Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

• RMweb Premium

I got my booster jab this morning.  I'd been worried about leaving the safety of my house to go to the medical centre in the township as Omicron infections have been steady rising, but the receptionist very kindly made me the first appointment of the morning so I could come in when it was quiet and there weren't many people about.  When Cyclone Dovi went through over the weekend it took all the horrible hot humid weather we'd been having with it.  The temperature was 18 degrees when I walked to the medical centre this morning and the streets were deserted which was completely perfect as far as I'm concerned.  Since I haven't been out of the house for the past couple of months it felt a bit strange though.  I've been mainly sleeping during the day and being awake at night so being out in the sunlight didn't really feel right.  I coped though and my skin didn't start burning up or anything so it seems like I haven't undergone any strange transformations without me knowing about it.  Masks are compulsory when out in public so I wore my nice blue cloth floral one with a new filter fitted inside it.

Feral anti vaxxers and freedumbers have been harassing people wearing masks; - including schoolchildren, - with one really bad instance where a 17 year old girl was pelted with eggs by anti-vaxxers leaving her badly frightened in the aftermath.  After I got my jab the nurse asked me if I wanted a 'I got vaxxed' sticker and when she hesitated warning me about people being harassed I said I've got a good stout walking stick here I'd like to see them try and firmly pressed the sticker onto my cardigan.

The walk back home was pleasant though I was still wasn't sure about that bright yellow thing up in the sky and I didn't get to break any anti-vaxxer heads either which is just as well really since my daughter wouldn't have let me out on my own ever again.  I was tired out even though I'd enjoyed my walk and after a cup of tea I curled up in bed and slept for eight hours straight dreaming all kind of strange dreams.

For folk like me who live with chronic illness and have a dodgy immune system Omicron getting into the country is a major concern.  The freedumbers and anti-vaxxers have been saying (among other incomprehensible and stupid slogans) 'Let it rip,' meaning that once everybody has had Omicron we won't have to worry any more because everyone will be immune, - so just throw open the borders and forget about taking precautions.  What these peabrains fail to realise that with the COVID virus now rapidly and constantly mutating and evolving that just plain isn't going to happen and the COVID virus is going to be with us for years to come.  Anyway I won't rant on about it anymore since it's not exactly breaking news and you would have heard it all before.

Edited by Annie
can't spell for toffee
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

Anyone wishing to be even more disturbed by the disturbing state of the world than they are already might wish to listen to a series of programmes on Radio 4 (all on iPlayer) called “The Coming Storm”, which is a delve into the origins of all the weird/bizarre beliefs that permeate US society, how they arise, and how they spread. It’s effectively an examination of the roots of the madness taking over the world.

Its the %s of the population who believe the most bizarre things that is really concerning. Not 1 or 2%, but 25%, 40% etc, latching onto the weirdest stuff imaginable.

All deeply anti-democratic, naturally, because the infant mind clings to the certainty that some “other” (Parent Substitute, God, Trump, The Military, WtFK) will save it from all its terrors, take all the difficulties of life away, give it a cuddle, and tuck it into bed. Consumerist Autocracy was invented for the infant mind, it serves it perfectly.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

It was also interesting to watch Louis Theroux over the weekend, there are some very strange people out there, with views that are almost built on things that could, perhaps, be believable, to those without a mind that can balance arguments. 

The worrying thing is that the internet allows these people to broadcast to all the gullible people in the world...

Andy G

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Well if you want weird the anti-vaxxers and their allied nutters were posting on social media that our government had used a highly classified satellite weapon to maneuverer the heavy rain associated with Cyclone Dovi directly over their protest rally outside parliament buildings in Wellington. 

As Kevin has said there are well know psychological reasons why people of no great intelligence will cling to the absurd in stressful situations in an effort to find some form of comforting reassurance that all will be well.  Faced with a global pandemic that might not end for many years the speed with which the absurd is being generated is bewildering.  Instant communication via the internet and mobile phones is only serving to make the situation worse.

Edited by Annie
can't spell for toffee
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 hours ago, wagonman said:

As one who has spent 24 years as a parish councillor, 12 of them as chairman, I am only too aware of the limitations placed upon us!

Have you found a way to escape? If you do, would you let me know please?

Best wishes 

Eric

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I think that the combination of the pandemic and the now-obviousness of climate change have tipped all this over the edge. It’s quite clear that the people who find both hardest to believe, too terrible to contemplate, cling to three stands: denial; externalisation/blaming; and, parent-figure saviours.

And some days, when it comes to climate change, I have to say that I get tempted to stick my fingers in my ears, and sing La-La-La. It is mind-bending to contemplate, not for ourselves, but for our children.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, Annie said:

I got my booster jab this morning.  I'd been worried about leaving the safety of my house to go to the medical centre in the township as Omicron infections have been steady rising, but the receptionist very kindly made me the first appointment of the morning so I could come in when it was quiet and there weren't many people about.  When Cyclone Dovi went through over the weekend it took all the horrible hot humid weather we'd been having with it.  The temperature was 18 degrees when I walked to the medical centre this morning and the streets were deserted which was completely perfect as far as I'm concerned.  Since I haven't been out of the house for the past couple of months it felt a bit strange though.  I've been mainly sleeping during the day and being awake at night so being out in the sunlight didn't really feel right.  I coped though and my skin didn't start burning up or anything so it seems like I haven't undergone any strange transformations without me knowing about it.  Masks are compulsory when out in public so I wore my nice blue cloth floral one with a new filter fitted inside it.

Feral anti vaxxers and freedumbers have been harassing people wearing masks; - including schoolchildren, - with one really bad instance where a 17 year old girl was pelted with eggs by anti-vaxxers leaving her badly frightened in the aftermath.  After I got my jab the nurse asked me if I wanted a 'I got vaxxed' sticker and when she hesitated warning me about people being harassed I said I've got a good stout walking stick here I'd like to see them try and firmly pressed the sticker onto my cardigan.

The walk back home was pleasant though I was still wasn't sure about that bright yellow thing up in the sky and I didn't get to break any anti-vaxxer heads either which is just as well really since my daughter wouldn't have let me out on my own ever again.  I was tired out even though I'd enjoyed my walk and after a cup of tea I curled up in bed and slept for eight hours straight dreaming all kind of strange dreams.

For folk like me who live with chronic illness and have a dodgy immune system Omicron getting into the country is a major concern.  The freedumbers and anti-vaxxers have been saying (among other incomprehensible and stupid slogans) 'Let it rip,' meaning that once everybody has had Omicron we won't have to worry any more because everyone will be immune, - so just throw open the borders and forget about taking precautions.  What these peabrains fail to realise that with the COVID virus now rapidly and constantly mutating and evolving that just plain isn't going to happen and the COVID virus is going to be with us for years to come.  Anyway I won't rant on about it anymore since it's not exactly breaking news and you would have heard it all before.

Incredible that the ant-vaxxers actually attack and harass mask-wearers. I don't think we've descended to that level here, though Chris Whitty, our chief MO, was famously jostled in a London park.

This morning I had to listen to NoVax Jokeovic justifying his position on my radio. Despite all the soft reasonable language  and his insistence that he respects the vaccine programmes, it still boiled down to a preparedness to but his perception of his best interests ahead of public health. 

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Anyone wishing to be even more disturbed by the disturbing state of the world than they are already might wish to listen to a series of programmes on Radio 4 (all on iPlayer) called “The Coming Storm”, which is a delve into the origins of all the weird/bizarre beliefs that permeate US society, how they arise, and how they spread. It’s effectively an examination of the roots of the madness taking over the world.

It was an excellent series, and so full of fascinating detail that I actually listened through twice.   

Its the %s of the population who believe the most bizarre things that is really concerning. Not 1 or 2%, but 25%, 40% etc, latching onto the weirdest stuff imaginable.

All deeply anti-democratic, naturally, because the infant mind clings to the certainty that some “other” (Parent Substitute, God, Trump, The Military, WtFK) will save it from all its terrors, take all the difficulties of life away, give it a cuddle, and tuck it into bed. Consumerist Autocracy was invented for the infant mind, it serves it perfectly.

Ah yes, the infant mind ....

_methode_times_prod_web_bin_7ab2f3c2-de46-11eb-bac0-9597568b601f.jpg.bdb5cc6d96d46e4367e304c454063e95.jpg

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

And not so much of the former...

Though, this may prove of some assistance if attempting to create the latter.

51MBc0G9SzS.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

There was a bunch of anti-vaxxers in Exeter on Saturday lunchtime waving banners including 'ban jabs for kids - honk if you're concerned '. I was stopped at traffic lights for a couple of minutes and, gratifyingly, didn't hear a single honk. So I wound down my window and pointed out they had no support as I passed. Maybe slightly cowardly as they couldn't respond but I got a little bit of satisfaction from it... ;)

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 6
  • Funny 1

25 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Why was my first thought on seeing that image: I do hope there’s a massive flight of stairs at the end of that corridor?

A but unkind of me, really.

New funding for stairs had been announced in 2019 as part of the Take Back the Stairs initiative, although funding for ramps and lifts received a commensurate cut at the same time. Then the UQIS (Unaccountable Quango of Indeterminate Status) charged with Stair Fulfilment on behalf of the Government was scrapped, necessitating its entire workforce to reapply for their jobs and return to work the next day wearing a different coloured badge.  Without any work on stairs commencing in the meantime, in 2022 a further announcement of further new funding for stairs (which was, in fact, the same money previously announced repackaged as additional funding) was announced as part of the Climbing Up initiative, while contracts were put out to tender for a multi-million pound re-branding of the UQIS now responsible and awarded to a mate of someone the PM was sleeping with, which in turn outsourced the stair construction contract to a hedge-fund manager Matt Hancock went to university with. To date, no new stairs have been constructed however, the mandarins of the Administrative Civil Service have done an excellent job of showing how none of them could possibly be to blame for anything. Ever. So, there is nothing in front of the man on the bicycle save the Gaping Hole of Unfulfilled Promises.  

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 9
  • Funny 3

17 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Would be funny if not so true.

I still haven't work out the raptor / hobbit post. What have I missed?

It appears the conflation of several things that revolve around New Zealand.

Robert Muldoon was both a New Zealand politician and a character in Jurassic Park, hence the raptor reference.

The Lord of the Ring's trilogy was also filmed in New Zealand. What may be referenced here is when the National party led government of the day, alarmed at the prospect that the production company, would film elsewhere rather than indulge in collective bargaining with unions, brought in the so-called  “Hobbit law”. This effectively bars film workers from unionizing by categorizing them as independent contractors rather than employees.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

And some days, when it comes to climate change, I have to say that I get tempted to stick my fingers in my ears, and sing La-La-La. It is mind-bending to contemplate, not for ourselves, but for our children.

I forgot climate change.  With the shift in global weather patterns it's really common now for us to get other people's second hand  storms/cyclones coming down from the tropics.  The weather people used to talk about '100 year storms' or '100 year floods', but they don't do that anymore now.  Summers in our part of the Waikato are getting warmer and drought conditions over Summer are now a regular yearly event.

3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

.........take all the difficulties of life away, give it a cuddle, and tuck it into bed.

After reading this I fell asleep for a couple hours and dreamed of endless cute cuddly toys with 10 cent price labels.

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Incredible that the ant-vaxxers actually attack and harass mask-wearers. I don't think we've descended to that level here,

There's an awareness here that groups such as white supremacists and Trump influenced republicans have infiltrated the anti-vaxxers.  At the so far week long protest outside parliament protesters have been seen waving nooses and carrying placards saying they want to kill politicians including our PM.  New Zealand has seem many protests outside parliament over the years, but nothing as nasty as this one.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Do the Russians bother stirring up trouble down your way? I ask, because we are lucky enough to be targeted by both Trumpites, and Muscovites, although where one ends and the other begins is itself a moot point. Suffice to say, a lot of ‘fomenting of discontent’. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, burgundy said:

Have you found a way to escape? If you do, would you let me know please?

Best wishes 

Eric

After dropping increasingly broad hints, when the next election came round I didn't put in my papers. I was lucky to have a competent vice chairman, though he too baled out after a couple of years. So far I haven't felt the need to move out of the area!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Do the Russians bother stirring up trouble down your way?

No we usually get the Chinese sneaking around from time to time, but there's been no evidence to suggest that they've been involved with either the Freedumbers or the Anti-vaxxers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rocor said:

What may be referenced here is when the National party led government of the day, alarmed at the prospect that the production company, would film elsewhere rather than indulge in collective bargaining with unions, brought in the so-called  “Hobbit law”. This effectively bars film workers from unionizing by categorizing them as independent contractors rather than employees. 

Yes, as I recall those were the terms Bilbo Baggins had with Thorin Oakenshield. 

But I can imagine unionised dwarves. 

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, Annie said:

I have read on Twitter the proposition that the woman's husband might have done it deliberately to escape from her.

My 'Round of applause' was for him!  Clever trick!

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 2