New Forum Software

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

On my iMac running Safari clicking on the topic title used to take me to the first unread posting well, but IIRC only if I was looking at the New Content list.  Now the only way to see the first unread post, regardless of which list I'm looking at or which device I'm using, is to tap the dot next to the topic title.  That's really quite difficult on a phone (Android/Chrome) with fattish fingers.

I'd vote for "clicking on the topic title takes you first unread", if only on the New Content list i.e. other views could stay with the dot for unread content.

If you had read all the posts you would have found this.

3 hours ago, OhOh said:

I've done it like this:

- click the down arrow next to your username in the top right of the screen

- account settings

-content view behaviour

-take me to content I haven't read

-save

Then just clicking on the thread title (as opposed to the dot or star) will take you to the first post you've not read.

Gra

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Working very well for me now.

One navigation issue though, which I haven't seen reported: On my Windows 10 laptop, the Activity Stream dropdown overshoots the screen height (in Chrome and Edge both). So I effectively can't access my custom activity streams, as the standard streams seem to take up all the space. Didn't seem to be a problem before, maybe text size and spacing has changed?

Ikke-navngivet.jpg.0cf36e5319c6d4f414d506a9b30f0f24.jpg

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Didn't seem to be a problem before, maybe text size and spacing has changed?

It could be, I'll try and look behind it but does the stream dropdown disappear if you try to scroll further down to see the Custom Streams?

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

yes it disappears.

Thought as much. :huh:

It's the spacing, if I can find the class and not impact anything else it should be possible to change it. It's one aspect where they've tried to give space for fat fingers on mobiles and caused a different issue.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Simond said:

Yep, the <edit> button seems to have ‘opped it.

It's moved; several people noted it in posts yesterday. Look to the top right of your posts.

• RMweb Gold
On 30/09/2020 at 21:35, GWR57xx said:

Hi Andy,

re the ipad issue, I tried it on my better half's slightly newer ipad and it all worked fine :blush:.

I'm trying a reboot of my old ipad to see if that clears the problem.

Edit: nope - my old ipad (IOS 9.3.6 is as far as it will go) still doesn't display properly.

The missus' newer ipad is on IOS 12.4.8 (still quite old!) and works fine.

I guess I'll just have to relegate my ipad to use as a chopping board and upgrade...

It worked perfectly well with the previous software though.

Hi Andy,

I don't know if this information will be of any use to you or anyone in a similar situation.

My ipad that refuses to display images turns out to be an ipad 3 from 2012 (model A1430)!

It's been fine up til now, but since I do most of my RMWeb browsing on it rather than the PC I can't continue without being able to see images so a brand new ipad 8 is on order :).

Thanks for all your efforts.

Andy,

Thanks for your work in upgrading the forum to a new level. Not always an easy task on some software platforms but one which seems to have been achieved within the constraints of the current one.

May I table some ongoing thoughts of low overall priority in ensuring the seamless running of the Forum but which may be of use in the longer term?

In 'View new content', we have :

- the solid dot for general 'goto first unread post'

- the solid star for 'goto first unread post on which we have commented'

Could we have a solid square (for example) to 'goto first post since we last visited the thread'? The purpose is to remind us that we have been on this thread before, albeit without commenting, whilst the solid dot suggests that we have not.

Also, I appreciate that you have had to make modifications so that 'View New Content' only shows the latest post; is it possible to offer the full list of new content since you last looked? (Thought: cookie last time viewed new content, load everything since).

• RMweb Premium
On 30/09/2020 at 15:19, MarkSG said:

To add to the list of things which aren't working quite right after the upgrade: Notification emails are being truncated - seemingly randomly, and even chopped off in the middle of a word!

This is still happening and makes browsing new posts through your email very frustrating, can it be fixed so we can read the entire new post via email notifications as before?

• Agree 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, BokStein said:

'go to first post since we last visited the thread

That's what the solid dot gives, if it's greyed out it means you've read all posts.

The solid star means it's a topic you have posted in.

• Agree 2

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

This is still happening and makes browsing new posts through your email very frustrating, can it be fixed so we can read the entire new post via email notifications as before?

The notification should really be just that - a notification that you have a reply etc. so I can't see them updating that with any urgency.

22 hours ago, dhjgreen said:

If you had read all the posts you would have found this.

Thank you for pointing that out.  It's not always easy to spot a specific useful posting when trying to speed-read a thread that's covering quite a wide range of issues, often with rapid-fire interactions going on.

I've no recollection of having set that account option before so it looks like it's a permanent change in the forum software's functionality.  I was actually hoping that Andy would be able to say that he's worked out why the functionality had changed and had changed it back, but it seems that is not to be.

Another thing: is it my imagination, or has the layout of the header at the top of each page of a thread changed?  I don't recall the thread title & author being in a separate frame before:

1367635084_Screenshot2020-10-03at11_52_18.png.ae11450286b5789106609caa57fea38f.png

My recollection is that the "Start new topic", "Ignore this topic" and "Reply to this topic" links/buttons previously resided above the thread title, with the thread title frame more integrated with the rest of the body of the thread.  Or am I mistaken?  Either way, I'll no doubt get used to it over time, but for now it feels like a bit of a hiccup in the way my eyes are used to scanning the page.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

It's not always easy to spot a specific useful posting when trying to speed-read a thread that's covering quite a wide range of issues, often with rapid-fire interactions going on.

It isn't but when you've got several people keep asking the same or similar questions it's evident that several people weren't reading and whilst I'm off sorting other issues others may offer a response in my absence pointing out the answer's already there - it makes the job a bit harder! It's tempting to ignore something if it's not already been answered.

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

The notification should really be just that - a notification that you have a reply etc. so I can't see them updating that with any urgency.

Is it not a configurable setting somewhere, and all that's changed is that what used to be the default is no longer the default, so it needs to be explicitly switched back?

The truncated messages certainly make the notifications less useful to me. I'm finding that I'm missing comments that I would have been interested in, and would have liked to reply to (or acknowledge with a "like" or "agree"), because the content of the notification (which can sometimes just be a single word!) doesn't give enough of a clue about what the comment is about. And clicking through to the site to read the comment there every time I get a notification isn't the answer, because I have work to do and spending all my day on RMweb is not particularly productive! So, as a result, I'm actually spending less time on the site than I used to, because if I can't tell from the notification whether a comment is worth clicking through then my default assumption has to be that none of them are.

It's an irritation more than a critical bug, so I can appreciate that it's more important to fix some of the other issues that people have mentioned. But, still, it would be nice to get this fixed too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

Is it not a configurable setting somewhere,

No, if it was I'd have done it. It needs scripting and I haven't got the time available at present.

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

That's what the solid dot gives, if it's greyed out it means you've read all posts.

The solid star means it's a topic you have posted in.

I thought you'd say that!

I was thinking more along the lines of solid dot - haven't read the thread, solid square - have read but not commented with them greyed out as normal on all three bullets.

Like the separate edit button as well as the hidden one behind ...

Edited by BokStein

• RMweb Gold
On 01/10/2020 at 10:34, AY Mod said:

The solution to this involves me creating a new theme; I've started work on it and you can give it a try by going to the bottom of the page; click on Theme and select RMweb 2021 from the dropdown. This may enable me to solve some other issues.

Reading through thread from post 1 onwards. As this change fixed the issues I had noted perhaps worth adding a header prompt about ensuring it is selected. My choice showing before the swap was 2019 Gold Member.

Whilst I don’t particularly like some of the changes, such as the shifted edit button placement, the functions I couldn’t find/make work (like the choice of default page setting) have come back with the theme swap.

Edited by john new
Updated the answer to be more accurate.

I appreciate that you have had to make modifications so that 'View New Content' only shows the latest post; is it possible to offer the full list of new content since you last looked? (Thought: cookie last time viewed new content, load everything since).

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, BokStein said:

I appreciate that you have had to make modifications so that 'View New Content' only shows the latest post; is it possible to offer the full list of new content since you last looked? (Thought: cookie last time viewed new content, load everything since).

Conversely the list with multiple headers for posts into the same thread was one of the issues I was trying to get rid of, so for me NO leave it as it is.

• Agree 1