great Gerry Anderson's early stuff was pretty awful; Twizzle for instance, and Torchy

Edited by DLT

• RMweb Premium

How about Adventure Weekly? 

A group of kids running their own newspaper, and getting into Famous Five-ish escapades, uncovering criminal gangs and conspiracies under the noses of the dim and disbelieving adults.

• RMweb Premium
On 23/09/2020 at 14:35, jonny777 said:

I remember something from children's TV called Serendipity, which IIRC involved a large shiny computer/robot 'thing' (or did I just dream it/have I just made it up)?

I remember that too.  A sort-or scientific Blue Peter, with a live audience of kids, presented by John Earle?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DLT said:

Oh No Rich!  I thought I had expunged it from my memory!

Some of the great Gerry Anderson's early stuff was pretty awful; Twizzle for instance, and Torchy

UFO was a pretty hard watch frankly. There was also a film on Freeview recently that had Anderson's mark all over it, pretty dire. 

Then again I grow increasingly disillusioned with the Connery Bond films. So yeah. 

Conversely, I love Captain Scarlet and all its effects, script and plot. Go figure. 

C6T. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, DLT said:

How about Adventure Weekly? 

A group of kids running their own newspaper, and getting into Famous Five-ish escapades, uncovering criminal gangs and conspiracies under the noses of the dim and disbelieving adults.

Nineties version was called Press Gang and basically seemed to forego actual youth interest journalism for the relationship (yawn) between characters played by yet to be famous Dexter Fletcher (now voicing McDonald's ads) and - pre Saffy in AbFab - Julia Sawalha, who I fancied like crazy. Sigh. 

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I'd forgotten Bootsy and Smudge, a sort of British Bilko.

Bootsie & Snudge (ITV) (Alfie Bass & Bill Fraser)

It was a spin off of the Army Game (ITV) where two of the characters are employed in a Pall Mall gentleman's club after de-mob. Also in the series was Clive Dunn aged 38 playing an 83 year old.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Nineties version was called Press Gang and basically seemed to forego actual youth interest journalism for the relationship (yawn) between characters played by yet to be famous Dexter Fletcher (now voicing McDonald's ads) and - pre Saffy in AbFab - Julia Sawalha, who I fancied like crazy. Sigh. 

C6T. 

Where she developed that withering, disapproving look that was her permanent expression in AbFab

• RMweb Premium

Heh. Odd lockdown madness I guess , but reading through that lot drags up odd memories. Now , I haven't had a television in the house for the last 25 years, to quote C.P. Scott, "

Television? The word is half Greek, half Latin. No good can come of it." 

But from my youth I have an earworm. There was a version of Robinson Crusoe, in black and white. At least I assume it was in black and white, but since we only had a black and white telly I might be wrong. The series dragged on for what seemed like hundreds of episodes, but it was the music that has stuck in my head all these years. 

Anyway all this led me to look it up, and lo there it is. 

Anyway, music added to iTunes, so there for my dotage. Thanks all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Reminds me - probably the most forgotten Gerry Anderson show must be 'Secret Service' with the Stanley Unwin inspired vicar character....

Good lord....  (No, not going to translate that into Unwinese)

One of the more forgettable GA products, that and Joe90.  Coming after the SIG Captain Scarlett, they were truely dire.

4 hours ago, Andrew F said:

It was called Space Precinct wasn't it? with the lovely Simone Bendix who was Verity in The Crow Road.

Space Precinct was from the end of Andersons career, only one series and then canned because the US networks couldn't make head nor tail of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Precinct

4 hours ago, steve1 said:

Space Patrol - A sub-Gerry Anderson sci-fi puppet show. Visibly made on a much lower budget... 1960s

Space Patrol was made by a former associate of Gerry Anderson, written and produced by Roberta Leigh who cooked up "The Adventures of Twizzel" with Gerry Anderson...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Patrol_(1962_TV_series)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Taz said:

Anyone remember the kids program Trap Door from the early eighties? Plasticine animation.

‘Don’t you open that trap door,

you’re a fool if you dare,

Stay away from that trap door 

cos there’s something down there’.   I seem to remember a gay skull called Boney, but that might have been something else.   

• Agree 1

From down here I can name a whole Wallabies pouch full of TV series that no one there will remember!

Just a couple of note:

Spyforce, an early '70's series set in the  Pacific theatre during WW2. It starred  Jack Thompson, who played some kind of blokey SAS style  soldier who was always getting sent behind  enemy lines to do derring do stuff and sticking it to "The J@ps". They sure went through a lot of Japanese extras each episode.

Another from 73-74 was "The Evil Touch", a kind of downunder Twilight Zone. Interesting only because although Australian it was meant for the US market so included US actors as the main roles, including a young Leslie Neilson as well as Vic Morrow.  Sylvester Stallone wrote an episode.

All the local cast put on fake American accents and cars were left-hand drive when they could get them, driven on the wrong side of the road for that American feel. When they couldn't get enough LH Drive cars , they replaced street signs etc with copies written in reverse, used right hand drive cars  then printed  the film in reverse. Each episode was introduced by Anthony Quaille who never came here but phoned it in from the UK.

In the mid 90's another series in the same vein was produced, using local lad Bryan Brown to introduce it now that we'd got over our feelings of inadequacy. Remembered mainly because of Kimberly Davies from Neighbours spending an episode in PVC.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

‘Don’t you open that trap door,

you’re a fool if you dare,

Stay away from that trap door 

cos there’s something down there’.   I seem to remember a gay skull called Boney, but that might have been something else.   

Boni. I think it's meant to be a Shakespearian skull....

Voiced by Willie Rushton and done by people who later did things like Wallace and Gromit.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Tom & Jerry  ... repeated ad nauseum,

Yes, but I could take the original Tom and Jerry any time. The best cartoons ever.

A small number can be seen on Youtube.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

From down here I can name a whole Wallabies pouch full of TV series that no one there will remember!

Just a couple of note:

Spyforce, an early '70's series set in the  Pacific theatre during WW2. It starred  Jack Thompson, who played some kind of blokey SAS style  soldier who was always getting sent behind  enemy lines to do derring do stuff and sticking it to "The J@ps". They sure went through a lot of Japanese extras each episode.

Another from 73-74 was "The Evil Touch", a kind of downunder Twilight Zone. Interesting only because although Australian it was meant for the US market so included US actors as the main roles, including a young Leslie Neilson as well as Vic Morrow.  Sylvester Stallone wrote an episode.

All the local cast put on fake American accents and cars were left-hand drive when they could get them, driven on the wrong side of the road for that American feel. When they couldn't get enough LH Drive cars , they replaced street signs etc with copies written in reverse, used right hand drive cars  then printed  the film in reverse. Each episode was introduced by Anthony Quaille who never came here but phoned it in from the UK.

In the mid 90's another series in the same vein was produced, using local lad Bryan Brown to introduce it now that we'd got over our feelings of inadequacy. Remembered mainly because of Kimberly Davies from Neighbours spending an episode in PVC.

I remember 'The Evil Touch'. Just had a look on Youtube at "The Lake".

2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Yes, but I could take the original Tom and Jerry any time. The best cartoons ever.

A small number can be seen on Youtube.

My daughter recently finished her degree, concentrating on animation, and she reckons that early Tom & Jerry is still held up as an example of stunningly good production, even 70 years on.

• Like 6

The lively American HR Pufnstuff series with Jack Wild,  could be described as a Pantomime in the style of the Muppet Show.  McDonalds copied the concept and  were  sued  and lost heavily.

Adult size puppets in costumes,  the Wicked Witch was the best character,

Edited by Pandora
  • Like 2