The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Do you put butter under your marmalade when eating marmalade on toast?

Florence Locomotive Works

Do you put butter under your marmalade when eating marmalade on toast?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Do you put butter under your marmalade when eating marmalade on toast?

36 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I notice this topic is 'Hot', which of course is how your toast should be, when you apply any topping at all.

Cold toast is so disgusting!

If you have cold toast, make some soup, cut the toast into small squares and float it in the soup. Then eat!

Mmmmmmmm...  Think I'll do that for lunch, its the sort of day that deserves it!

• Agree 2

Mrs NorthBrit prefers  we have   ---

4 eggs

2 tbsp white wine vinegar

2 English muffins, halved

a little butter, for spreading

8 slices smoked salmon

chopped chives, to serve

For the hollandaise sauce

2 tsp lemon juice

2 tsp white wine vinegar

3 egg yolks

125g unsalted butter, diced

Method

STEP 1

First make the Hollandaise sauce. Put the lemon juice and vinegar in a small bowl, add the egg yolks and whisk with a balloon whisk until light and frothy. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk until mixture thickens. Gradually add the butter, whisking constantly until thick – if it looks like it might be splitting, then whisk off the heat for a few mins. Season and keep warm.

STEP 2

To poach the eggs, bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the vinegar. Lower the heat so that the water is simmering gently. Stir the water so you have a slight whirlpool, then slide in the eggs one by one. Cook each for about 4 mins, then remove with a slotted spoon.

STEP 3

Lightly toast and butter the muffins, then put a couple of slices of salmon on each half. Top each with an egg, spoon over some Hollandaise and garnish with chopped chives.

Happy Breakfast.

• Like 3

Several years ago switched to breakfast muffins rather than toast, they can take spread or butter when hot and still stay firm. Marmalade of choice is Tiptree orange and lime, haven't found another jam maker that produces that combo. I tend to go to the Tiptree shop in Tiptree, Essex and buy in bulk, as few shops sell it, although our local garden centre has it sometimes.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, pH said:

No, no, no!!!!

I won't even use a knife that's previously been used for butter to put marmalade on toast. (Other than that, I have no irrational phobias.)

Do you segregate the knives after washing so that you know which ones were previously used for butter and which are still pure?

I use a spoon to take the marmalade (or preferably jam) out of the jar, then spread it with the same knife. Avoids getting either butter or crumbs in the jar, which can cause mould to start growing. 

7 hours ago, dhjgreen said:

We do not keep butter in the fridge it is quite happy in a butter dish on the worktop.  Never had it go rancid, does not last long enough.

Ours lives in the larder most of the year,  just in the fridge in the summer. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Nick C said:

...snip... Avoids getting either butter or crumbs in the jar, which can cause mould to start growing.  ...snip...

Not a problem here, the marmalade would be long gone before any mold could form! :yahoo_mini:

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, NorthBrit said:

Mrs NorthBrit prefers  we have   ---

4 eggs

2 tbsp white wine vinegar

2 English muffins, halved

a little butter, for spreading

8 slices smoked salmon

chopped chives, to serve

For the hollandaise sauce

2 tsp lemon juice

2 tsp white wine vinegar

3 egg yolks

125g unsalted butter, diced

Method

STEP 1

First make the Hollandaise sauce. Put the lemon juice and vinegar in a small bowl, add the egg yolks and whisk with a balloon whisk until light and frothy. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk until mixture thickens. Gradually add the butter, whisking constantly until thick – if it looks like it might be splitting, then whisk off the heat for a few mins. Season and keep warm.

STEP 2

To poach the eggs, bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the vinegar. Lower the heat so that the water is simmering gently. Stir the water so you have a slight whirlpool, then slide in the eggs one by one. Cook each for about 4 mins, then remove with a slotted spoon.

STEP 3

Lightly toast and butter the muffins, then put a couple of slices of salmon on each half. Top each with an egg, spoon over some Hollandaise and garnish with chopped chives.

Happy Breakfast.

Do you put marmalade on that?

Edited by Talltim
  • Funny 1

I ponder how many of the Marmite haters are fans of Real Ale!

11 hours ago, Hroth said:

I've not used butter for years.  Not for "health" reasons, merely because "low fat spreads"* are easier to use straight from the fridge. So a scrape of axle grease followed by a dob of coarse cut orange marmalade does the trick!

(I've not tried applying marmalade to toast coated with peanut butter, however...)

* Referred to in this household as "Axle Grease"

Butter does not need to be spread; on toast, slices will quickly melt to give the desired experience.

Toast (hot) + butter = melted platform on which to apply the Marmalade of whatever flavour.

• Agree 1

Toast is served hot, straight from the toaster, not in those abominations Brits use known as toast racks. Cut a thick slice of bread, not pre-sliced, preferably fresh baked from locally grown grains (easy here, got millions of millions of hectares of the stuff). Toast. Spread with slightly softened butter, then the topping of choice. It’s okay to spread peanut butter or chocolate spread directly onto the toast without buttering first. Peanut butter has to be made from 100% peanuts, no added palm oil or sugar. Same with the chocolate spread, 100% hazelnuts and cocoa and maybe olive, canola or sunflower oil.  Toppings for peanut butter include honey, strawberry jam, raspberry jam or chocolate.

Vegemite and Marmite — ugh!  Fortunately usually not found in our local grocery stores. 

It can be difficult being me sometimes.  Time to sweep the snow off the sidewalk and burn off all those calories. 

cheers,

Malcolm 

Calgary, Alberta

3 hours ago, malcolmt said:

Toast is served hot, straight from the toaster, not in those abominations Brits use known as toast racks. Cut a thick slice of bread, not pre-sliced, preferably fresh baked from locally grown grains (easy here, got millions of millions of hectares of the stuff). Toast. Spread with slightly softened butter, then the topping of choice. It’s okay to spread peanut butter or chocolate spread directly onto the toast without buttering first. Peanut butter has to be made from 100% peanuts, no added palm oil or sugar. Same with the chocolate spread, 100% hazelnuts and cocoa and maybe olive, canola or sunflower oil.  Toppings for peanut butter include honey, strawberry jam, raspberry jam or chocolate.

Vegemite and Marmite — ugh!  Fortunately usually not found in our local grocery stores. 

It can be difficult being me sometimes.  Time to sweep the snow off the sidewalk and burn off all those calories. 

cheers,

Malcolm 

Calgary, Alberta

I toast the 'raw' bread under an electric grill element; couple of minutes on both sides serves well. As there is no such thing as a peanut, this is not on the menu (it is a legume and NOT a nut!), but Marmite, marmalade and other toppings are applied after a copious amount of salted butter has been allowed to soak into the toast.

Edited by BokStein
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Marmite goes with everything.

spacer.png

You missed a word out!

"Marmite goes badly with everything."  :jester:

Yes, I've tried marmite chocolate, its rather like that "salted caramel" lark...  :bad:

We don't use animal products in my house so no butter here (Flora Buttery is fine though), but I wouldn't dream of having marmalade without a layer of grease separating it from the toast.

As for marmite, that's absolutely fine on toast as far as I'm concerned, subject only to the restriction that it must not, under any circumstances, be toast which I am going to eat.

Edited by Zomboid
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

While we're on the subject of toast, I noticed the other day that @The Black Hat had a quote from Sting's 'Englishman in New York' as a status update. That song includes the line "I like my toast done on one side", implying that was a common preference amongst the English - yet I don't think I've ever met anyone who does so.

Does anyone actually like their toast done on just one side?

Yes I like toast done on one side BUT it must be freshly, thickly sliced bread, not pre sliced. Preferably from a local bakery.

When I was younger I could get through half a loaf easily, sitting in front of a coal fire using a toasting fork, get it well done, slight charring is perfectly acceptable in my book, as the whole slice warms thoroughly. Plenty of butter and marmalade, just beware of the drips.

There used to be a café in Derby, opposite the infirmary on London Road. It advertised 'Derby's thickest toast'. The slices were two inches or more thick, done under a grill both sides. Butter dish and jars of marmalade and jam on the tables to help yourself to as much as you wanted, super! Hygiene regulations would make it an absolute no no now. Two slices set me up for the day.

A couple of us took a new workmate there one day. He said he was hungry so ordered two toast and a sausage sandwich which came with similar sized slices of bread! We both had a little snigger to ourselves when he found out what he'd taken on, pretty much a whole standard loaf!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

While we're on the subject of toast, I noticed the other day that @The Black Hat had a quote from Sting's 'Englishman in New York' as a status update. That song includes the line "I like my toast done on one side", implying that was a common preference amongst the English - yet I don't think I've ever met anyone who does so.

Me neither.

When I was young, my parents had a non-automatic, non pop-up electric toaster that toasted one side of the slice at a time.  I suppose that if you were in a hurry, you'd have to "enjoy" toast done on one side...

image.png.a351122b969b2cac4532994261971f20.png

It looked something like this.  Getting the right degree of "brownness" was akin to getting a perfectly boiled egg, nigh on impossible!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Me neither.

When I was young, my parents had a non-automatic, non pop-up electric toaster that toasted one side of the slice at a time.  I suppose that if you were in a hurry, you'd have to "enjoy" toast done on one side...

image.png.a351122b969b2cac4532994261971f20.png

It looked something like this.  Getting the right degree of "brownness" was akin to getting a perfectly boiled egg, nigh on impossible!

My grandmother had one of those; she was a dab hand at getting it just right (for her, everyone else got the same).

3 hours ago, Nick C said:

Yes, I've started the song lyric status updates again... 

I do love when you go to hotels or breakfast bars and you have the toaster that has the conveyer belt and only does toast on one side. One of those little parts that I always think its great. 

Meanwhile I 'invented' (for a laugh with some colleagues at work) the Durham Scone - as it has a yellow cross. Marmalade and Clotted cream... but expect that might a tangent too far for this convo.  

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Read some Paddingtom Bear books whilst eating it!:laugh_mini:

Paddingtom Bear????

Edit: Never mind, I looked it up; that bear looks kind of cute. He reminds me of one that I had as a child. For sentimental reasons, now I wish that I had kept it as it belonged to my grandmother and then my mother and my aunt sewed "socks" on the arms and legs when they were falling apart; it was old when I got it.

Edited by J. S. Bach