The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Do you put butter under your marmalade when eating marmalade on toast?

Florence Locomotive Works

Do you put butter under your marmalade when eating marmalade on toast?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Do you put butter under your marmalade when eating marmalade on toast?

No, no, no!!!!

I won't even use a knife that's previously been used for butter to put marmalade on toast. (Other than that, I have no irrational phobias.)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

No , because 

A, marmalade has to much sugar.

B, I'm not having the toast either, because there are too many carbohydrates..

However  When  used to be allowed such things..

Buttered toast and  lime marmalade...

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

I've not used butter for years.  Not for "health" reasons, merely because "low fat spreads"* are easier to use straight from the fridge. So a scrape of axle grease followed by a dob of coarse cut orange marmalade does the trick!

(I've not tried applying marmalade to toast coated with peanut butter, however...)

* Referred to in this household as "Axle Grease"

• Agree 2

I use Lidl's spread...Danpack, I think it's called [the tubs are useful for storing model stuff]...

Butter, I use for cooking and melting onto cabbage.

For toast & marmalade, I find buttering [with spread] one side of the toast, and marmalading the other side, to be a suitable compromise.

For marmalade, I don't think Lidl's thick cut can be beaten for taste, or price...Not too sweet [tart is the description, I think?]

Not sure what the ingredients are, and not even sure if it's made in this country either....Lidl wont tell me.

Cannot use other brands as that may mean going into a Tesco or Sainsburys....something I avoid doing in  the current health climate.

Don't want to pay more than 50 pence a jar either....No sense in paying more...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Oh, do it correctly. Peanut butter is the way to go.

Apply a dollop of peanut butter and a bigger dollop of marmalade, mix the two together and spread evenly. For a special treat smear in a touch of marmite.

Bernard

Peanut butter and Marmite?  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! 

• Agree 6
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

There is a chef by the name of Lee Westcott who introduced such a mix when he ran a restaurant called The Typing Room in the old Bethnal Green Town Hall. He became famous for this dish and I was very fortunate to have him explain the details to me one day. Spread it on sour dough bread for a real treat.:o

Bernard

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Oh, do it correctly. Peanut butter is the way to go.

Apply a dollop of peanut butter and a bigger dollop of marmalade, mix the two together and spread evenly. For a special treat smear in a touch of marmite.

Bernard

Yuck! You just made my stomach turn...

You could feed it to next-doors cat.

Spread that love around!!!!

4 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I'm a non-Marmite person.  And a desire for peanut butter is cyclical, on a par with Hallys Comet...

I've never put butter on toast, or anything else if I can help it. I have an intolerance to dairy, at least the stuff that originally comes out of cow udders. 

My digestion seems to be able to cope with real mozzarella from buffalos, and so proper pizzas are not a problem. 

There is that perennial Devon v Cornwall nonsense of do you put cream on a scone (and I'm not even going into how to pronounce scone) and then jam; or do you put jam first and add the cream on top. Fortunately, I don't do either because of the cream. If I ever visit Sally Lunn's in Bath I have lemon curd. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Well the sum of all this is that I appear to have lived at odds with most of society! (In terms of bread preparation for marmalade application) 

Are you French?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

I've not used butter for years.  Not for "health" reasons, merely because "low fat spreads"* are easier to use straight from the fridge.....

We do not keep butter in the fridge it is quite happy in a butter dish on the worktop.  Never had it go rancid, does not last long enough.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Tankerman said:

For me it's peanut butter yes,

Marmite  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

In Australia it's Vegemite, but it's still NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I rarely have it now (diabetic) but if I do it's T***o's No Added Sugar marmalade without any spread or butter.  Unfortunately it's not a patch on a decent thick-cut marmalade.  I would often make it into a sandwich, as otherwise my moustache got more marmalade than I did.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, dhjgreen said:

We do not keep butter in the fridge it is quite happy in a butter dish on the worktop.  Never had it go rancid, does not last long enough.

In Australia, you can't keep butter out on the bench, not because it goes rancid, but it gets very soft. So it becomes a toss up between too soft or too hard - decisions, decisions!  Of course forward planning, would mean taking it out 15 minutes early!

The alternative is to zap it in the microwave for 10 seconds, no longer.