The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Lockdown #2

spikey

• RMweb Premium

I have been selected for Jury Service from the 15th February.

I have advised the court in good time that  I am 71 and that I have not had my first covid injection as yet.

I feel very stressed about the attending which seems to me totally against what I am told to do during lockdown.

All I get from the Court is that they will try not to call me, but I need to be available if required.

What has happened to common sense ?

Terry 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

7 minutes ago, ELTEL said:

I have advised the court in good time that  I am 71 and that I have not had my first covid injection as yet.

I feel very stressed about the attending which seems to me totally against what I am told to do during lockdown.

All I get from the Court is that they will try not to call me, but I need to be available if required.

Terry 

I’d refuse, if you are putting yourself at increased covid risk.

if they object say they are messing with your mental health and threaten to contact the press .

• Agree 1

Glad to hear you got it sorted out satisfactorily.

The other day my missus can received a jury citation for sometime in March.  It's for the High Court in Edinburgh, but she is only required to attend 'virtually'.  I actually thought most court hearings were being done that way at the moment.

Which seems like a perfect cue for this: Texas lawyer, trapped by cat filter on Zoom call, informs judge he is not a cat

Edited by ejstubbs

• RMweb Gold

I know you say it’s resolved but I did jury duty during Covid and the court service were superb at making sure you weren’t out at risk, masks, social distancing etc, it was something I was worried about but needn’t have been

(also discovered yesterday that the peadophile we found guilty was put away for 15 years which was nice!) 

I was cited for Jury service in January, this would not have meant attending the court but viewing proceedings virtually from a cinema hired for the purpose. The protective measures being taken were fully explained and I was quite happy with them, a greater concern was, when my car was unavailable, having to use two buses each way. As it happened I was not required, but would have attended otherwise. 

• RMweb Premium

Thank you all for your supportive comments.

Not sure if you all in your seventies ?

It is a proven fact that gatherings in an enclosed areas are breeding grounds for Covid however well spaced you may be

Hence as I understand even with precautions in places such as theatres, cinema and bingo halls are all closed.

So why are courtrooms exempt from the regulations.

Terry 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ELTEL said:

Thank you all for your supportive comments.

Not sure if you all in your seventies ?

It is a proven fact that gatherings in an enclosed areas are breeding grounds for Covid however well spaced you may be

Hence as I understand even with precautions in places such as theatres, cinema and bingo halls are all closed.

So why are courtrooms exempt from the regulations.

We can't really put trials on hold until it's all over. There's both risk and necessity to consider (no different from anything else really), it's not just a case of "same level of risk, same response is appropriate."  So the same reason as supermarkets are open but bingo halls aren't.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, ELTEL said:

But do they really need 71year olds that haven’t had any Covid jabs ?

That was the point I had with the court.

I agree with you on that, that should be a good reason for not being able to do jury duty. Yes, it places the burden of it more on other people than normal, which is something to generally be avoided, but these times are a reasonable justification for that.

I'm 61, and this was the second time I've been cited. But it seems so random, my Dad did jury service three times, my Mum never ! And my wife has never been cited either (maybe my Dad and I are simply classed as more upstanding citizens ?!) But I can understand why people have reservations. 

• RMweb Gold
On 10/02/2021 at 09:49, ELTEL said:

Terry 

Your post made me recheck the current rules as the cut-off used to be age 70 and I was very surprised by your post. I now see that, annoyingly, the sneaky b*****s have put the age cut off up to 75. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, john new said:

Your post made me recheck the current rules as the cut-off used to be age 70 and I was very surprised by your post. I now see that, annoyingly, the sneaky b*****s have put the age cut off up to 75. 

Yes as I found out......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Ohmisterporter said:

I have been called twice for jury service and each time notified that I was not required to serve, a few days before the due date. The first one was the Birmingham bomb trial. 

Erk, wouldn't have wanted to get involved with that one.

I've had one call that I then got the "not needed" phone call a few days beforehand, much to my relief.